TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

So sorry to hear about this bump in your road!
I am so impressed with your good attitude. I really enjoy hearing about your progress because you are so young. Wow aTKR at 40!
I started just smiling when someone would say "You're too young for this!" I'd think, Well it's happening to me know and this is how old I am, so I guess I'm the perfect age for it.
Here's hoping this is just a small setback because you really are making tremendous progress!

@newlybionic thanks I am doing really well, I admit I was worried with as much trouble it seemed in the beginning but I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and am almost to it! I am going to keep working on my ROM at home, I know walking alone will help, so I need to force myself to get out and walk! Enjoy the cooler weather a bit, maybe a family walk :) The way my insurance is, the surgeon has to put in an order for the pt to continue or they won't pay. So basically it's up to him LOL he's pretty easy going, so I imagine if I ask, or request, he will likely do it, but he's in surgery all day today, so I will try to call tomorrow.

@Oregon mom Just a small one, I know it'll be fine. If I had not already had one surgery and know my body and the recovery process, I would probably be a bit worried, but I got this! Even if I don't go to PT anymore. I hate that people put age as a factor of this surgery. If I had to wait until I was in my 60's or later, I would have just cried daily. There is no way I could have continued for another 20 years in the pain I was in, I would have been in a wheelchair daily because I could barely walk without hobbling. Some days I only got up to go to the bathroom when the pain was so bad. I hope that as the medical world keeps changing and things get better, people will not have to suffer for so long!

Oh man, yesterday at PT, I did some squats, basically at side of the bed, where you squat like you're gonna sit but only tap and then stand back up.. I am feeling it today! My poor quads are screaming at me lol but it felt good to be able to do it, without fear or holding on to something! I only did about 10, but think it was less. Woke up today with a borderline migraine, boooo! So here I sit avoid noise and people ;) hard to do with everyone HOME lol

I forgot to attach a pic of my 11 week old knee The arrows are the only discoloration I have, the rest are all shadows from the light being behind me there is still a little bit of swelling on the left side
7BBD3424-F293-46F7-8F42-1FBE01107975.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a bit early to be doing those squats, and your knee is telling you so. They are not essential to your recovery. You have plenty of time to do strengthening later on after you are healed more.

That is one good looking knee!!! Your progress is great, I’m so happy for you!

My PT had me do wall squats (back to the the wall, slide down and up)- I found it more comfortable because I could adjust how low I went if it got too taxing. Maybe something to try??

I hope “school” is going ok in your house!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:12 weeks today :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
Gosh, time is flying by! My knee is doing great, rarely pain at all, mostly just stiff and tight when I first get up in the morning and by bedtime as well. I am taking Tylenol as needed and not on a regular schedule. I was hoping to return to work this week but the temp agency the schools use are dragging their feet, so here I still sit. I have been out several times shopping, walking etc and no issues. :yahoo:
Getting dressed, showering, in and out of car, driving, cooking, laundry etc all are a go and can do with no issues at all. I still ice as needed but it's usually not every day now. I am still babying my knee don't get me wrong, I am not doing anything crazy, but so glad that I am past the early stages. Its not easy and there were times I was like I am not going to make it lol but in the end it all worked out.

The kids started back to hybrid co-hort scheduled classes this week, going 2 days one week, 3 the next and so on until whenever they decide we might can go to 5 days a week (may not be until after Christmas). It's been a process here with the kids home full time and me home and recovering and lord I need these kids in school LOL it's been a rough month of them being home "doing" school. Anyway, that's about it in a nutshell on my update. I will continue to check in especially when I do get to work and see how my knee is doing.

Great report!! I hear you about babying... I have to remind myself to push it a little... try it out.

And boy do I echo your sentiments around school! We start "hybrid" half days later next week, but the drop off and pick up times are almost impossible with our works schedules. Even though we are still working from home, I am on zoom meetings all the time. Should make for an interesting juggling act!

Thanks so much everyone!

Another quick update: I went back to work yesterday for the first time in 6 months (thanks covid) and my knee did great! I am a general instructional assistant in an elem school, so I never know what I will be doing each day lol. So yesterday by 8 pm I had walked over 11,000 steps, walked almost 6 miles, logged 50 mins of exercise and all that hurt was my back and poor feet! So happy for that, as I was a bit worried. I only took a couple tylenol at bedtime and did not even feel the need to ice! I know things an change in the drop of a hat but I am so thrilled that I can do so much more now. I am due to work full time starting next week, providing covid numbers don't delay that with schools open/closing so we shall see. I am still taking it easy and elevating at home when I feel the need or after a long day.

It's so crazy to look back at my early days of recovery and then I can truly realize how far I've come in 12 weeks! So many weeks in the beginning I could not move my leg up/down on/off the bed, and struggled getting into the car etc. So for those still in the early days, know it will get better, it may take longer or shorter but have faith! You can do this!!

Wow!! Space girl that is amazing. I was so glad to read this as I am going back to work the first week of October and have been worried about how I will do. I work in a hospital and will definitely be logging some miles. While I dont think I will do as good as you, you are a bit younger lol, I’m hoping it will be a mostly positive experience! i’m crossing my fingers that it will at least be better than it was before the surgery, because I was definitely limping around that hospital before I had my knee replaced!

Thanks @Muldoh! It has been a process this recovery time. There were so many days I wanted to cry but didn't but just as many that I did! I was telling myself I was crazy to have done the other knee, though my first knee went great LOL but you know each knee is different! I walked another 2 years on this one after I had the first knee done, so of course it had deteriorated more etc. I wish you well in your back to work experience in Oct! I am sure you'll do great! I did take some OTC meds with me in case I needed them during the day, but I found myself not needing them, so I skipped. :)

So great to read all of this great news and progress! Your recovery thread is very inspiring for me. (did I already tell you that? :heehee:)
I'm so looking forward to a day without pain. I'm going to just relish that day. How great to not need any medication for pain, to just have a regular old day. Congratulations!

Aww thanks @Oregon mom ! :) Remember you're two months behind me, so your time will come! It's a slow process and generally one that makes me want to pull out my hair haha but I know the end result is worth it. I am so excited about the future, I can start working on me, losing weight again, exercising, enjoying activities that I had stopped. Dh and I are supposed to cruise next May/June for our 21st anniversary since this years got canceled and it's an Alaskan cruise! I wasn't going to do that unless my knees were good to go, and now if sailing ever starts up again, it's a good chance I'll get to do it! We shall see, I am not so sure that trip will happen next year, but we'll see.

This is so good to hear! Congratulations and keep it up!
Hah, and we are supposed to go to Alaska in May also, on the Bliss, fingers crossed!

What a great goal to look forward to!
It is a slow process... I'm only at week 3 and I'm struggling... I love to read about how you are doing because it keeps my spirits up. :froggies:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009