TKR Staying Focused on Healing!

We all complained about that stiffness/tightness around the knee. That's from the swelling you have. Inside the knee capsule, there is very little space for anything extra. That fluid in there keeps it tight and uncomfortable. Are you elevating toes above nose? That will help to drain down that fluid to your kidneys and out of your body. I read earlier that you are having pain when lying down. Are you keeping a slight bend in your knee? That helps a whole lot.
 
Unfortunately you are probably going to have a certain amount of pain like this at 3.5 weeks post op. I sure did!

Maybe cut back on your activities and see if that helps. You really should be resting a lot still at this point. Gentle knee movement is all you need right now.
I’m still going for outpatient PT but more vocal about my pain levels. But today I think we overdid a bit so my knee is fussing back at me.
Also keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
and Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.
 
@sistersinhim Yes I am elevating those toes quite a bit! I read the very helpful information bonesmart shared and that has helped. I have a nice elevation pillow and I try to spend a few hours each day with that leg nice and high. I’m also getting weekly massages and the massage therapist is helping move that fluid gently too through the lymph system. With regard to lying down, I tend to sleep on my side (surgical leg side) so it is typically slightly bent while I sleep. I put a pillow between my knees so my ‘non-surgical’ knee does not press down too hard on the surgical one.
 
@Jockette it is helpful to know this is normal! And yes I think last week’s 3 PT sessions wore out my quad and knee. That darn PT therapist keeps pushing and I’m such a perfectionist I sometimes go along with it until I realize ENOUGH. I’ve promised this weekend to my knee as a retreat! It’s officially on vacation for a couple of days with plenty of ice, elevation and rest. I went to lunch with my husband today as our first non-medical outing since my surgery. It was lovely to sit and enjoy for a bit. Then back home to elevate and ice.
 
Getting out and doing something normal is so uplifting! I know it felt good.
 
That darn PT therapist keeps pushing and I’m such a perfectionist I sometimes go along with it until I realize ENOUGH.
It is way to early to be pushing it. Pushing too early increases pain. But it’s your knee. If that’s how you want to rehab it, it’s your choice.

The PT, and us here on Bonesmart, can advise, but it’s your decision in the end. Please be careful with your choices, you have lots of time to improve. Why do it the painful way?

I’m glad you enjoyed going out to lunch with your husband. Like you said, it’s nice to get out for something non medical.

I think the massages you are getting are great. I wish I could have found someone I trusted when I was about 4-6 months post op. I really think I could have used it then. Maybe even now. To be honest, there is only one person I would trust, the chiropractor I had when I used to live in Ohio. I moved to Delaware 3 years ago and I miss her so much!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom