TKR Steve's LTKR 2022.07.18 Recovery

I don't believe rolfing is covered by most insurance. Rolfing has helped me with pain in other areas but I haven't noticed a lasting reduction in post joint replacement pain though the knee felt better for the remainder of the day. I do think that it helped with the swelling and stability in my case. YMMV!

YMMV= 'your mileage may vary' for those of us who aren't text savvy. So true everyone is different as is everyone's reactions.

Before starting she had me stand while she observed saying she wanted to bring the left side down and I realized about 75% of my weight was on the right leg. Afterward she had me stand again and my weight was evenly distributed and I could move more easily.
Is Rolfing done with all massage, or are there any chiropractic type maneuvers?

Reactions: shr
In my experience and to the best of my knowledge rolfing is strictly massage though some practitioners may combine it with other techniques. It is more intense than other forms of massage that I've experienced and there is generally some discomfort during the session but I've always felt much improved after a session.

Thanks, I’ve never heard of it before. I’m glad it helped you!

Yesterday was my new knee's 12 week anniversary and things are going well. At PT today the knee got to 124 degrees flexion without too much pain and no swelling afterward. I've been experimenting with Kettlebell Strength Aerobics / Iron Cardio which seems to be working for me.

Yesterday was the new knee's 3 month anniversary and I'm pleased with my progress. It's still warm to the touch and a little swollen so I'm icing and elevating but not so much as before. Pain is mostly mild to moderate at this point and it's often pain free though pushing ROM lights it up. Now doing kettlebell snatches for strength and conditioning with walking or Nordic walking for easy endurance training. I'm using the A+A protocol for the snatches and am up to 100 snatches with a 18kg bell in about 22 minutes.

Well my left knee had it's six month anniversary a couple of days ago and it's doing great! I had my 72nd birthday earlier this month and I have a habit of doing birthday testing. This year it was deadlift singles up to 320#, a couple of pullups, 70 kettlebell snatches with a 44# bell in 5 minutes, and a farmer walk with a 106# in each hand for 50 feet. I'm experiencing minimal pain from my operative knee though it's still noticeably warmer than the other knee so healing is still in process. With luck I'll last another year.

Wow, shr!! You’re doing great! I don’t know what I’m more impressed by, your weight lifting or your ability to write such a short but descriptive post :heehee: Mine tend to run multiple paragraphs, so well done!

I think you will last many more years to come :) And I hope I’m doing half as well as you are at my 6 months, a month from now. Keep up the good work!

Very impressed by the weight lifting
I am just introducing some tiny weights on my arms for my exercise routine and finding that tough enough!
Interested that your knee is still a bit warmer at 6 months. Find that very reassuring as mine is still a bit warmer at 3 months.

Thanks JusticeRider and EalingGran. I've had a physical training habit since I was 16 and have found that strength comes back after a layoff faster than endurance though I'm starting to see progress there as well. I believe it really does take about a year for a full recovery but feel like I'm 90% there now. I still have slight swelling in my new knee though the only one who notices these days is my rolfer. I had a rolfing session yesterday and she spotted it right away.

Yesterday was the eight month anneversary for my new knee and it's doing well enough that I missed it. I'm continuing to see incremental ROM progress though I'm still a member of the Over DoIt Club. Last Tuesday I was feeling good and did deadlift doubles up to 295#, followed by a farmer walk of 500 ft with a pair of 24kg kettlebells. I was turning around every 50ft in the farmer walk and on some of the felt a bit of discomfort but felt fine immediately after. The next morning the new knee was angry, about a 5 out of 10, but settled down after about a half hour of movement.

I jogged about a third of a mile this morning with no discomfort. It seems that about half the ortholpedic surgeon community advise against running after knee replacement and the other half thinks it's OK after six months if you limit the mileage. I don't think I really need to run except as an emergency proceedure though I have enjoyed it in the past. Maybe I'll do a few jogs like this morning and an occasional hill sprint. I'm also thinking of throwing in the Scottish Highland Games again. My concerns with that are spinning for the Weight for Distance and the Caber Toss which are both like dancing with the devil.

Happy 8 month annkneeversary @shr!
Sounds like you’re doing incredibly well! It’s so nice and helpful to get the updates as time goes by. I’ve wondered about running…I used to like the occasional trail run, and our local 4th of July 5k, but I don’t know if I’ll run again or not. How did it feel?
That spinning and throwing weights…yikes!! Anyway, thanks for posting! Very inspiring. Wishing you all the best

The jogging felt good wearing minimalist athletic shoes and using a forefoot stike in Niko Niko fashion which minimizes forces on the knees.

If I return to the games, I'll wear knee braces to protect agains torsional forces.

Happy Nine Month Anniversary!
I agree, Life Is Good. Glad you are enjoying it and I believe you're right, more good to come!
@shr

I'm glad you're doing well for 9 months out!

Very inspirational post. I am 3 months behind you and it really helps to hear how it is going.Good luck with your plans for the Highland games!
When did you last do that?
I really must try and build up from my baby weights and get a bit more strength training....
Do you notice any temperature difference now?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Islandflyr