Starting the SuperPath journey/Surgery scheduled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The puzzle is all put together and we are a go for my LTHR on May 6 at 10:30am. Just got a call from the Hospital that BC/BS of Oklahoma has authorized the procedure (with up to three days inpatient), pre op H&P passed with no issues and faxed in, we have hotel, flights, rental car lined up. three weeks and counting...

So here is a question ...when did you all start telling people you were getting THR? My close family, my staff, Board of Directors and colleagues whom I am involved in projects with know, but outside of that, very few know, (Many more Bone Smarties know than people in the community). People who know me, know I have a wonky hip...I just haven't talked about it.
 
.when did you all start telling people you were getting THR? People who know me, know I have a wonky hip...I just haven't talked about it.

Oh man....good question. Many of my family and friends will be :what:. I think that I will be telling only those that need to know at work, and my immediate family. And a couple of friends. The rest can find out after - no need for them to be concerned, and I'd rather not deal with all the questions.
 
So here is a question ...when did you all start telling people you were getting THR?

Never. My THR is four years old. My family knows and a few close friends, but that's it. My coworkers know nothing about it. Neither do most of my friends. I've had a lot of surgeries and many people know that, but I don't go into details of my medical history. It's not something that I care to talk about in general.


Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Chessie I rather not deal with all the questions. My family, work, and few friends do know. No posting on fb i shared that with family...I have gotten some pretty scary faces from some that know....My response is always.... it will be all good...I will get my life back :) Thank you to all my BoneSmart friends who totally get it :)
 
I use FB to keep up with family/friends on the east coast where I grew up, I doubt I will post about it there. @alexthecat, I'm the Executive Director, so I to let all the staff and Board know why I was going to be gone for at least two weeks, most of them have known for some time that I have something wrong and are really glad I am getting it fixed.
 
I never told anyone except my husband and children and clients. I considered not even telling them! :shrug: I made clear to all that I am a private person and would not tolerate them relaying information to anyone else (not their friends, in-laws, my parents, or siblings, or in-laws). " I agree with @Chessie I rather not deal with all the questions." My sister stopped by on Sunday and discovered me "recovering" ---- although she was trying to be "nice" and "helpful", I was glad that I did keep private. I was exhausted and stressed when she left. :umm: Really happy to have you all here -- and again amazed that I am not the only one and others here "totally get it." :friends:
 
Just found out I am going to Las Vegas (not my favorite place) next week for a conference...I usually go to this conference, but wasn't planing on going, but am taking someone else's place and everything is paid for. wish I could be excited about it
 
I told manager about a month ahead, and he put me in touch with HR to get them involved and forms filled out , etc.
I told coworkers on a team conference call one week prior...
Church and Bible study group about 3 weeks prior; they are awesome making casseroles and bringing food by on a daily schedule.
Absolutely NO facebook!
 
I am telling family, close friends and only others that need to know. However hopefully when all goes well I might tell people…….maybe I can help someone else who is facing a THR…... and tell them about this great forum:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Dieter I am scheduled the same day as you. I told close family long ago... there are some family members I have been thinking I might not tell (in laws). I have told a few close friends. I was thinking I would let all of my friends/acquaintances know about a week before for support and prayer... I have waffled back and forth on if I will tell them. I am very private. I don't do facebook or any of that... I was thinking the other day... I should tell people, but I don't want them coming to my house and driving me nuts! HA HA! :rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Dieter how nice to find your thread. Not long now.

I told lots of people about my surgery....I'm pretty open and I needed a lot of help from friends to ferry the kids to all their activities.

What I found amazing was how shocked people were(fair enough I was too!!!!) but also how many didn't realise what it involved. I did put my X-rays up on Facebook...but my page is not open to general public ...only friends, at the urging of my sister to show people what is actually done.

Even after this surgery, where I now only have a cement spacer, my close friend had no idea what was involved and expected me to be cooking and up to lots of visits. I think the hardest thing to explain is the energy drain....especially if you are the type of person, like me, who perks up for visitors and doesn't ask them to leave, and am left exhausted when I drop the happy act.....

Sorry you have to go to Vegas and you don't want to.....it's hard to do a lot of things preop...ou don't have the energy, will and inclination.

Take care
 
Thanks @Vetgirl I don't want to be a wimp about the travel, I will have a tough time with all the sitting and keeping up if I try to hang with the group I am usually around...it will be my last little adventure before I am laid up a while!
 
Good luck with your last work trip @Dieter - it is a very individual thing as to who you share your surgery with. Most folk don't tend to fully understand a THR procedure or the recovery involved and I found no one wanted to know about the procedure itself... that is why BoneSmart is such a valuable resource not only for information, but also often forming life long friendships.. feel free to share with us, remembering it is still the www :)
 
Thanks for all the opinions on the who/when to tell. I did tell one of my pasture land lords that I wasn't going to buy and cattle for this summer, but I wanted the pasture for next year and we worked out a sub-let deal with my brother-in-law. He asked several times why, so I told him...I imagine everybody in the county will know I am having THR by 8:30 am tomorrow...
 
@Dieter , just catching up on reading the pre-op threads, so happy you have your date!! As far as MRI, my reg doc had sent me for one, then when seeing the OS, he did his own xrays. So mine was a little backwards, I guess, but now question from the insurance. Hopefully they wont dicker on this. But, I would suggest talking with insurance and explaining your reasons for choosing this dr (ie, SuperPath) and the fact that you have arranged your life already to make this happen. That way, if they really do want an MRI (after all, THEY will have to cover that very expensive MRI) they should be pressured to get it done yesterday, so to speak, so as not to delay what you have planned. Keep us posted!
 
@glmrphy my OS sent in the clinical information (including x-rays) compiled from consults with two other physicians who all had the same conclusion that THR was my best option. When Blue Cross seemed to be dragging their feet his scheduler called and got to talk directly to the nurse reviewing the case and got it approved on the spot, no MRI, including up to three days inpatient if needed!
 
Back from sin city last night, excellent conference but I overdid it a bit on the walking, dancing, partying...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom