Guest viewing is limited

THR So good to be on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done on all those firsts @PamelaJane, I'm on 12 weeks of restrictions but am seriously hoping my driving restriction is lifted by my OS on Friday (and think it will, :bow:) Tiring out is just the pits isn't it? I'm the family "pocket rocket" so I find it particularly disconcerting... the first three or so weeks my hubby reckoned it was like watching the batteries being removed from a toy! (probably a particularly annoying toy, I do zoom around sticking my nose in everywhere:heehee:) Joking aside, the sudden and complete nature of that tiredness, or 'energy drain' is quite debilitating, so you'll be happy to know it gets better quite soon
Oh @PhatTxDiva I can't imagine going without a shower for any length of time (well I do live in Australia, yesterday for example was 95+ degrees so it wouldn't be the best for those around me either:sick:) I was allowed to shower on Day 1... and DID, with a vengeance. I had a shower chair for the first couple of weeks at home, actually abandoned it after a week, it's a pain, but I have it still in the bedroom, I use it to sit on to get dressed as it reminds me to stay within my 90 degree rule. We'll take it back with all the other loan stuff at 12 weeks so that my OS will think I've been a good girl and using it all for his required (overkill) time :rotfl: (well actually so we only have to make one trip) I must say at this stage I'll quite miss my toilet raiser, which was the one thing I didn't look forward to having to use.
Now @PamelaJane don't go overdoing it... of course I HAVE, and the price you pay just isn't worth it. Stick with the mantras, but enjoy that driving you lucky duck:driver:
 
Good for you @PamelaJane....good milestones, getting tired is so part of this recovery...so lots of naps prescribed!
Sounds like you are right up where you should be...xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You might like to read these articles whilst resting, elevating and icing @PamelaJane :) knowledge is power!

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets
 
Hi again all! @PhatTxDiva, I hope you get the ok to shower. If not today, I bet it will be soon. @craftdee, Yes, tiring out is the pits but I do feel so much better when I heed what my body is trying to tell me and take a nap.
I have an appointment with my OS next week, he is 135 miles away and looks like I will be driving myself. Good thing is that my best friend lives in that city and I can spend the night before with her and she will go with me to the appointment. @HoppyNanny, :)
@Poppet I enjoy reading the links and am doing my best to be Hip Smart!
A cold front moving in today but looks like it will be more on the eastern slope of Colorado.
My best to all!
 
Excellent idea to break your journey with overnighter with your friend when seeing your OS @PamelaJane. Might I suggest frequent stops and if possible take some ice packs and even a hot water bottle. I travelled 340 klms at not quite four weeks and found it was so much easier with these aides.

You are doing so well, I am pleased you enjoy the articles, tag me if you have any questions xx
 
Wow, today I feel as if I backslid a bit. More pain than I have experienced, not unbearable but certainly worse than it has been. Anyone else experience this. It is at the incision site ( mostly extreme tightness feeling) and pain down from my hip to my knee.
I have spent most of the day with the ice pack.
 
Sounds like it's time for MY QUESTIONS!!

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] So good to be on the other side!
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)


** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Hi @Josephine,
1. I had the lateral approach
2. Level of pain now is 3, stiffness and aching when moving around. No pain to speak of when not moving
3.Pain meds prescribed, 2 500mg Tylenol 3 times a day which I am taking. Also, 5 mg oxycocodone, 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. Today I took 1 this morning
4.Icing my hip 2-3 times a day for about an hour , longer in the evenings
5. Activity level, doing laundry, light cooking chores while sitting, short trips to grocery store and a tiny bit of housework
6. No PT exercises or exercises at home
I am feeling a bit better today. I go see the OS on Wednesday
Thanks much!
 
2. Level of pain now is 3, stiffness and aching when moving around. No pain to speak of when not moving
okay
3.Pain meds prescribed, 2 500mg Tylenol 3 times a day which I am taking. Also, 5 mg oxycocodone, 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. Today I took 1 this morning
Ah, well this may be your problem. You are only 4 weeks out and Tylenol alone is insufficient for this post-op pain. You must take the oxycodone as prescribed for the time being.
4.Icing my hip 2-3 times a day for about an hour , longer in the evenings
Okay
5. Activity level, doing laundry, light cooking chores while sitting, short trips to grocery store and a tiny bit of housework
That's a lot for 4 weeks out. Did you not read this article? Activity progression for THRs
6. No PT exercises or exercises at home
None? Ever?
 
@Josephine, Thank you for responding and your help.
1. I will begin to take the oxy as prescribed along with the Tylenol
5. Yes, I did read the article but got ahead of myself
6. I do some heel slides and ankle rotations and along with a few leg lifts but I see that I need to pay more attention to doing them. I am not being consistent.
Again, thank you
 
Well, you know, consistency isn't the be all and end all of this and heel slides aren't necessary for hips, they are a knee exercise, ankle rotations are just anti-clot exercises so since you are well ambulant now, they're unnecessary too. And if you're finding the leg lifts relatively easy to do, you don't need to do those either!

Actually hips don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Hi All, I made the trip to see the OS and I did fine driving. I stopped three times and used the ice. Thank you @Poppet.
Xrays looked great as did my incision. It was all good! I am to begin side leg lifts next week. It was all good. Hurrah!
 
Jolly good @PamelaJane - do go easy on those side leg lifts, start slow to see the effect and ice after - well done!
 
So glad it was all good news for you @PamelaJane......just make sure you stay slow & steady as it's easy to think you're done & dusted and overdo it at this stage x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello All! Checking in and wishing everyone a Happy Holiday Season. I am now just over 7 weeks out and doing pretty darn well. Have been struggling with a bit of the blues for a few reasons not related to surgery but am hoping that this too shall pass. I miss my late husband and I miss my work and my friends there. Lots of changes in my life this past year or so.
Now onto the good news: Last night I was able to lay on my surgical side for a good while before it began to ache.
And I began going to the pool again yesterday. I went with a friend and we held our own water aerobics class. It felt WONDERFUL. A little sore this morning but nothing terrible. I plan to go 2-3 a week.
I am working on turning my foot in a bit when I walk because the PT at the hospital told me I was turning it out and apparently had been for some time. It is funny because I feel like my foot is almost in a pigeon toed position but when I look down, it isn't.
 
So glad you are doing well @PamelaJane You are doing a lot for only 7 weeks post op....great news. Hoping 2015 is a good year for you & that your recovery goes from strength to strength....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello All, I am almost 8 weeks post op. For the past 6 days, I have been having quite a bit of pain. It begins mid buttock on the operated side and it very tender when I press it. The pain radiates to the side under my buttock and down my leg. It is debilitating at times. Anyone else experience this?
 
The description you gave sounds like the pain i experienced pre-op. Rest, ice and stretching helped with my symptoms; which is what you know. Sorry i do not have any insight, but i wish you well. I hope you solve this pain.
 
I had similar pains at week 10 of my recovery @PamelaJane I had overdone on on walking, housework, exercise etc (as we all
do)..... I went back to slowing down with the exercise and icing my hip & it eased off after about a week.

Do hope you feel better soon... Take care...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom