Guest viewing is limited

TKR Squatting??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my TKR.Feb.3 and have had daily nausea.since then. I had my.first one done in 2010 and do not remember the nausea then. This time I have also had more pain and needed more pain meds. I have been using Gravol which you can probably get in the USA. We are all different in respects to our reaction to any surgery. I have not had too much depression but I also have a therapist and find her an.added.asset in the recovery process. Take good care of yourself. It will get better
 
Different pain medications have different side effects, and these differ from person to person. Go see your PCP ASAP. BTW what are you taking, how much and on what schedule? You're describing issues with your pain med (depression, nausea). I got nausea with vicodin but not percocet. It's a trial and error process, sometimes. Tramadol and another option. I always tell people to not hesitate to cut pills in half. It's better to take a lower dosage on a regular schedule than to take something a little on the strong side infrequently.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's more likely that your nausea is due to under medicated pain. You're a mere 2 weeks out. These things are likely to last a lot longer than two weeks!

So I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Squatting??
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Depression is a well known side effect in the lovely grab bag of recovery goodies from TKRs. I think we've all been there and many times during this process. I would imagine that going into the surgery already knowing that it might be a challenge would intensify the feelings? I had many many down days early on (oh heck, who am I kidding - I still have them, they're just much less frequent). It does get better. I think weeks 4 & 5 were probably my worst due to the exhausting, feelings of helplessness, pain, boredom, etc.....

As for nausea, I took Zofran with my meds as that's an anti-nausea med. Any pain med makes me sick and always has, but when I took my Zofran along with my pills, I had no issues! I had to fiddle with my pain meds and didn't even consider backing off of them until week 3. After that it was a trial and error sort of process. Finally, at 10 weeks, I'm down to Tylenol with the occassional Tramadol thrown in for fun. ;-)

I hope you start feeling better my friend. All I can tell you is that it WILL get better and easier.
 
@jtstag....I have merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer to keep each member's recovery story (along with your questions and concerns) in a single thread. It makes it so much easier that way to go back and read what you've gone through before giving advice. Also, when members come along and want to read how your recovery went, it's all in one place! So please post any updates or questions you have here! If you decide you would like a different thread title at some point, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
 
The blues suck

Yes they do. I had a brief case due to a recent medical treatment. I am freckly and fair-skinned and every few years treat my face with the anti-cancer drug fluorouracil in a 5% cream. You put it on twice a day for 2-6 weeks. The precancer cells inflame, scab over, ooze, the whole 9 yards. Very painful. My doctor said 3 weeks. By day 14, I practically had to be talked off a ledge. On day 17 I actually went into my old TKR pain medicine stock and took one half, which made me feel more comfortable but too drugged. The experience took me back to my TKR recovery days which were actually months of existing in a mild funk. If I could go back, I would focus for at least a few minutes every day on the future me with a happy, healthy knee. But I couldn't even stir up that much hope.

It really is all about hope . . . See if you can find a way to fuel your hope! The corner is hard to predict. I turned the corner about 4 weeks after my last intervention, when my knee began to bend past 90. I guess that was at 4 months, but I was a late bloomer. Maybe try setting teeny weeny goals that are achievable, and celebrate with ice cream. Getting your swelling down was a big achievement, for example. I actually posted affirmations around the house, including "This is temporary."
 
I am 7 weeks out from LTKR and 3 weeks out of RTKR. My knees are doing very well....no swelling in the left, very minimal in the right. I'm backing off of my pain meds switching to Tylenol, this is the major complaint I have. I am exhausted and have virtually no appetite! I also can become extremely emotional. I just want to feel like myself again! Honestly. You could place a lobster tail and a filet under my nose the other way. Anyone else experience this?
 
Entirely 'normal' in this recovery that is far from normal for everyone Mimi53. The exhaustion, the blues, the mood swings all par for the course. Appetite loss is pretty standard as well, however if you are faced with a filet and lobster tail that you don't want, if you wouldn't mind sending those on to me, that would be awesome! ;-) My appetite starting coming back around week 6. As you 'technically' haven't gotten to week 6 yet since you started all over at week 4, you've still got a bit to go. I promise you'll get there though and it will all get better!

Oh, and btw, I cried every single day for 41 days (yes, I counted), so don't think that your mood swings or blues are anything other than SOP. ;-)
 
The blues are the pits! I never felt so sorry for myself in my entire life!!!! It was awful. Even know at nine weeks post op I still get it occasionally. Not as bad but still there lurking. It is a others have said in their posts a perfectly normal side effect of having this op. It is a major operation. If you're brave enough to watch TKR operations on YouTube you'll understand. I couldn't I'm way too squeamish!! Any way eventually this horrid feeling you have at the moment will pass eventually. I had to try distraction techniques e.g. Games on my iPad, knitting, tapestry, watching tv anything to take my mind away from all of this. The tiredness drives you mad, the slightest thing like making a cup of tea or dusting wipes you out early on. A trip to the shops or garden centre wipes me out now and I sleep for two hours after! So it is all normal in the grand scheme of this recovery.

Good luck, try and stay positive (easier said than done, I know!) and try distraction techniques x x x xx.
 
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while. Had TKR feb 6. Trust me. It gets better. I was wondering for those of you at this point and beyond. Are body weight squats recommended ? I am getting major conflicting advice. Supposedly they help strengthen muscles but I have read the stress put on the new joint can cause premature wear. All thoughts welcome. Thanks
 
I'd avoid those body-weight squats like the plague. They're not necessary and they're tough on new knees.
 
The purpose of squats is to improve strength in hip extensors and quads. They do work in some case but painful in other cases. To improve strength in hip extensors and quads, you can do simple sit to stand activity. Start at a comfortable height, like 22in high seat. Every week lower the level by 2 or 3 inches the next week. You want to get down to 12inches. Start with 4 sets of 5 and work up to 4 sets of 10. This will help in your walking.
Good luck,

David
 
I think they did a number on my quad tendon. :(
 
As a photographer, I need to be able to squat and kneel. However, I haven't pushed the issue. I get down on one knee (my right) and the kind of plop over to a sitting position with my operative leg extended out in front of me. Now, I have to be careful not to damage the right knee or my lower back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
If I had to kneel, I would carry one of those garden kneeler pads from wal mart----cut in half to decrease bulk---in my camera bag. I could throw it down and kneel on it with one knee.
 
A common problem getting down on the floor or the ground is, weakness in hip extensors (butt muscles). I would suggest to perform a sit to stand exercise and keep lowering the height. It usually bounces back pretty quickly. Another good activity is to knee on non operative knee, with your new knee up and foot on floor. Work on getting up from a one knee kneel.
I had the same issue and I could not believe how weak my hips were. Now I have no problem moving from lying on the floor to standing.
David
 
If I had to kneel, I would carry one of those garden kneeler pads from wal mart----cut in half to decrease bulk---in my camera bag. I could throw it down and kneel on it with one knee.

@skigirl I use Nike volleyball knee pads. I have found they work the best, plus cushion against rocks, gravel, and free from holes. I'm on my second pair in the last 10 years. Image below is from 2010.
[Bonesmart.org] Squatting??



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom