TKR Steve's LTKR 2022.07.18 Recovery

My new knee is a bit over 15 months old and still doing well. I celebrated by competng in the Tactical Strength Challenge which has changed a little under new management. I pulled a 335# deadlift, did 3 pullups that failed TSC judging criteria and did 16 snatches with a 24kg kettlebell in the 5 minutes allowed in the Mens Classic division. Would like to have done better but thankful that I can do this much and I know what I need to work on to improve my form for better scores.

Temperature difference between new and old knees is almost gone. New knee is 0.4 degree F warmer than the old knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for stopping by to share an update, Steve. Nice to read you're doing well. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season...yep almost here already, it's coming fast! Where does time go?!!
Happy Saturday!
@shr
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Wow, @shr!! Amazing. So inspiring for the newer knees and ALL of us to see your achievements. So glad you’re doing so well. Keep it up! :yay:
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Wonderful news! it is nice to hear from you and know you're doing well. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy 2024! I hope its a good year for you.
@shr
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Just realized I'd passed the 18 month anniversary for my new knee without thinking about it. It's still doing great.
That is a good thing. When the knee is doing well enough that you don't even think about it, it is a success story!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well with your new knee, @shr ! :flwrysmile:
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Two years on the new knee and it's still going strong! The only real limitation these days is taking care to avoid damaging the implants. I had a hiatal hernia repair surgery in March and cataract surgery in April which have been more limiting. Don't want to blow anything out!
 
Glad you are doing well! Sorry about the other surgeries- it is just one thing or another as we get older.....
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
A belated Happy Two Year Anniversary!
Good to read you're doing well after two years and some maintenance on other body parts. :wink:
Stay well and enjoy the rest of the Summer...it's fading fast. :wave:
@shr
 
If I'm not rehabbing something, I'm prehabbing in anticipation of the future.
Boy, I sure can relate!

It's great to hear how much you are enjoying your new knee. Mine is over 6 years old, and I'm still enjoying it, too. I don't think you have to worry too much about 'blowing out' your new knee. That thing should last a lifetime. The only thing that might wear out is the spacer, but that replacement is a dream compared to the total replacement!
 
I'm more concerned about major trauma than wearing out one of my knees. I do limit my jogging because of the potential for excessive wear. I retired from motorcycling because a minor accident for a normal knee could be major with the artificial ones. The procedures for my knees sacrificed the ACL and PCL and the appliance features to provide torsional stability probably don't work as well as the OEM parts. I've worn knee braces when throwing in the Scottish Highland Games for that reason. It's all about balancing risk and reward. Ever onward.
 
I've worn knee braces when throwing in the Scottish Highland Games for that reason. It's all about balancing risk and reward. Ever onward.
That all sounds really sensible. These implants do seem to last well these days but there is no point in pushing our luck. My biggest worry, after infection ( I have a few extra risk factors) is a fall. Touch wood I haven't had one since my PKR and I am hoping I am less at risk now my leg is straight. Having said that, plenty of people here seem to have had falls, with soft tissue injury but no damage to their implants- so they do seem pretty solid.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom