Guest viewing is limited

TKR Stairs - 7 weeks post rtkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if someone could ease my concern. I am 7 weeks post rtkr, have flexion at 122 and extension of 10. I am able to walk up stairs fine, alternating feet on each stair, but going downstairs I am still walking down like a two year old with two feet on one stair. When I try doing this "normal" it hurts and feels very stiff. Is this normal, should I push it or just wait and be patient? Thanks for any info. :cry: :spin:
 
Hi 58principal, and welcome!! You are just 7 weeks out which is still very early in the recovery. It will take time yet, so don't worry. Your flexation is great!! The extension can take a while to get to 0 for a lot of folks, but it will come. One of the reasons for that difficulty with the steps is your extension. The extension is needed for that step down with the leg. But don't fret!!! ROM, both flexation and extension improves with time my dear. Just keep on GENTLY stretching the leg..don't try to force it.

Apply a heating pad to the back of the thigh for about 10 minutes before you do your leg stretches. It helps relax the muscles and tendons, etc. you can even put it on the top of the thigh to help the quad muscle relax down.

You will get there!!! We will be here to help you through.
 
Ah, you are doing well. Going down can take so long. 4.5 months after My LTKR and i still feel a tug when I go down stairs? Don't push. But keep trying. My Pt had me going down side ways holding on to the rail with both hands, and crossing my feet over each step, and I did that better than going down stairs straight. This is all about patience. At seven weeks and at seven months for some of us. If I have learned anything here it is don't cause yourself any pain. Pain - no gain.
 
Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. I love my new knee, but I am very nervous about my progress. I always seem to be a worrier :thankyou:
 
Hi Principal! Sounds like you are doing great. It will be 8 weeks Monday for me, so we're pretty close to the time. Probably a week apart. Your flexion at 122 is great. Last week I was at 116. I've been having trouble with extension. I'm down to 3 but my doctor would ideally like to see 0 but would be happy with 1 or 2. Like you I can go up the stairs alternating my feet, but going down is a different story. If I really prepare myself mentally I can do it, but it is uncomfortable, so I just go down one step and at a time. It will come. I think the more we do it, the easier it will become. It's just like when I get on the stationary bike to warm up for PT. The first several rotations are uncomfortable, but after a minute or two, I can do them with no problem.
I know everyone progresses at different paces, but it nice to see someone doing close to the same thing. From reading all the posts it will get better with time. Hang in there!!
 
I'm wondering if someone could ease my concern. I am 7 weeks post rtkr, have flexion at 122 and extension of 10. I am able to walk up stairs fine, alternating feet on each stair, but going downstairs I am still walking down like a two year old with two feet on one stair. When I try doing this "normal" it hurts and feels very stiff. Is this normal, should I push it or just wait and be patient? Thanks for any info. :cry: :spin:


You are dong fine!! Stairs---going up---are relatively easy and can be done sooner than going down the stairs. It normally takes longer to go down the stairs in the "correct" manner---but it will come. It takes strength, stamina, flexibility, gait, and practice to go down the stairs. Yo are on the right track and will be able to get down those stairs---I went through the very same thing, too. Looking back, it was about twelve weeks before I could tackle the stair in the appropriate manner!
 
I've been feeling like a weenie re going down stairs: At just about six weeks out, not ready to go there yet. Going up isn't perfect, but at least I can do it. Not painful, just not fluid.
I know I need to practice on a box/taped-up yellow pages or something and gradually increase the height. It will come, for all of us. Good to know I'm not the only one!
 
I am 11 weeks post op, I can go up slowly normally, but coming down is harder. I can do it by holding on both sides providing my leg is not tired, if it is tired then I have to come down resting both feet on s stair. It gets better so I am sure it will for you too, we are all often too impatient. I would kill for a flexion of 122 mine was 95 when last measured and I am sure has not changed a lot since.
 
58principal I have merged your threads in the recovery forum. We do like to keep all questions, concerns and updates in a single thread. It's easier to follow your recovery story that way. If you decide you would like a different thread title, please just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library on exercises for extension. It is slower to come than the flex, but it will come. You may need to focus on the exercises to help things along, though. However....you ARE early in your recovery, so it is not a time to worry!!!
 
Yes, going down stairs takes longer. I remember I was on here worried I was taking so long to do down stairs easily---but it came! and it will for you too. It will take the time it takes. Encourage the knee with practice, but the knee will do it when it's darn good and ready. :wink:
 
I am 11 weeks post op, I can go up slowly normally, but coming down is harder. I can do it by holding on both sides providing my leg is not tired, if it is tired then I have to come down resting both feet on s stair. It gets better so I am sure it will for you too, we are all often too impatient. I would kill for a flexion of 122 mine was 95 when last measured and I am sure has not changed a lot since.

It all takes time---and the kind of strength and balance with the muscles is normally the last to come back. And yes, all of us had to learn the value of the patience within us---an inner strength that we did not know that we had. Your flexion and extension will get better---it comes in small increments and then seemingly plateaus for some reason. However, it does come back and you will handle those stairs aas in the days when you were younger.
 
I've been doing the exercises suggested to improve my extension. The pain I experience during the exercises ( lying belly down on the bed with my lower legs hanging over the edge of the bed) isn't behind my knee but around the front of my knee to my thigh and sometimes toward my ankle. The same type of pain is felt when I extend my leg with my heel on a chair and let gravity do its thing. My question, is this normal?
 
I have pain on the outside of the leg above and below the knee when doing that exercise. My knee was bent toward midline almost 20 degrees prior to surgery and my surgeon said to expect the most discomfort in that area because all the dynamics have changed now that the leg is straight. Pretty sure it is a normal place to have pain.
 
Thanks for the response. Prior to surgery, I was limping badly and couldn't straighten my leg so I don't know if I'll ever get it to 0 but now I'm walking without a limp, very little discomfort, so whatever extension I get beyond where I am, I'm happy with. But my goal is still 0. My flexion is great, 125!
 
I really believe you will reach "0." It may take some time---I know that mine did for both legs---I had better flexion than extension for quite some time. That 125 is great!!
 
I went to see my os for a follow-up and everything is great. My flexion, extension are great, I'm walking without pain or a limp. The only thing that I'm slower on is walking downstairs properly. My os said that it will come. So overall, this has been an amazing journey and I would recommend the surgery to anyone who needs it. I am at 11 weeks post-op next Tuesday, so at this time, it's all good. I will see my os in December,2013, unless I develop problems, which I'm hoping doesn't happen! I will continue to visit this fantastic site to encourage others. I thank all of you for the encouragement that you gave to me. :puppysmooze:
 
Good luck I hope it all goes well. I just had a hip done after having the knee in November sure am glad this is the end of the replacement road for me. Will be thinking of you and sending you good wishes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom