TKR Staying Focused on Healing!

I’m beginning to feel I really don’t need PT either. I can certainly do exercises printed out on a page.
Amen! Or you could just use your knee as you normally would. It will snap back just fine!
 
I’m 12 days post TKR and knee is actually feeling better. Unfortunately about 2 days ago I started having itching along my Aquacel bandage. I tried to ignore it. By yesterday afternoon I could tell I was developing a nasty rash with red, itchy welts. I immediately took off the bandage. Over the next few hours it got worse. So last night I called the on-call physician from my OS’s practice. He told me to wash the rash area with soap and water and work to get the rest of the adhesive from the bandage off. He also said any adhesive that won’t come off, use alcohol on a q-tip and gently rub. Let me tell you what a wonderful experience that was!!! NOT!!!:gaah: Like rubbing on a very bad sunburn. Finally he said take oral Benadryl and that will help. Today the area is red, hot, very irritated and more like tiny weepy scabs. Oh and super DRY. I finally put some neosporone on the scabs/welts to try and give them some moisture. I’m going to take more Benadryl - which really makes me loopy along with the pain meds.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any words of wisdom or encouragement? :what:
 
I don‘t know what an aquacel bandage is. But we had our rtkr done on the same day. I had a big heavy rubbery bandage on. It was supposed to be water proof. By last week, it had become a gloppy mess. My OS told me i could take it off and replace it with a regular bandage, so I got a 3m teradem. Waterproof.

But it‘s really hot here so I started getting an itchy rash where the adhesive was. The incision looks great, but it has a red band where the sticky stuff is. So I went to my gp on Friday and she gave me some hydrocortisone cream, which has diminished the redness. Going back Wednesday AM for staple removal.

So not exactly the same thing, but I think lots of bandages don‘t mix with hot sticky weather and the need to shower.

Can you get hydrocortisone cream? My doc thought it a better alternative to an antihistamine (Benadryl). Or, you could use Benadryl cream.
 
Last edited:
@MMcIntosh, welcome to BoneSmart! I’m going to tag our nurse administrator @Josephine, she should be able to provide some guidance as might others. In the meantime, the following information should also prove helpful.

Don’t hesitate to reach out anytime you have questions or simply need to vent due to frustration. We’ve all been there and understand.
 
I got a rash later in recovery from kinesiology tape, the rash began to show up 36 hours AFTER I took the tape off! Mine was not near as bad as yours is, but it took 3 weeks to clear up!

I’d used that tape several times in the past on my back with no problem so I was really surprised when my knee area flared up, and no, it was not directly on my incision.
 
Michelle,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Please don't keep starting new threads.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
When I had my staples removed 2 weeks after my LTKR, the area around the incision was so red and itchy. I panicked at first, thinking I had an infection!! The PA who removed the staples said its a reaction to the adhesive, and it happens to a lot of patients. She told me to use rubbing alcohol to try and clean the remaining adhesive off. I realized then that the itching I was experiencing prior to staples removal was not from the start of the healing process, but from the adhesive. Gradually over the next few days, I was able to get most of the adhesive off with alcohol pads and also by gently washing it off in the shower. It took a few more days, but the redness and itching eventually went away.
 
So last night I called the on-call physician from my OS’s practice. He told me to wash the rash area with soap and water and work to get the rest of the adhesive from the bandage off. He also said any adhesive that won’t come off, use alcohol on a q-tip and gently rub. Let me tell you what a wonderful experience that was!!! NOT!!!:gaah: Like rubbing on a very bad sunburn. Finally he said take oral Benadryl and that will help. Today the area is red, hot, very irritated and more like tiny weepy scabs. Oh and super DRY. I finally put some neosporone on the scabs/welts to try and give them some moisture.
It does sound as if you've had an allergic reaction to the Aquacel bandage, so taking Benadryl makes sense.

Using alcohol on the rash was not a good idea, as you've found out, and it probably made your skin dryer.

It's not a good idea to use the Neosporin. It's an antibiotic and using antibiotics without having an infection is not good, because that can be what leads to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

I'd be inclined to just wash the affected area gently with plain water, no soap, and pat it dry gently. Don't put any lotions or creams on it. Yes, it will look dry, but when the rash is healed you can deal with that by using your regular moisturiser, Right now, you shouldn't use anything that might further irritate your skin.

.
 
Thank you everyone for your responses. Helpful to know I’m not alone. I will avoid putting neosporone on the rash per recommendation above. It just stings and hurts so much! :censored: I’ll stick with the oral benedryl for now and a warm wet washcloth - no soap -unless otherwise directed. The rash is weeping a bit. Ick. But incision still looks good. The rash is very close to the incision but hopefully will not impact incision. I see my OS in the morning (about 17 hours from now) so I will grit my teeth and muddle through. :dubious:
 
Yes, I had such a reaction - from Steri-strips! I also react to many other surgical adhesives such as Dermabond, Transpore, Micropore, etc., etc. This was my first knee after the strips were removed - a nice little railway line of blisters and/or skin reaction all down my wound! Some were worse than others, of course but like you said, not a fun experience! I tell them to use sutures since then!

[Bonesmart.org] Staying Focused on Healing!
 
Here’s my poor knee. You can see exactly where the dressing was from the rash.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Staying Focused on Healing!
    C89954BC-AB3F-48A6-B94E-3A8B657696FE.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 238
:console2:

I’ll go hunt my photo of my rash and I’ll tag you in it.
 
Mine looks a lot like yours, just no blisters, just red. Good luck! Hope you feel better.
 
Mine looks a lot like yours, just no blisters, just red. Good luck! Hope you feel better.

Thank you Eeek - and I’m so sorry you are going through similar. Yes this morning I have lines of blisters that are oozing fluid. Yuck. Looks like second degree burns all around my incision. I have appt with my OS in 90 minutes so looking forward to getting some treatment solutions from him. The pain is quite intense, especially if I’m trying to walk. Sigh - this too shall pass.
 
Sorry it’s so painful. Hope your OS had some useful advice.
 
My OS said it was contact dermatitis - which I already knew. He wants me to clean it one more time with alcohol to ensure I got all of the bandage adhesive off. Nooo! :bolt:I know that will HURT but I guess I need to give it one last try as we have to ensure all the adhesive is off or it will keep reacting. I’m looking for a stick to bite down on. LOL. After that’s done he wants me to leave it alone. No creams or moisturizers of any kind. He wants it to run its course. So I’ll prepare to do that tonight, take a Benedryl and hope for some sleep. I have found a cold, wet washcloth helps ease the pain for a bit. Other than the dermatitis he was very pleased with my recovery.

Oh and my OS and I had a long talk about PT as it is taking place within the same Orthopedic group where he practices. He agreed that PT should go at MY pace and I should be part of the plan. He was talking to the Director of PT as I was leaving. I’ll give it 2 more sessions and if they have not eased off and started taking my feedback into consideration, I will move on or just retire from PT until I’m ready. Feeling a bit better about that.
 
Would you please update my thread name to “Staying Focused on Healing!” Thank you.
 
Thank you @Jockette! I am now 3 1/2 weeks post surgery. Was reading through various threads this evening as today was a rough day and I needed a reminder that I’m not alone out here in recovery! I’m still going for outpatient PT but more vocal about my pain levels. But today I think we overdid a bit so my knee is fussing back at me. There are two areas I have constant challenges with: 1) pain behind my knee which constantly bothers me when lying / sitting with leg extended straight (I assume it’s my hamstrings); and 2) pain just above / lateral side of my knee. This lateral pain reminds me of when I had lateral release 7 years ago. But it will not go away. I’m sure the residual swelling and stiffness have something to do with it but it’s incredibly frustrating. I’m taking 1,000 mg Tylenol every 6 hours and doesn’t seem to do much. I had to stop taking Tramadol due to rash breakout all over my body. I take 5mg Percocet at night to help me sleep but this pain still wakes me up. I might try the ‘Seran wrap’ method starting tomorrow night and see if that helps. The stiffness around my knee feels like I have a tight bandage wrapped around my knee. I’m open to any ideas! Thanks everyone. I love having this forum. I call it my ‘group therapy’! :heehee:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom