Guest viewing is limited

TKR Staying positive

I found 5 weeks post-op I seemed to go backwards. I used to wake up wondering where my aches and pains would be that day. Hang on in there, it's still very early days and it will get better. As for sleep, try not to stress about it. I slept when I could, read my kindle, played silly games on the iPad, probably spent too long on the forum when I was awake and managed the odd power nap in the day that seemed to help. It's definitely not a linear recovery, so expect some backward steps and I'd say just walk as far as you're comfortable. A friend used lamp posts to extend his walking after TKR, extending by one lamp post a day. I hope things start to improve for you soon.
 
And sometimes it’s hard to absorb all that info shortly after surgery when we’re in pain and on prescription drugs.
 
Yes, those grocery stores seem much bigger when we're recovering! I did not do a full grocery trip for quite a few weeks. Luckily I had help.
Short walks are fine, but you'll still need to pace yourself and pick and choose your activities for a while.
 
Good morning . Again no sleep 3 weeks post op . Does anyone have heightened stiffness and pain first thing in the morning ? The back of my knee always feels tight and twangy (if that’s even a word) positivity is today’s word then there will be no tears and feeling like a failure .
I laying in bed in the morning giving myself a few extra minutes to just move my knees slowly Time to get them moving , right now I know I could just jump out of bed. I have also found for me personally sleeping under a weighted blanket is excellent, I have a 20 pound weighted blanket I get in bed get settled and I’m asleep . It doesn’t hurt my incision at all or my leg in fact keeps it quite comfortable and I seem to sleep much much better I can sleep 5-6 hours
 
I think the ups and downs of the emotional rollercoaster is completely normal and expected! It's one step forward, two steps back sometimes.
I was laughing at the word "hoovering"... I wasn't sure what that meant!! :heehee:
 
@Jp22 Hi, so true, no two days are the same! I'm at 9 weeks after having both knees done, and your story is so familiar! I still find that the day after doing something "bigger" like shopping, I'm very tired. I have (only in the last couple of weeks) fully accepted that I have to just relax and hat there is nothing I can do to move recovery along. That has been the hardest part for me, plus random fatigue. Sleep gradually improves, and you sound like you're doing really well. It's hard to know how much you "should" walk - every person is dfferent. I would err on the side of doing less, because an enormous amount of energy is needed for the body to recover.
 
I'm in my 9th week post op and still not sleeping regularly. This morning I woke up at 4:30am, laid there for an hour looking at my phone and then got up. This afternoon I slept for an hour and a half so I had enough energy to walk and ride my bike and go out for a couple hours. I can barely remember what sleeping normally used to mean to me.
 
It Took me till week 11 that I stopped taking naps during the day, that I could make it a whole 12 hours. The first 4 weeks I would be up 3 hours and have to go take a 4 hour nap
 
Hello, I’m 5 weeks out as of toda, as well. I have been going to the grocery store since week two, but I use a scooter cart. No walking those aisles for me. Nope.

I walk a lot and I’m suffering for it. Been back at work since week 3 and I should have waited. Take it easy. Walking is good, but don’t over do it. It’s not worth it. It will come for us.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom