TKR Steph’s on the other side

@Steph that totally makes sense - I kind of stuck my oar into the convo without thinking it through

No, it’s totally fine @ebungalow - it’s always good to hear other people’s views too - maybe another time the injections might be the way forward for me. Now if I can just get past these stockings all will be well in knee replacement land lol
 
@Steph yip looks like we’re tkr twinnies. Have only managed a couple of sessions of heel slides today, leg is so swollen they’re impossible to do. District nurse coming in tomorrow for a wound check so need to see if she can give me any pointers re reducing the swelling
 
@Lilli215 I found the best thing for the pain at the back of the knee & calf was Voltarol Gel.

@Steph I put those sharp stabbing pains down to nerve endings. I seem to be getting more now in different areas, even made my leg jump twice! Glad you enjoyed the film. It's on my list to see.
 
I have also had issues with calf cramps on my TKR leg. I have been using a foam roller to rest the calf on for 5-10 minutes at a time and then move it up or down and repeat, its helped greatly.
 
It’s not cramps I get it’s generalised pain and tightness. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s any5hing to do with the achilles tendon on that leg. I had a foot operation last year and the surgeon lengthened the t3ndon to make the arch of my foot more shallow. Guess that’s a question for the physio. On the plus side got my dressing changed today and the wound is neat and clean. Clips out nxt week.
 
@Steph yip looks like we’re tkr twinnies. Have only managed a couple of sessions of heel slides today, leg is so swollen they’re impossible to do. District nurse coming in tomorrow for a wound check so need to see if she can give me any pointers re reducing the swelling

The swelling does rather get in the way of things. How did it go with your nurse @Lilli215 ?
 
I agree @Lindylee, I’m sure it’s nerve endings. It’s been a bit less today thankfully but I have been a bit more active.
Hope you enjoy the film as much as I did - it was very well done. Next one has to be Ollie and Stan I think.
 
I have also had issues with calf cramps on my TKR leg. I have been using a foam roller to rest the calf on for 5-10 minutes at a time and then move it up or down and repeat, its helped greatly.

That sounds like a useful tip, thanks for that @FCBayern. I had bad leg cramps when I had my hip replaced so am expecting them now too with all that goes on internally
 
Day 11 - stay positive, stay focused and keep on moving forward is my mantra.

Today has been a day of discovery.......

Firstly I now know I’ve got this!

Secondly, my shin aches are far less when my chair isn’t fully reclined, so am alternating now.

Third, ice really does sort out that awful itchy, burny feeling where the annoying staples and dressing are.

Fourth, I CAN do the exercises - totally amazed myself today. 3 sessions of stretching, holding and tightening plus a few leg lifts off the bed! The leg lifts were so easy, but then my muscles have always been in pretty good order.

Fifth, codeine pills can now go and do one. They do nothing for night time aches and pains, just make me feel sickly and spaced out long into the following day. I’d far sooner just hurt rather than have other symptoms too.

Sixth, Lightbulb moment with the crutches - realised walking and general overall aches and pains are far less when I use them just as a support rather than to hold my whole body weight.

Seventh and final one (I think) my knee is VERY strong - so much more stable than my badly deformed, crumbly old one. It holds me firmly and securely so this makes me happy

And there we have it, I may well pay for today and if I do then I will have enjoyed the day of near normalness.

This year is going to be my year, I’m 60 in just over 2 weeks and as they say 60 is the new 40 xx
 
Staples were taken out today - it stung a bit but it’s a nice clean incision. Got a soft dressing on at the mo as it bled slightly.

Feels sooooo much nicer than all those little bits of metal.
 
Feels sooooo much nicer than all those little bits of metal.
I remember how much better the outside of my knee felt when I got those staples out. I could actually bend my knee without those things pulling. I few of mine also bled for just a few minutes. I kept the bandage on until the next morning.
 
@Steph, not looking forward to my staples coming out, turning into a big feartie in my old age. District nurse said swelling was normal and I wasn’t to worry about not being able to do heel slides at the mo, so that was good enough for me:) :-) (:
 
I remember how much better the outside of my knee felt when I got those staples out. I could actually bend my knee without those things pulling. I few of mine also bled for just a few minutes. I kept the bandage on until the next morning.

Certainly not pulling like it did, or stinging. Had a quick look behind the dressing strip and it looks dry. I’ll keep it on till later today. Just makes me feel as though I’m getting somewhere now.
 
@Steph, not looking forward to my staples coming out, turning into a big feartie in my old age. District nurse said swelling was normal and I wasn’t to worry about not being able to do heel slides at the mo, so that was good enough for me:) :-) (:

I was pretty nervous about it @Lilli215, my hip was no problem when they took them out but as the knee feels really sore still I thought it would be painful. It wasn’t, just had the odd one or two that stung a bit, but it feels much better without them.

Sounds like your District Nurse is a keeper, just do what you and everything else will come.
 
So took the dressing off for a while, then spotted a slight seep just under my knee so popped a new dressing back on.

Other than that the incision feels a bit sore and I have awful numbness at the front/ outside of knee. Lots of fluid there as it’s quite firm to touch - if this would just dissipate then I think the whole knee would be less uncomfortable.

Also quite painful at the top of the tibia when I put walking pressure on it. Have held off exercises today so as to give the scar a chance to heal without too much stress.

Hope I can sleep tonight, I can sleep for an hour then wake up uncomfy, pop to the loo and then sleep another hour and so the night goes on. Think I do all my exercises overnight just trotting to the loo and back!
 
Think I do all my exercises overnight just trotting to the loo and back!
This is an Activities of Daily Living “exercise” and this early in your recovery it’s all the exercise you need.

This is because:

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
@Steph,

The pain at the top of the tibia lasted the longest for me. It gradually lessened as time when it but I will still feel a slight discomfort (maybe a 1 on pain scale) when I am walking quickly.
 
Thank you @Jockette, that puts it into perspective. I just wish I could sleep longer than an hour at a time at night. How come in the daytime my bladder will happily go 3/4 hrs with no issue yet at night time it’s hourly - so frustrating.

@gia2cats, so glad it’s a normal thing - all kinds of things go through your mind this early on. It’s not too bad today but then everything seems better in the daytime.

One question though, I had the staples out Tuesday evening, it was weeping in a couple of places so I had a breathable dressing put on. Today I’ve checked it again and there’s been a little more weeping. It’s just a clear yellow fluid so I’m not unduly concerned. I do wonder if it’s coming from the numb, slightly swollen firm area at the right front of the knee. Should I keep it covered until the weeping stops? Thoughts please x
 
This shows where it's seeping from. The area to the right is firm, swollen and numb. Just ringing surgery to ask for some more dressings as they only gave me two.

[Bonesmart.org] Steph’s on the other side
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom