THR Status on June 8 Right Total Hip Replacement

Many new hippies are still on a walker this early out. Please don't be concerned. When you feel more confident you will move to a crutch or cane. For now let your body regain strength and work on always walking without a limp.

You are doing well!
 
I was on crutches from the day after surgery for four weeks. I set no goals others than resting and walking a bit everyday. At five weeks I went to one crutch and to a cane two weeks later. After eight weeks walking unassisted but cautiously, making sure my path wherever I went was clear.

Your body will let you know when to make the decision to walk unassisted, don't rush it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Use that walker... It'll be okay. Don't worry that you are babying too much... It needs all the babying you can give it now.
Everyone's recovery is different so take care of your new hip and try not to compare!
It gets better every day.
 
You can't compare your progress to anyone else's. There are far too many variables and everyone recovers at a different rate. Just concentrate on yourself and your recovery and don't be worrying about the walker. Keep using it until you can walk with no limp and feel comfortable switching to a cane or crutches. It all takes time.
 
Today is day 13 and I just had my 2 week check up. Doc said everything is healing fine. The sharp pain jolts I feel are the muscles getting used to working with the new hip. He said this is normal and would continue for a very long time. He also said to stay positive and remind myself I just had major major surgery and it may be a year until I fully get the benefits of the new hip. My next obstacle is my disability length. Insurance says 4 weeks and doc say they go up to 12 weeks. I'll wait for this battle next week. It was nice to leave the house for the first time in 2 weeks. As for pain meds, doc said to continue with the plan and there is no need or urgency to quit taking the medicine anytime soon. I like the advice I read someone on this board stating when you forget to take the pill because there is minimal pain is the sign you can reduce/skip dosage. I'm getting there.
 
So I am about to start my 3rd week of recovery. How many of you folks were walking close to normal at this point? I am mostly using a Cain but don't walk smoothly with a Cain. The right side is incredibly weak where I can't put substantial weight on it. I am curious about the recovery of others at this point and what stretches/exercises are being used. Thanks, Christian


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Christian,
I was on two crutches for about 8 wks, then 1 crutch for another couple of weeks outside, gradually no aids inside. Surgeon stressed how important it was to not limp at all. He advised that when you could walk elegantly with no jerkiness, that was the time to ditch the aids. However, as we all recover from this at very different rates, you have to do what feels right and comfortable for you, no matter what other people do or advise.
Walking daily then swimming from about wk 9 is all I have done, apart from very basic stretches and now pool exercises. Patience is certainly essential for this recovery!!
Best wishes,
Diane
 
Hi Christian,
I'm almost 6 weeks post op, still using 2 crutches outside when walking and can walk about 20-30 minutes twice daily In the house I am using one crutch and am able to do most household tasks without a problem as long as I am mindful of the restrictions. My right leg is able to support me but I know I need to gain muscle strength. I have tried walking unaided in the house but after 3 or 4 steps I start to limp ( was limping badly pre op) so have reverted back to one crutch for a few more days and then I will try again. Remember though everyone is different, take your time, it's a long process
 
@a0167913 I was walking fairly good with a slight limp with the walker. Then ran out of the 12 hour oxycodone 7 days.
Now oxy 5-325 every 4 hours and it's hard to bare full weight. I was told to walk as normal as possible. Things are improving at a snails pace but it is a big improvement over pre-op
 
@a0167913 I was on a walker for about 4 weeks and I had heard stories about people going back to work after 2 days using the hip replacement technique I had! I REALLY had to stop comparing myself to others and remember that I am a unique person. I also felt that my knees took more time to heal than "they should have" but that was just in the early days. By 4 months out, my knees were fine. 7 weeks with this hip and I have no pain although its still weak. I have no doubt that I'll be back to 100% eventually however! Patience is the hardest thing for me.
 
I was off my walker at 3 weeks and have been off since 5 weeks although used it when I first got up from sitting as one of my legs wanted to act unstable and weird for the first 4-5 steps. No pain now at 8 weeks at hips but legs still super sensitive/ sore and numbers down the sides of my legs.
Didn't really notice the weakness till i did some marching PT where one leg doesn't like to come straight up. Plus still have serious tells after all day activities.
Patience is not my long suit... But man, this lack of severe OA pain had for me high as a kite!!!I will keep working on the other but finally being able to sleep and get away from that agonizing pain gives me all the hope that it's gonna get better and better.
So glad you are getting well kayak59!!!
 
I have a question regarding Tylenol. If I no longer feel real pain from my surgery, or from the incision itself, but I feel 'stiffness' starting in the late afternoon, will Tylenol help with this at all? I read the link comparing Tylenol to Ibuprofin and didn't see this question addressed. I'm close to day 28 and things started to improve within the last 3-4 days!
 
I use 1000mg Tylenol twice per day as I am 9 weeks out... And it works very well for me...I believe it was at Josephine's suggestion. Really it amazed me because I had given up on Tylenol trying to control OA hip pain for years prior. I'm not much on eating meds that don't do anything but it helps alot and I don't have any issues with it.
So glad you are doing better.
It took a month in before I started believing I made the right decision having the procedure.
Onward and Upward!!!!
 
I did a google search on Tylenol for muscle soreness which is different than the surgery pain. I found an article from the 'Cleveland Clinic' comparing Tylenol to Ibuprofin which was essentially a draw for muscle soreness. My original discharge sheet from the doctor said to take 4000 MG of Tylenol for the first month. I've gone down to maybe 2000 MG of Tylenol for maybe a week now so I'll transition back to Ibuprofin tomorrow.
 
So, I've made it a month since my June 8 surgery. I am so thankful for all the advice and postings I've read on this site. Several folks had surgery near my date and I wish them all the best in their recovery - @Mojo333, @Gone again, @GrannyC, @dougie0216, @cpollock and many others who have posted. I have found on Facebook several other Hip Replacements groups which also have similar stories to the folks on this site. The Facebook Hip sites seems to be more postings for longer term recovery than immediate post op so I'll be spending more time on those sites. I will be back on this site in the Fall as I will be doing the left hip sometime in August/September time frame. I guess the biggest thing I learned was everyone recover's at a different rate, the surgery is not an overnight success but is a process which may take up to a year to be fully recovery. And gel ice packs remains a good ally!
 
@a0167913 glad your doing well. Yup it's a slow progression but worth every step. I'm on day16 and noticing improvements every couple of days. No big on Facebook but may check it out.
 
I am leaving later this morning for my 6 week check with the OS. It's been a wild ride. Overall I have zero pain on the right hip. My walking still needs work. I moved from a cane to a hikers pole last week which helps me slow down my walk and helps the motion. I am alternating 30 minutes each day on an exercise bike and an eliptical machine to get some cardio work in and strengthen the legs - which feels great but doesn't do much on the abductor muscles themselves. I do the 'basic' leg movements given by the in house PT several times a day. I go back to work Monday which is a major milestone. Things were very rough the first 2 weeks. I started feeling better and resumed socializing around week 3. This was not an overnight miracle except the god awful bone on bone hip pain was gone instantly. Mentally I am saying it will remain a one year process. So as I've posted before I need to get the left side replaced soon. I hope the surgery is before September of this year. Physically I believe the right leg is ready to support the left but I don't look forward to going back to square 1 again on the recovery process. Lot's of thoughts here.
 
Another milestone - after 6 weeks, 2 days I return to work this morning! It will only be for one week as I scheduled the other hip for next Monday, July 31 for an anterior total hip replacement.
 
Great News on the second Hip.
I imagine your not looking forward to being back at the beginning again but This time its going to be the beginning of no hip pain.
Best wishes with work. It'll take your mind off next week.
Joe......
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom