Guest viewing is limited

TKR So much harder than I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the pt sees you as a rehab patient and forgets a little where you are. Yes, the weights did not hurt, but too much pressure on the knee causes it to swell. Why not work on the stairs and the quads===leg extensions are too early for you. That way you can cut the session to maybe 50 min.

It is always important to decided whether your pain is your knee or your muscles. Many people will be a little sore after a workout. But, your knee itself should not hurt you after pt.
 
t is always important to decided whether your pain is your knee or your muscles. Many people will be a little sore after a workout. But, your knee itself should not hurt you after pt.
This is an excellent point----the muscles may be a little sore and testy---and that is OK---but the knee should not hurt you at all.
 
Fantastic news on the steps! :friends: How exciting! Now that you can do a few, you know that as you recover more and more stairs will hold no fear for you.
 
I'm at nearly 8 weeks and today my PT put 2lb weights on my ankle to strengthen quads. It didn't hurt at the time - I hardly felt the weights, but for the last 5 or 6 hours my whole lower leg - muscles and knee - have been throbbing like crazy. I'm also having slight issues after being told I had to use a stick instead of a crutch, despite falling whilst on the stick. I have very little sense of balance due to ear problems as a child and am too scared to go out on a stick in case I fall again. Is there really a great deal of difference between using 1 stick or 1 crutch? If I'm too scared to go out on a stick, how can I progress? In the house I've been trying to do without any walking aid at all, but it's still pretty painful.
 
Hi Everyone,

I have been feeling exhausted for the most part since my last PT session. I have also had increased pain in my knee. I am assuming it must be that the PT pushed me too hard, but I am not sure if that is the only cause. Or perhaps I have just been doing too much in general. How do you figure out if it's certain exercises that caused this, or was it just simply like I mentioned that the duration of the session was just too long. Last week, I was beginning to feel like there was a light at the end of the tunnel and now I feel like I moved 2 steps backwards. I have not even been attempting to climb a few steps normally like she told me to do due to the increased pain. I am going to take it totally easy today. I don't have the energy to do anything today anyway........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm guessing the weights were more than you were ready for. Back to square one: ice, elevate, rest. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Roxie
 
I think progress and regression is part of the recovery process. Frustrating as it is. Rest up. I hop e tomorrow is a better day for you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I will be nine weeks tomorrow and your letter sounds like I could have written it. Each week has gotten better and I really am doing well. Just take it a day at a time and you will get there. My only issue at the moment is I feel so tired. However, since I have joined this forum I have learned that that too will pass. Good luck and take it easy!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
8, April, 2015
 
I guess it didn't help that I went to lunch,then Lowe's the other day to help my ex-BF (we are still on great terms and may be getting back together) pick out paint and appliances for his new condo. I love doing things like that normally, but that wore me out!
 
@MimiStans , I see you are from Indiana as well as myself and are just a little ahead in your post-op recovery. Have you gone back to work as yet and if so, what type of a job do you have? How is that going?
 
I have PT early this afternoon and I am seeing the PTA. I am going to have to tell her that I have had a difficult time since my last PT session with the Physical Therapist last Thursday. I have had increased pain, increased stiffness and was not sleeping well. Last week I felt like I took 2 steps backwards after the session. I hope they understand and don't think I am just being a wimp! I am almost afraid to go after what happened last time!
 
If it's any help, I had similar problems after my last PT session. I phoned them and told them that my knee was extremely stiff and sore after the last session and was going to take a few weeks' break to let things settle down again. I half expected pressure to keep attending, but they were very understanding and said that was fine and to phone them if I wanted to go back! Sometimes you just have to be brave and make a stand - it's your knee and your pain! If you don't want to go, nobody can make you.
 
They should be very responsive (in a positive way) to you telling them your concerns. I have an on-going dialog with my PTs about my concerns. They have great explanations, they adapt the program to address matters I bring up, and they always ask if anything they are doing is hurting and adjust as needed. I wish everyone could be as fortunate as I am with my PT people.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks everyone for your replies! Well, I met with the PTA and told her that I felt my session was just too long and too many exercises in one day with the PT last Thursday. I explained about the increased pain for 5 days in the knee cap and the inability to sleep well at night. She seemed very understanding and made sure to go lighter on the exercises with me. She also said sometimes it's a fine line to figure out what helps and what makes it worse. The PT however passed me and said I looked good and seemed to be doing really well, so I explained to her what had happened after our last session and she looked surprised and said she didn't feel like she worked me too hard!!!! Which to me implied that she must think I am exaggerating or being a wimp. NOT!!! (We had a session that lasted 1 hour and 10 minutes at least last Thursday, she added weights, etc and had me use 2 of the machines as well as climb stairs, etc.) I don't understand how she can say that in light of the fact I had increased pain, etc. for 5 days afterwards??????
 
Whatever that PT thinks about the session you had with her, it was too much for your knee. It's your knee and your knee is in charge. You have to go at a pace that keeps the knee happy. You have the right to say what you will, or will not, do - and to have your wishes respected.
Listen to the knee!
 
Absolutely. And only you know what your knee is "saying." So stick to your guns and don't let your PT be over-aggressive!

Roxie
 
I'm about 5.5 months out and I went back to work at 11 weeks. In reality, I could have used more time. I still swell and get stiff if I sit too long OR if I stand too long. A little disappointed in my progress but I've learned that this journey is not always straight and smooth!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom