TKR So much harder than I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.. Still have two weeks, but it'll be gone ::gulp:: before I know it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Be easy on yourself those first few weeks at work---You will need to lie down for several hours after working all day. If you can find a box or stool to go under the desk, so that your leg is elevated, that will help. also, I think that support hose helped me a lot when I returned to work.
 
Congratulations (I guess??). Awesome that you are finally feeling somewhat normal, just take care to rest when able because you will probably still feel some effects from the surgery. Good luck next week!
 
Sounds like a good plan to phase back into work. We're at the same spot, and I, too, am feeling more capable of being on my feet and moving around for longer periods. My husband drags me everywhere with him, and I'm apprehensive about how I'll hold up, but so far, so good.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@MidwestTKR - Congratulations on the stairs!!! I was visiting a friend at her house the other day and she went upstairs for something - I didn't really pay attention.. But coming down, she kinds of "bounced" down the stairs, not holding on the banister. - I wondered if I would EVER be able to do that again.. You have given me hope.. (Yes, I know you're not "bouncing" down the stairs yet, but this is such good news!! ) :dancy:
 
Thanks everyone. Although I still have quite a way to go for full recovery, I am encouraged that I can see that I will get there! :)

@Braunzie , I am still pretty much climbing stairs by bringing the other leg up to the one on the stairs. I can do about 2 stairs normally, but still can't climb an entire set of stairs that way, but I know I eventually will be able to do it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It will come to you. Just be patient. I am 4 months and I still have trouble. Xxx to you. Sounds like your doing well.

Tell Pt gentle. Makes recovery lot easier when u are not spending non pt days in pain. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Progress, my friend, progress. You are definitely heading in the right direction and will reach your destination in time.

Roxie
 
I like your plan of having a day off in the middle and you sound like you have a reasonable supervisor. You can ice, elevate and rest on that day.
Desk work can be tough because you're sitting with your leg down a lot. be sure to get up and walk around for a minute or so every hour and try to elevate if you can at least on breaks. It's easy to forget these two things as you get busy.
It sounds like you're progressing well. You're right to take the cane if you still get fatigued without it.
 
Yes, fatigue will be the hardest part of working. When I went back to work, I brought a yoga mat with me. I would lie on the floor with my leg on a chair during my lunch break. It did help. Also, I found compression hose to be invaluable in the first few weeks of working. I bought the light compression ones---I think I got mine online at Discount Surgical stockings, but there are other sites as well. I cut the feet off the Ted hose that I got at the hospital and used them some of the time, under pants. But, I got black ones for work.
 
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but I returned to work last week and have been so busy. I have an hour commute each way to work and then an 8-9 hour work day, so by the time I get home, I've put in 10-11 hours and I am pretty tired! I noticed my knee has been more swollen this week and I feel like I have gone a step backwards. I am assuming it is because of the fact that I am working now and not able to baby my knee any more. I brought my ice pack to work and am trying to ice while I eat lunch, but I don't think that is enough. My knee still has that tight band feeling, although better than it was initially post-op, but I still don't feel that my knee and leg are as strong as my other knee/leg. Is that still normal? I am now 13 weeks post-op.

Since returning to work, I have not been doing PT exercises because frankly there isn't the time, with working and all my ADL in the house and outside that need to be done. I am curious to see what other's have found that are at my stage or further in their recovery, especially after returning to work.

I would also love to hear Josephine's advice as well about what is best going forward. My OS restricted me to desk work until Sept 1. I have a box under my desk that I am trying to use to elevate my foot frequently, but it's a slight elevation, not very high up. I also have to get up to fax orders and paperwork that I have filled out, so I do get up and move my leg fairly frequently.

In addition, I returned to work using my cane to walk from the parking lot to inside my office. I am walking in the office now without using it and trying to do so when I am outside walking around my house or inside restaurants, etc too. I still use it to walk to and from the parking garage at my job. While I am stronger than I was, I still feel as though I have to walk slowly and very carefully so as not to lose my balance. I don't want to risk a fall and I still feel as though I've got quite a way to go to feel normal again. Is this all normal healing????
@Josephine , would love to hear your comments!!! As well as others!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
12 weeks-3 months is when I went back to work part time. It's all my OS would allow for 6 weeks. I was exhausted when I came home. Three days a week I went to PT, but then I'd come home and nap. My house was a wreck because I was too tired to take care of things. I went back with my came as steps were/are hard without a railing, but I often left it somewhere in my classroom as the kids had to find it.

This really is a year long experience and probably more if you have any type of problem, so I think what you're feeling is normal. I'd say try to elevate and ice as much as you can when you're home to help with the swelling.
 
Thanks @KarriB!!!! Boy, I wish all OS's thought their patients should only be working a half a day after 3 months. I think it would probably be best for all of us to do that. As it is, I could tell so many people were surprised that I was off for 12 weeks, but they did not have knee replacements, so of course have no idea what we go through. I do have off on Wednesday's currently. I would not be able to work 5 days a week yet, that is for sure although I am trying to find a new job closer to home so that I can get more money when I am ready to work a 5 day work week. ( I only get paid for a 4 day work week but used to have off on Monday's.) By Wednesday, I am exhausted!!!! I forced myself to stay home and rest, elevate and ice today. I think I have been trying to do way too much, even on the weekends. Last Wednesday, I was out running errands all over the place and did not rest at all. When I realized my knee was getting swollen this week and having increased pain, I knew I had to slow down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure whether his part time deal with me was due to the 2nd surgery and infection. I didn't start bending my knee till Dec. 26 (non-aggressive bending) and I asked to return to school by January 27. So there was just a month between my infection healing and me asking to go back (my substitute was not having an easy go with my class). My OS is very cautious and caring. During the month I was fighting the infection with IV and oral antibiotics he saw me twice a week.
The first few weeks I went back my best friend even drove with me the half hour to my school, volunteered there while I taught then drove me home because my knee was usually too tired. There were many mornings that I wondered why I had asked to return because just getting ready was so tiring.
 
@KarriB . Wow, I had forgotten you had a 2nd surgery and an infection. Oh my goodness. No wonder he wanted you to work part-time. I can't imagine that on top of the knee replacement! I am so happy you had such a caring OS. Thank you for taking the time to post to all of us. I really appreciate it.
 
@MidwestTKR just take it easy over the weekend. If you have things to do around the house do a little and rest. Your body is probably screaming for rest after going back full time. Everything will come back eventually, but I know how tired you must be. Relax with something cold to drink and something cold for your knee!
 
This is not the time to worry about the house--in another month or so, you can do a thorough cleaning---or hire a cleaning woman!!! Driving for an hour each way and then working is a full plate. You really need to add more rest to your day. I used to bring in a yoga pad and then lie down with my foot on my chair during lunch. It was amazing to me that people would interrupt me!!!

Also, support hose might help with the swelling. Of course you knee is going to protest so much activity. If you could lie in bed for an extra four hours on Wed it might make the rest of the week easier. Call it a script and just do what you need right now. Another few weeks and things will be easier.
 
Use WEdnesdays for a knee-cation. Ice, elevate and rest most of the day. I think you're right to use the cane for walking longer distances so long as you get tired and/or feel a bit unstable.
Keep experimenting with ways to elevate at work. I know it's tricky.
 
Week #12 post op for me and I started back to work for six hour shifts on Tuesday. I'm in a hospital lab and am up and down a lot in the course of the day, and sometimes just 'up' for a while without realizing it. I am so swollen by the end of the day. I ice with my leg on another chair during a break in the morning and at lunch. This week I'm working four days in a row. I can't wait for tomorrow to be over.

I'm doing some stretching in the morning before work because otherwise I'm stiff stiff stiff! I elevate and ice before work as time allows. I'm still doing PT as my quads are still weak and I had an MUA three weeks ago that set me behind a little. If no PT I use my little peddler with more stretching in the evening.

I guess the swelling will go down one of these days!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom