Bilateral TKR Somewhere over the rainbow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I'm experiencing very sore/stiff and swollen knees. I thought Thursday's pt session pushed me too much. As a result, on Friday, I didn't go as far and it was better. The swelling and soreness is making it so difficult to sleep or simply get rest. I'm taking my meds, but it is still hard.
Today, I want to take nice gentle walks and help get the knees back in sync. Monday marks my 5th week, yet it seems so much longer than that. I can't believe we will enter August this week.
 
Last night was another frustrating night. The pain caused by stiffness and swelling in my legs has increased making any attempts to sleep almost impossible. I took the pain meds which helped, but didn't allow any long term sleep. I was up at 2am. After 4am- got small amounts os shut eye.
The pain is still there. I was hoping with taking it easy yesterday, that it would have improved. Today, I'm going to continue icing, elevating and taking it easy.
Monday is my 5th week anniversary.
 
Yesterday was my second full pt session. I felt it went well, but when I got home- the legs began to really hurt and it was very painful. I took 2 oxycodone and after about an hour the pain slowly left. Thank goodness, today is no pt. I am extremely sore and stiff today. I want to relax and just heal from pt.
I'm experiencing very sore/stiff and swollen knees. I thought Thursday's pt session pushed me too much
Goodness gracious me.

Remember this?

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

PT should not hurt, should not cause swelling or stiffness. If it does it is setting you back, not forward, as you have identified yourself. PT should be just about basic mobility, doing stretches to the point of discomfort and not beyond -- and one should always cut back if there is a negative reaction.
 
Goodness gracious me.

Remember this?

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

Yes, I remember and at the time- pt didn't seem bad- it was later that the impact suddenly hit me. On that day (Thursday), there was one machine that was different and I spoke up and stated that I thought it wasn't worth it. I stopped using it- but the damage must have already been done. You can bet- I won't use that one again. lol :yes!:
 
Tonight, I am a bit sore from this afternoon's pt session. I was happy with my ROM measurement:
R and L: 100 on my own and 105 with pt help. My extension is +1 on the left and + 2 on the right. I have been happy with the continued progress each week.
Next Monday is my 6 week point and on Tuesday I see the surgeon.
 
Today was my appointment with the surgeon (6 week check). He was very pleased with my progress and thought I was doing great. I am now more relaxed on getting continued progress with my ROM and not worrying that I am behind others at my point of recovery. I hit the 100 flex with both knees last week, but fell back to 95 when I was sore and a bit swollen. I know with time, patience and steady effort- I'll get where I should be.

On one note: I am experiencing more quad and inner thigh pain and it feels as if they are suddenly awake and making themselves known to me.
 
I'm now at home. I had lived with my sister and her family for the first 6 weeks due to the location of the outpatient therapy and the inability to drive. Once the doctor said it was okay to drive, I came home.
It is strange to have to get use to my bed again. lol It is so high- I feel like the princess and the pea.
I am still sore and stiff- the 6 week mark seemed to begin a pause in my recovery. I am now 7 weeks out and haven't progressed in my ROM in 2 weeks. I feel as if my knees are locked in position. I am going to try to continue to gently stretch them and hope I get back to my small steps of progress.
I am 100 (on my own) in the left knee and 98 in the right knee- one can add about 5 points when added pushing is involved. I was hoping to be around 110 now, but I'll go slowly and it might begin to loosen again. :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Somewhere over the rainbow...
gidem, I know it must be great to be home, but just be sure now that you're on your own that you don't overdo things and set your recovery back.

And try to remember that ROM is just a number---don't obsess over it. Keep your PT up, but go for a couple of weeks without measuring---you may be surprised at the change. And those numbers do fluctuate depending on whether the knees have any swelling. Your numbers of 100 and 98 are not at all bad for 7 weeks post op. You are not even 1/4 of the way through recovery---but look at how far you've come since surgery.

[Bonesmart.org] Somewhere over the rainbow... with joint replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our hips and knees TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.

Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you so much for your wise words. It hit the spot when I needed it.
I keep telling myself that 7 weeks is not long. I just need to be steady and continue on the road to recovery. It is a long and winding road (I hear the Beatles in my ear).lol In fact, I look forward to hearing the sweet words of George Harrison: "Here comes the sun..." :SUNsmile:
 
This past Monday, I hit the 8 week point- 2 months!! :dancy:
A few weeks ago, I had slipped in my progress, but this week I went forward again.
I am back to 100 ROM on both knees - by myself and 105 on both with some help.

As I've stated before, I am not as far ahead as most, but am happy with the progress. I have 10 more PT sessions approved by my insurance and it will then be back to work.
I plan to return to work in mid-September- just past the 12 week point. If at that time, I don't think I'm ready- I'll make alternative plans.

As it is, although my knees still feel stiff and sore- they are better than they were. The problem still remains the muscles in the knee to hip region- quads and inner thigh muscles. I've always had a problem with them since taking statins- but don't know what to do to fix it. I need the statins because of health, but have to deal with muscle issues. I've reduced the amount of statins to the lowest level- but wish diet alone could work- I've tried- it doesn't. :scare:

Does anyone else have issues with statins? If so, how have you handled it?
 
Well, my last physical therapy session is on Friday. My ROM is still progressing very slow or not at all. The right leg has been 110 and 104 in the same week. My right leg is consistently 100.
I have joined a YMCA which has a pool with 87 degrees temperature and offers aqua therapy classes. I will try to take a few of them before my return to work. They do not offer classes in the evenings or late afternoon, which is what I will require. Once I learn some of the exercises, I will be able to do it on my own after work. They have a fitness center with many of the machines I use in my present physical therapy. I have to keep up these exercises in order to not fall back and lose any gains achieved.
I am still in some pain- but I think that is normal. This week marks 11 weeks since my surgery. I still ice and elevate each day and am down to 1 and a half pain pills per day.
All in all, I am happy with the results as long as the ROM improves in the future. I am also happy that I did both knees at the same time.
Hope all is well with my fellow bonesmarts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom