Guest viewing is limited

Starting the SuperPath journey/Surgery scheduled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dieter, Good luck with your insurance company. I had my surgery at 56, no questions asked. But then I was in such denial that I did have an MRI. I also researched it to death and visited with many doctors and a few surgeons before I took the plunge to have surgery....the SuperPATH way. Keep us informed as to how it all is going.
 
Soon enough that old college try will be a YESSSSS. Congrats on date. Hopefully insurance works out!

Hopefully now that you scheduled pain will go away like mine did and their will be a smile on your face in more ways then one!

Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Chessie SuperPath is a fairly new (2009) "minimally" invasive procedure for total hip replacement. they report much less soft tissue damage compared to posterior or direct anterior approaches, thus a more rapid recovery.
Not many surgeons have adopted this approach yet, 14 are listed on the MicroPort website broken link removed: https://www.superpathhiptechnique.com/
here is the link to the surgeon who is doing mine https://www.superpathhip.com/


Thanks. Looks like a very new procedure - I hope it goes well for you - sounds like a good doctor. :) I am more comfortable with the anterior approach for me, especially give the surgeons available (there are none in my state). I would not want to go out of state for major surgery. And anterior has great results, and very quick recoveries. In fact, the local guru here has now done some anteriors as outpatient - just amazing how far they have come.
 
Just imagine what another 5 years will make....my vet told me that they are doing well growing tissue in dogs for their knees. Just crazy what technology is up to.....thinkin' bout you bud....try to keep the pain to a minimum.
 
Did you see that @MajorHeidi went home today! Lucky Lady! Yes, with my anterior, I had asked about 24 release and he'd said he see how I was doing. I think I was feeling up to it, got really bored in hospital, was feeling no pain with just the Tramadol and Celebrex working just as well. Still only feeling tightness on top of thigh. I had truly considered going the 4 hours for SuperPath but asked my surgeon to compare what he did with SuperPath and to help me justify not traveling. He took time to explain, and I too was very comfortable that SuperPath not enough of advantage to travel. My hospital was small private 15 bed, more like hotel with nursing care so I decided to stay for the comfort, care, therapy and tad bit of extra safety but could have left Day 1. Their 0 infection rate played part too.
@Plumberbutt, I looked into the Regenexx (sp?) and they are doing some for gene therapy for hips in Pittsburgh but still experimental and not covered by insurance in Pittsburgh. ($5000 for each of possibly minimum of two injections little steep for me!)
 
@Me2 you are only taking Celebrex and Tramadol?? You are hardcore!!! I am taking the Meloxicam 15mg once a day, 325 mg aspirin, percocet or hydrocodone as needed and Tylenol. Today I was VERY active...still no college go yet, but operating skid steer and driving running errands, and driving tractor hauling manure. I'm sore tonight, but not bad by any means. I too have some swelling near the incision, but not too bad really. I'm anxious to see how well you do @Dieter with the superpath....it sounds like a great surgery.
 
Thanks @Me2 I took the day off and went fishing with a friend, great day to be out in a boat and just hang out. the hospital called while I was on the lake and said the insurance co had all the clinical information they needed to make a decision (so no MRI needed) and we would know something Monday. I do have one Ace up my sleeve, the VP and Medical Director of the insurance co. is a colleague and we are working together on a healthcare workforce project, I will call him if needed.
 
Great to be able to fall back on networking! Hoping all works out

@Plumberbutt. No Tramadol just Celebrex.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
OMG @Me2 ONLY Celebrex?? That is AWESOME!!!! You are SMOKIN' along!!! The only reason for the meds really for me is it helps me walk "normal" when I don't have the cane, but I am getting better by the day. @Josephine you certainly are correct when it doens't take a lot of PT for the hip and that walking is really such a great exercise for it.
@Dieter I didn't need an MRI either and isn't it funny how for a test that costs so much, how they can just all of a sudden NOW say "we don't need it"?? I don't know what your weather was like today at your place, but we had UNBELIEVABLY GREAT weather today, except we really are needing some rain. Glad you had a good time fishing, dare I ask if you caught any?? Or am I going to get a "fishing" story??
 
@Plumberbutt it was awesom, sunny, little breese here are 4 bass I kept (the beer can is ONLY for reference only:wink:) lost count of what we put back also kept 8 2lb crappie
[Bonesmart.org] Starting the SuperPath journey/Surgery scheduled!
 
No real smokin really just no pain......can't believe after that much surgery no pain. Tho surgeon had sent only cut would be incision and then gentle moving of all soft tissue. Even no dislocation. Much like Superpath he takes slice of bone out then removed femoral head. But still ......really no pain ...... even when 2-3 hours late celebrex last night no pain

Dieter, don't really like drowning worms myself but even I would enjoy a day really catching fish that size! Are they good for eating too?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Dieter That IS a good day!!! I'm jealous...although we had 70 deg here yesterday and that was the nicest yet here and it felt GREAT!!
@Me2 OMG....You haven't ate fish?? I like ALL kinds of fish...how bout you @Dieter ?
 
Fish is my favorite protein. Just not familiar with catch and eat variety.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Pre-operative physical this morning(no issues other than the hip!), my family practitioner said "well, its about time isn't it..." he said he would be happy to fill out the forms and fax them to the hospital...one more piece of the puzzle fit in!
 
Having all those things to do and to check off were good. Felt like a little stamp of approval for surgery with each step accomplished. One more done for you -- before you know it . . .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom