TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

Quick drive by, had my 8 week post op visit with surgeon. Said I am doing well, xrays looked good. Said he wanted to see me in a month to see where I was on pt (basically end of current pt sessions).

Obligatory pic of my knees, and wow do they look different...

F370A7AE-8B95-45B6-AE56-F0C78A556C13.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! That’s some serious hardware in the left knee!!! Was that the one you just had done? Was your recovery harder for the left knee than for the right knee?
 
That is wild!! What drove the difference between the two as far as hardware goes?
 
@Mrs. Ciz yep that snazzy one is my new left knee in June 2020!

@JennyLynne Isn't it? I have no real idea. When I mentioned how different they were, he said it was more durable and would last longer and allow growth... and said the other was cemented in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's PT update, ROM/Extension 101 degrees and -4, still have some work to do, but I am glad to have gained from 95 last week, each week seems to be getting better.
 
Well tomorrow marks 9 weeks post op. No big update, had pt yesterday but power kept going off/on in our area so it was not a lot done. No measurements, just so stretching, walking and practicing some stairs. The last 4 days or so I have been walking around the house without my cane. I am sure pt will tell me to lose it next week lol or maybe Fri (next appt). Sleeping has gotten much better, rarely wake from pain. I am taking the muscle relaxer still, and tylenol a couple times a day as needed. I can stand while getting dressed and do not have to sit right after a shower. Life is definitely getting better.

Pain is not completely gone, but its more just a constant ache most days. I am not at the point of forgetting I had surgery yet lol. This past weekend I went to a friends house for a ladies night in and did well. I just got up and moved around as needed and had a great time. Last weekend we went to the store, I just needed to get out of the house and I did pretty good walking. Small store and did not go all over. I am working on building up my endurance since I may go back to work sooner than later.

That is about it for my update, may have another Friday after pt.
 
Happy Friday Bonesmarties!

So went to pt today, pretty much the normal stretching, working on scar tissue, measuring, extension great, bend was over 100 without any passive help. Still working on getting more at home but pleased where I am. Worked on stairs, today was much easier than Monday doing the same. I have walked all week without the cane and pt almost said to get rid of but since I had not really walked in the yard and uneven surfaces yet, they said keep. I imagine it will be gone next week.Oh my big thing was I drove today. I am sure I could have done it already but was scared to for some reason.
Have a great weekend!
 
Get rid of the cane when you are safe to do so not when PT says to. You know your body much better than they do.
 
@sistersinhim oh for sure I just appease them while there LOL I do plan to walk around outside more, it's just been HOT and raining most days lately. BLAH!
 
:spin::dancy: 10 weeks y'all! :spin::dancy:
​
Time is flying by (in terms of weeks post op) but not in real life LOL thanks covid! My new knee is doing well, most days I feel like I don't even notice that I had surgery until I step wrong and usually in the morning when I am super stiff. Life is going on as it should, the kids are supposed to return to school in a couple of weeks, I may be returning to work at the same time, since I work in schools. Luckily I should not be required to walk around all day and there is an elevator if I need to go upstairs. I am very bored sitting in this house lol especially since it's been that way since March- most of you probably all know what I mean. I can tell that I am walking much better around the house, faster even. Getting up off a chair that is lower isn't too terrible, as long as I have something to push up from.

Just wanted to pop in and say HI lol I feel like I am talking to myself most days :) but I am off to read some other threads!
 
Glad you’re doing so well. A phased return to work is best. If possible try to start with fewer hours a day and possibly fewer days in the week if possible. You will be very tired going to work. Just the time to get ready, get to work, work itself and then the trip back home will seem like a very long day in the beginning. Have some meals in the freezer or enlist someone to do the cooking and cleanup.
 
@newlybionic I will be taking it easy the school knows I had surgery and know I am still recovering. I work about 6 hours a day, so it's not terrible and most is sitting working with the kids on their school work. I have told them though there might be some days I have to leave early due to the pain etc. I am on top of it! :)
 
SpaceGirl...i thought I read somewhere that you use a tens machine. Can you recommend one? I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks!
 
@Disney Mom I do have one, I have a InTENSity Twin Stim IV I got it from the PT office of my surgeon. It works pretty good, they have many similar ones on Amazon if your dr doesn't give/rent you one. I could rent for 3 months or keep for whatever amount was left after insurance, so maybe $50 is what I paid. I think there are cheaper ones you could buy but not sure. I also bought more pads online.
 
SpaceGirl thanks for the info. I bought one on Amazon today and am anxious to get it in a few days. I plan on using it on many aches and pains. It really helped my knee sore spot and the warmth even went away. Why we waited until my last day of pt to try that is too bad but glad we did because it helped so much. I'm going to try it on the awful buttock pain I have had.
 
@Disney Mom I hope it helps! I figured after my knee has recovered I can use on my back since I have some back pain as well. I am surprised your PT didn't use it prior. Mine does it every session after the working part lol I get ice and stim for 15-20 mins (depending on who sets it) and it is so nice. You'll have to let me know how you like it.
 
Tomorrow marks 11 weeks post op, time is flying by, especially now that the kids are "in" school. Busy days it seems most of the time. So this weekend, I went out and did some shopping, went to 4 stores, some large but I didn't walk the whole store, only to the areas I was looking for something in. I drove to and from no issues. The only thing that hurt after the shopping was my calf, holy cow tight! I could feel some tightness in the back of me knee but it wasn't hurtful, just tight. I came home, took some meds, stretched, iced and later heat. It still hurts today (went out on Sun) so I mentioned it at PT, basically I was already doing everything to get it to stop. I will continue that.

ROM was still about 110-112 degree and extension was 0, they are happy with my progression. I didn't even take the cane with me today! Did some stair work, which is hard. I don't have stairs at home, and only really come across them at work (if I stay at my current school) but I do need to be able to do them easily. Today was my 12 out of 12 pt appointments that my dr set. I had to cancel Fridays because it puts me over the allowed limit based on my surgeons orders. So now I have to call and see if they will write another one for another 6 appts, which is what PT is requesting. I go see my surgeon on the 21st already anyway, so I doubt he will make that decision until he sees me. The additional 6 appts are for working on stairs and balancing on my left leg better. So we shall see what he says. I will continue to work on my own at home with the exercises they have given me. I don't have any stairs, so I need to work on the curb at home I guess LOL

So overall I am doing well, pain is very minimal now. I sleep through the night without pain. Yes I am stiff when I get up, but once I get moving I am good to go. Even today after PT it's not that bad at all. I feel pretty good about possibly starting work next week, I am still waiting on my schedule to come through. I hope you all had a great labor day weekend!
 
You’re doing very well. Your ROM is good for where you are in recovery. I’m sure your OS will order more PT if you feel you need them. Usually the PT sends the request to the OS with information how you are doing so far.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom