TKR Steve's LTKR 2022.07.18 Recovery

Thanks EalingGran!

I last competed in the Highland Games in the Fall of 2019. I'm still debating a return. There's always risk of injury when throwing heavy implements and I don't know how many recoveries I have in me. We'll see.

The new knee is still warmer than the other but it's barely noticable now.
 
@shr great to see an update from you! Sounds like you’re doing very well! Glad to hear it. Be careful with those heavy implements!! But if you do decide to compete, come back and tell us all about it :)
 
The new knee is still warmer than the other but it's barely noticable now.
Thanks. That's interesting and good to know. It's one of those things that isn't stressed in the surgery information and can be worrying. It's easy to think there must be something wrong when it's all part of the healing process.
My warmth is definitely decreased.
It is minimally warmer during the day and more definitely warmer by evening.
 
My new knee is 10 months old now and doing great. It's still slightly warmer than the older knee and ROM is almost as good. It's started to exibit a little popping when going into and out of maximum flexion. I can sit in a deep squat for 30 seconds without pain most of the time now. I tried a bit of Stand Up Paddleboarding last week and found it chalenging but doable.
 
Last edited:
Nice update, shr! Thanks for taking the time to share. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!

As for the warmth, that can last for a full year as part of the healing process, the site requires more blood supply from the body, and it is the extra blood supply that causes the heat.

Stand up paddle boarding...wouldn't have me "standing" very long, I fear. :wink:
@shr
 
It's still slightly warmer than the older knee and ROM is almost as good
Thanks so much for this. My operated knee is still definitely slightly warmer and can get more definitely warmer if I do a lot of stairs. It is something that still can worry me at times and good to hear others who still notice warmth.My ROM is also very good though- 145 degrees
One thing I notice and I would like your take on is this.
In certain positions my flexion is much better than others. Lying on my back I can bring both knees to my chest and my heels to my thighs. But standing quad stretches are quite different. I can catch my foot with my hand on the unoperated side but I am nowhere near on the operated side. Similarly lying on my tummy there is a big difference in hamstring curls.
I am able to squat quite far now without pain so long as I push my knees out slightly. Not down to my haunches though .
 
In certain positions my flexion is much better than others.
I believe this is quite normal. Some movement limitation are because our monkey brains think its dangerous to go beyond a certain point often a result of a prior injury. This is a reason to practice movement in various ways to gradually show oneself what you can safely do.
 
What you say about standing flexion is true of me as well. I believe that in my case it is partially the result of weak hamstrings from so many years on a cane or crutches.

You could try using a strap to help you lift your leg as you do the standing quad stretch - not to force anything but to help weak hamstrings lift ft the weight of your lower leg.

The other thing that can happen is if your upper quads are tight then they can restrict your flexion because they are stretched in that position - this is also true of me. In the other stretch you mention the hips are flexed and the upper quads are relaxed and cannot affect flexion of your knee.

Stretching the upper quad if your knee is sore can be tricky, so check with your PT if you can. In my thread I show a stretch that worked for me and did not hurt my knee.
 
My new knee is now 11 months old and continuing to very gradually improve. It's still slightly warmer than the older knee and ROM is not quite as good though the difference is getting harder to detect. I worked up to a 325# deadlift a couple of weeks ago and have tried some slow jogging. Knee handled these without issue though I still get the occasional ache from it when I stand without moving for too long. It also tends to be sore and stiff upon waking in the morning.
 
It's still slightly warmer than the older knee and ROM is not quite as good though the difference is getting harder to detect.
Interesting and reassuring. My warmth difference is hardly noticeable in the daytime but becomes more apparent by evening.
I am not doing anything like the weights you do but I walked down 170 stairs, a day or so back and it didn't get upset.
I didn't mean to but I was switching underground lines and the down escalator was broken. I hadn't realised how deep that particular line was until I was too far to give up and try another route. I expected I would have problems that evening but it was no more warm than usual.
Like you standing is more of an issue than walking but I can now stand longer.
 
Yesterday my new knee was a year old and still showing gradual improvement. I celebrated by deadlifting some heavy singles, working up to 335 pounds. Knees felt fine afterward. I jogged a mile and half this morning which did bring out some mild tenderness.
 
Thanks for still posting! Good to hear about longer term stories. How's the temperature difference?
 
Interesting- how are you measuring it?
Mine is not really noticeable early on but warms up by evening- when it can feel a bit tight and sore, until I rest, elevate or ice. Then it disappears again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
I haven't been measuring very regularly, but when I do I use an infrared thermometer to measure forehead temperature then both knees.
 
:cheers: Congratulations,@shr!! One year under your belt and it sounds like you’re doing great! Thanks so much for sharing your progress. I’m a little less than a month behind you and excited to celebrate my One Year! I can’t believe you’re jogging! Curious to hear how you got started and how it felt. I’ve been too scared to attempt it yet, even just down the block:shocked:
 
Thanks for the tip, shr! I enjoyed the video. It does look like a much lower impact than traditional running. To be honest, it looks more enjoyable too, particularly if you’re not trying to win any races but just want to cross train a bit or do some relaxed social running. Do let us know how it goes!
 
Had a look at slow jogging and it looks very interesting- but I think I'll wait a few more months. Are you running on grass or pavement?
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom