Guest viewing is limited

TKR Stairs - 7 weeks post rtkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tuesday, June 25th I get my other knee replaced. I sure hope this one goes as well as my last one. Wish me luck! I am so ready to have this surgery.

I am with you all the way, I am having my left knee replaced on 27th June (Thursday), good luck, I am hoping my will go the same as RTKR, fingers crossed for both of us.



Sheila (jumping up and down for the nearly the last time for a while):happydance: :egypdance:
 
Hi Principal. I had trouble with extension too. I remember my therapist telling me that getting my leg straight was going to be my Everest. I did all the exercises that others have mentioned but there were two others that really helped me. One was laying on the floor and get a ottoman and put your heel on the edge of it extending your leg as much as you can and just lay there. I think the gravity of it puts more pressure on straightening it. At first you wont be able to do it for too long, but just build your time up. The other one is you sit in a straight back chair (I used my dining room chair) and have another same type chair opposite you. In the beginning you just sit with your leg extended and heel resting on the edge of the chair. When you can do that then get a tote bat (that has two straps). Put a book or can of soup or something that is a pound or two in the bag. Put your leg through the straps having one strap across the top of your knee and the other below your knee to even the weight and extend your leg between the two chairs. The added weight will help extend your leg even more and you can add more weight as you progress. Build your time on this as well.
It's been six months now since my RTKR and I'm back to working out with the trainer (started back with her at three and a half months) and golfing. I still have stiffness and some swelling, but it's more a nuisance than anything else. They were right when they said it can take up to a year. Hang in there!!!!!
 
I had my ltkr on Tuesday, June 25th and came home today. Like my other tkr in December, I do not require any walking assistance (walker, cane, crutch, etc) and am doing very well. My extension is 9 and my flexion is 110. I am so pleased. Now all I need to do is relax and not ruin anything with my need to do too much too soon! I hope those of you who went through surgery are experiencing similar success.
 
Congrats! May everything continue smoothly for you. Or at least the normal but minimal "rollercoaster.":wink:
 
Joesphine and Others,
I am 6 weeks post op of a RTKR. My extension is at 5 degrees and seems to be progressing. My flexion is concerning me. I don't seem to be progressing and seem to be stuck at 90 degrees. Trying to push past that causes major pain and my quad feels like it will rip from the top of my knee cap. With the exception of my ROM flexion all other aspects of my recovery seem to be in line. I rest, elevate and ice frequently throughout the day and have been dedicated to doing my PT. My Physical Therapist does allot of stretching and tissue massage to break up knots in my calf and quad(especially where it meets my knee cap; it is really hard there). Should I be concerned about my flexion, and are there any great flexion exercises I may be missing. At what point will OS start talking about MUA?
Thanks to all who make this a great forum and recovery resource.
 
Principal, what great news! You must have a very good surgeon, plus a nice amount of luck.

Turtleman, you should really start your own thread. OK you're three plus months out and 90 and not a great ROM. What is your swelling like? It would be a shame if you ended up with a MUA and the problem was swelling and not adhesions. So regardless of which it is, pushing your knee will have the opposite effect that you want. You need to give your knee a rest and take up a new less is more approach. That's what you're missing rather than some magical exercise that will force your knee to bend more. So please start your own thread and tell us more about your activity, PT, and your anti-swelling measures. We'll help you.
 
Maryo52,
I will take your suggestion and start my own thread. I am 6 weeks out, not 3 months. Swelling is still significant; not even close to being able to see the shape of my knee. Thanks for your feedback!
 
am able to walk up stairs fine, alternating feet on each stair, but going downstairs I am still walking down like a two year old with two feet on one stair. When I try doing this "normal" it hurts and feels very stiff. Is this normal, should I push it or just wait and be patient? Thanks for any info.

The only thing that I'm slower on is walking downstairs properly. My os said that it will come.

On Tuesday, June 25th I get my other knee replaced. I sure hope this one goes as well as my last one. Wish me luck! I am so ready to have this surgery.
You are doing fine---and now you have TWO NEW KNEES!!

Those stairs certainly are pesky and, as many have stated, stairs are sometime the last hurdle that we have to get over.
 
Now all I need to do is relax and not ruin anything with my need to do too much too soon!
Congratulations on your second voyage to "the other side"! Take everything slowly and gently and do not worry---and, while you have gone through the first, we all know that it is easier said than done---the worrying, the taking it easy---and the taking it slowly!

you are moving ahead and yo will reach your destination.
 
On Tuesday I will be 7 weeks post ltkr. I fell yesterday and landed very hard on both of my new knees. I was in severe pain and very frightened. I sat on the ground for about 10 minutes and began flexing both knees. When I was able to move and bend both knees, I hoped the damage, if any, wasn't severe. But, I'm still worried! I'm a little sore but able to walk fine. I am having more difficult getting into and out of the car and also to get out of a chair. I seem to have more pain on the left side of my very new left knee than I did before. Swelling isn't an issue since my ltkr - I'm still swollen from the surgery. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I didn't harm anything. I love my new knees and don't want anything to ruin them! Thanks for any confidence you can provide!
 
I've heard Josephine reassure people before that TKRs hold up to these kinds of falls just fine. But the soft tissues take a beating.

Working on an ambulance, I once transported a woman with a broken femur. It broke inches above her knee (a good reason to wear a seat belt, keeps your knees from impacting the dashboard). The TKR was just fine. And that was many years ago.
 
@58principle if you are walking fine, I wouldnt worry, but would still make an appointment with the surgeon just to be sure. Hoping you feel better quickly!
 
Oh I so feel for you, I am six weeks post op and it made me feel sick just thinking aboutfalling. It sounds as though you have been very lucky and no harm has been done. For your own peace of mind I would definitely get those knees checked out just to make sure.

Good luck and keep up a good recovery.

Sheila
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom