Guest viewing is limited

TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

@WhenImOld how funny! We're supposed to go with RC Serenade of the Seas, but with the current situation I am not real hopeful right now. Fingers and toes crossed though!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a quick update, I was supposed to have my last follow up today with my surgeon and to find out if he wanted me to continue pt or not. My appt was at 10:45, I got there at 10:35, checked in and they had me go wait in my car. I was due to work at 12, which should have been plenty of time to get the appt done and get to work. At 11:15 I was still waiting, so I went in and they had the audacity to act like it was no big deal to run 30 mins behind schedule and there were still 3 other people ahead of me!!! I said well you could have called to tell me they were behind. Then they say well they didn't know they were behind...... uh what? Didn't you just tell me there were 3 others ahead of me, it's now 30 mins past my appt time but you didn't know?? Oh I was furious and turned around and left. It is a 45 min drive to my work from the drs office, so I literally pulled into the parking lot at noon, but I probably drove a bit too fast on the interstate trying to make it. I am so mad! I pulled up their patient survey on the website and gave them an earful as well. So now I have to try and reschedule the appt, but it will be after work, since I am not doing this **** again, and at a different office. Why do dr offices think they can jerk people around? I told them that it was unacceptable and that if a patient showed up 30 mins late with no call, they would not see them and STILL charge them a fee. So I asked if they had planned to pay me for lost wages of 4 hours that I took off so I could get seen. GRRRRR! I know my blood pressure was sky high this morning.

Anyway, my knee is still hanging in tough, no real issues, just tightness feeling on the back. I didn't really do much at work today, basically subbed in a class for the afternoon but I got to just sit and watch to make sure they did their assigned work. This wed is 13 weeks post op for me, so let's cross our fingers my knee continues to be a rockstar!
 
It is frustrating when you have to wait at the doctor’s office especially when they don’t tell you they are running behind. Hopefully your next visit goes as planned.

Once you’re back at work you don’t need to continue PT. You are getting enough exercise getting ready for work, driving there, work itself ,driving back home and taking a shower each day. Remember when a shower would wipe you out in the beginning of your recovery? They only thing you should concentrate on is walking heel to toe while taking full strides. That helps with ROM and extension.
 
So I asked if they had planned to pay me for lost wages of 4 hours that I took off so I could get seen.

LOL! You know, it is so cool that you are driving and going to work with a fresh knee! You are so funny; I do the same thing when I get miffed: go fill out an online form and hit SEND really hard! :rotfl:
I loved reading this little slice of life.
I'm cooped up in the master bedroom upstairs and I just so enjoy reading your posts.
:flwrysmile:
 
You know, I've detected a direct correlation between happiness and gaining flexion. I just gained 2 more degrees while reading your thread and smiling (and absent mindedly scootching my feet closer) ! Even my brat delinquent criminal butt left knee has relaxed 2 degrees more.
:chuckmarch:
 
Doing a quick drive by! lol I just hit 14 weeks post op yesterday and time is flying by! I am so tired from work that I haven't been able to get online much. I have consistently averaged over 10,000 steps a day for the last week and half or more. My knee is holding up pretty well, just tight, not really sore/hurting. I do take some tylenol midday to help and sometimes throw an ice pack on for a bit when I get home, but that's just mild discomfort. I work in the office mainly this year, so some days is just sitting around and running errands around the school and other days it is non stop busy and I am sure in a few weeks it'll get worse :p as we start back 5 days a week school full time in late Oct. Yay and boo all the same haha! Next week is fall break and we're taking a trip to the mtns in Ga and enjoy some time together and relax from this crazy school year thus far. I will try to check in again soon after we get back. I hope everyone is doing well!
 
Hello from 15 weeks and 3 days post op! So we went to Helen Ga for fall break, it was not busy at all, thankful for that lol made it much more enjoyable :) The cabin was amazing, three floors, so a lot of stairs. I did OK on them, going up easy, down not so much. I don't have stairs at home, so no practice on them here. I need to work on the curb up/down when I have time. We ended up skipping the waterfalls because just the hills around the town were enough on my knee that I felt like I wasn't ready for the even the easy paved path hikes. I didn't have trouble per se, just felt weird and so I didn't want to risk it. I did not have any real pain while gone and usually didn't even take Tylenol midday as normal. So I consider that win. We had a good time relaxing, shopping, eating (oh my did we eat LOL), and playing some mini golf and enjoying all the views. I will try to post some pics soon as well. I was glad we came home on Thurs because I had 3 days to relax before heading back to work on Monday. I should be fine, as I don't have any pain but it sure is nice to have a few more days to relax :) Hope you all are doing well!
 
@SpaceGirl, I enjoy reading what you are up to, it’s very encouraging. I’m about 7 weeks behind you on knee #2. I thought this last week, I could go longer without icing and elevating.

You work in a school! I was excited to read that as I was a school secretary for 16 years. There were some days that weren’t busy, but others were non-stop go. I’m glad that I’m not in that position with COVID. Wishing you the best!
 
Last edited:
@_Annie_ Thanks! Working in a school right now is a bit crazy but I generally love my job LOL currently I am back in the sped department since we are short staffed, but who knows how long that will last! I am still walking all over the place, up/down out of chairs etc so I am moving all day. It's been pretty good overall. Hope your recovery is coming along well!

@newlybionic thank you, we really did. I am already counting down until our next break lol though we aren't going anywhere, but my oldest will be home to visit for Thanksgiving and I haven't seen her since early Aug. I miss her so much!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here is to Week 17!!! How is time going by that fast? I guess when you're working full time, and in school full time AND a parent lol time has a way of doing that. :) My knee is still holding up like a champ, walking really doesn't bother me at all, sitting and moving, all is good. I think really for me, it's the 30 min drive home in the afternoon, by the time I get here, I am so stiff from sitting since I am constantly on the move at school. The only thing I really think I need to work on is stairs. I just don't have them accessible so it's making it harder to do, BUT then I remember that last recovery I didn't have stairs either and I just took it super easy/slow when I did come across them and by 6 plus months out it wasn't that big of a deal, I could do them with no issues, so I am sure that will happen this time as well. Just got to be patient and wait, not my strong suit ;) but I know it'll happen.

I hope everyone is doing well, I need to get some time to go read through some recovery threads and such. I miss checking in as often but when I am home, I am exhausted and/or busy with kids etc.
 
@SpaceGirl - I am doing really well, only icing at night. No pain worthy of mentioning. My cellulitis has cleared up and the infected stitch is scabbing over. Life is good! I had a gal for breakfast today that I met because we both had our knee surgeries on the same day. It’s always fun to compare and share our knee stories. It’s been rainy this week and it was wonderful not to be able to tell that by pain in my knees. I’m also back to helping hubby clean our BnB.
The last 7 years of working for our school district, I worked with the Spec Ed department too. So that resonated with me also. The Spec Ed Director and I used to cook a meal for the students and I really enjoyed the interaction with the students. I know what you mean about stiffness after sitting awhile. I’m glad you are doing so well. Stay in touch.
 
@sistersinhim yep i have been icing and elevating a lot! It’s crazy how it can hurt so much from something so little.

@WhenImOld thanks, I did that all weekend for sure!

——————————————

Went to pt today and told them about my “tweaked” issue lol they said that was likely the cause. So she worked on massaging it quite a bit. Did some type of stim (dolphin) on the scar area to break up the tissue that is still tight. It seems to be helping, had it done 3 times already and the bottom half is so much better now. Worked on some heel slides and I got to 96 all by myself, whoohoo! She was impressed since I had barely got 90 the last measurement. Also did some weight shifting exercises and walking in the gym and then stim and icing for 15 mins.

Now I am home relaxing, icing and elevating. I am trying very hard to stay awake. Just as I was about to fall asleep last night the power went out. It was out until 3:20 am, so I am exhausted. There was a bad car wreck in our rd and they took put the power pole. I am hoping for an early bedtime tonight.
 
Well good morning BoneSmarties! I've been MIA a bit but I guess in the world of no news is good news, and that's what I am going with. Today marks my 5 month anniversary and I am doing great. Do I have still have some aches and pains from time to time? Sure, but do they last? Nope! I am still working full time but after Christmas hope to go to part time, so I can focus on my school work better. Working full time and in school full time is rough. I have been slowly introducing stairs back into my life at work, but don't take them every day or multiple times a day. Just a day here and there to work on my quad, which is the biggest issue I think. I have my bike out but haven't had time to ride or felt like it because coming home after 8 hours at school, I am exhausted!

Anyway I hope you're all doing well, I miss you all, and hope to catch up soon! Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating this week!
 
Hello! @SpaceGirl Good to hear from you. Glad you are doing well. I am so thankful to be retired, but you are a young thing - much to young to be retired. Lol! Don’t see how you get everything done, though. Are you married with children? What are you studying? Hope it works out that you can go to part time. It will just be hubby and me at home for thanksgiving this year. A first for sure. We are usually surrounded by family for Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Annie
 
@_Annie_ Thanks! Oh I wish I could retire lol but no such luck for quite some time :D I am married with 3 girls (20, 15 and 10) and in school studying elementary education. I think I am a glutton for punishment lol I take 2 classes every 8 weeks, so a lot crammed into those 8 weeks and working in an elem school during covid, man oh man! I am going to be putting my notice in come Dec anyway, I just hope I can keep pushing and get hired on to sub instead. They have all the info etc, they are just dragging their feet. Have a wonderful weekend!
 
@SpaceGirl Yeah, I think you are one of the Super Women out there. I used to act like one too - 5 children (all in sports) & working fulltime. But I didn’t have knee replacements or take classes! It was hard keeping up with the laundry and cooking, I remember that from those days. I hope you can move to a sub position and finish up your classes. Keep pushing to get that sub position. Hang in there and take one day at a time, with the vaccines coming, COVID hopefully will be behind us before long. Glad your knees are doing good.
Anne
 
Good Morning BoneSmarties!

I passed by my 6 month kneeaversary without much fan fare on Dec 24th, but with good reasons, we were just busy being with family and participating in our annual holiday traditions. I rarely think of my knee these days, which is a great thing. I walked up and down some stairs at work a few times a week the last week of work/school. The going up is easy, going down, eh. I feel more unstable going down and when taking a class to and from something I didn't have time to work on it, you know? I still did the one leg at a time, but really need to get foot over foot. I know it'll happen in time, in fact when I had my other surgery in 2017, I didn't really do stairs until probably a year out. Mostly because I don't have them at home and the places we went did not have them or I used an elevator since my youngest has issues navigating stairs due to her birth defect.

Anyway, the 21st was my last day at work full time, going back to a few days a week in Jan (still hoping to get hired on as a regular sub) due to my school course load being heavier. I struggled a lot this last term between recovery, covid, and work, I just squeaked by. I think this will work better, but I will miss going into work every day, the kids, getting my walking in. So with this new year coming and being home more, I plan to try and get out and walk every day in my neighborhood with my husband as we are both trying to lose some weight. We have some fun trips planned this coming summer as long as covid doesn't ruin it, so we want to be in better shape.

I hope everyone is doing well, I am still going to try and check in as much as I can, I hope you all had a great holiday and look forward to the new year.
 
:dancy: Happy 8 Months and 3 Days Anniversary to my left knee! :dancy:​

I missed it by a few days lol oh well, the story of my life these days. Things are going really well for me, I have been walking almost 30 mins daily since Jan 4 outside, trying to get in better shape and we're up to an hour walking the last few weeks. I avg 10K steps a day most days, still working on building endurance for stairs lol as I don't get to climb them much. I can go down a little easier now with foot over foot, when I remember :heehee: it's hard to break a habit you have been doing for years due to pain. I am sure I will get there. I almost want to stop in the PT place and make them measure my knee bend/extension because I am rocking it! lol

I rarely have any pain these days, some stiffness on occassions when waking, but usually only after an extrenous day the day before. Sometimes it is so easy to forget that last year at this time (before the pandemic really hit) I was in such pain that I could barely walk. While this pandemic has thrown us all for a loop, it was the push I needed to get my surgery done and I am very thankful for that. It's given me my life back, I can do so much more now and can't wait to walk the beach again without pain! I also very thankful for this forum, without it, I would have been lost and reading horror stories on facebook scared @!#*less! So thank you to everyone who posts and gives advice, even when your outcome isn't all roses, you still inspired me and continue to do so! Have a wonderful weekend fellow bonesmarties!
 
Great to hear from you @SpaceGirl, and with such a wonderful report! :yes!: It's amazing how life opens up again when you don't have that daily grinding pain anymore isn't it? Wonderful to hear you're doing well.:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom