Guest viewing is limited

PKR Snooz is a "Snoozin" Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
We made it to the beach, and the ride was not too bad. I began to get stiff about the last ten minutes of the drive. Stairs (two flights) were slow but good, and seemed to stretch my leg muscles in a good way. I relaxed for the afternoon elevating and icing. We did go out to dinner and did a bit of grocery shopping, but I used a motorized cart which made it much easier. I am now elevating and icing again.

I sure hope the week will continue to go smoothly!
 
Day two of vacation has been great! I have not left the condominium today, but have done my stretching exercises, sat in the bungee recliner with legs elevated on the deck, read, napped, and best of all, I have been able to eat three meals today (small, but good!)!! Vacation is good for the mind, soul, and body I do believe. Tomorrow I think I may try the beach for an hour or so. Today is day 18 post-op!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Snooz is a "Snoozin" Susan
@Josephine , This is what my incision looks like three weeks post op. I never had staples, and these are the original steri-strips that have been trimmed as the edges curled, but the remainder are stuck like glue. Do I just leave them until my next OS visit in three weeks, or should they come off before then?
 
Sorry, but I cannot get the image to upload. The incision looks just like it did the day I came home except the swelling is gone and a few of the steri-strips are not quite as long as they were originally! Someone told me today that it is better for the steri-strips to stay on as long as possible, but I was just curious.
 
Oh just pull them off! There's no magic in this 'let them drop off' culture. We don't do that in the UK.
Never heard of it before I came on BoneSmart!
 
:snork: Thanks, Josephine! I take it you think they have down their job at this time.
 
At what point in the recovery process does the energy level start to return? Pain is minimal and very much controlled. I do sleep 6 to 7 hours per night, and I am eating well, but the least activity wipes me out! I should be returning to work in ten days, and I cannot imagine how I am going to make it. I nap multiple times throughout the day, and elevate and ice frequently (at least 50% of my waking time). Sitting on a stool and unloading the dishwasher is a massive accomplishment.
 
Snooz,
Re read the recovery articles I left for you in post # 2, there is a link to all the articles, there are several that will help answer your questions about being tired, and recovery time.
You are still early in your recovery, almost 3 weeks, no surprise you are fatigued.
I am not able to cut and past the articles for you with the new look, or I would have posted them here to make it easier for you.
Wishing you the best,
 
Thanks, @Pumpkln, I have read the threads several times, but wondered what the personal experiences of others have been. My PT says I am expecting too much to go back in ten days, and I am concerned he is right.
 
Your PT is probably right it is too soon, most need 12 weeks before they are ready to return to work.
Others will be along to let you know they did about returning to work.
 
@cjf1222 and others who have had a partial knee replacement, at what point in your recovery would you have been comfortable returning to work? I am scheduled to return at five weeks, and I am not sure I can do it. My job includes a great deal of walking/standing on concrete floors and very long days supervising students with few breaks to allow for elevating or icing. I am anxious to go back, but I cannot undo the progress I have made with this knee. I also do not want to go back until I can give it my full attention and effort.
 
I think that's a tough one. I believe recovery is same for tkr and pkr. I went back at 8 weeks but to a desk job. I was exhausted doing that but had to. I would come home and just go to bed. I also only worked part time for a couple of weeks and then 40 hours. I had a good recovery but I had no stamina for close to five months. I also could not stand that long at first. Then it just started getting better. I wish you well in your decision!
 
@Snooz I have not been well enough to work for some years so I can't adequately answer your question. My feeling, however, is that it is too soon for the activity you described. I used to teach and I can't imagine standing for hours giving lectures! You've done so well you don't want to risk a setback at this point. Have a serious talk with that knee and it will tell you what it wants!
 
Does the weather still tend to affect your knees after the replacements? I know I overdid a little yesterday by shopping (did use wheelchair with leg up) and having dinner out, but after elevating and icing last night it was doing as well as it had been for last two weeks. I had a very light day today with lots of rest, ice, and elevating. Late this afternoon, we decided to head on home since the weather was quite nasty at the beach. I iced up and began the ride home. We stopped every forty five minutes for a quick stretch and some light movement. About an hour into our trip, the knee began to ache more than it has since the first day home. I immediately took more pain meds which helped, continued the ice, and thankfully slept the last forty five minutes of our trip. The only thing I could think of that might have made such a difference was the weather. It is much cooler than normal for this time of year, and rain/thunderstorms were prevalent for the day. This was true for our whole trip home also. I am just curious if the weather can cause this, because although I was up and about quite a bit more yesterday, I seemed no worse for the wear until the weather set it in this afternoon.
 
I think whenever you have surgery and are cut the weather affects that area. I can say now right months out it doesn't. However my knee waiting for tkr does! Also driving home from a crappy weather weekend but I rested so ok with that!
 
How long did others have to wait before being released to swim/complete aquatic therapy?
My steri-strips have finally come off (after 24 days), and the scar looks great! I am anxious to resume swimming, but I have not received a response from my doctor regarding this. The PT said I need to be sure the doctor approves it first. I do not want to risk infection or setbacks, but I do look forward to returning to the water. We have a pool at home that my husband is meticulous about cleaning, so I do not have to worry about using a public facility. The incision is definitely healed with no scabs remaining. When I place rubbing alcohol on it, there is no burn or sting.
While the recovery seems slow, I am very pleased with my outcome so far. And the mantra is true: Rest, ice, and elevate!! It does work wonders!
 
Call your OS office and ask about swimming.
Sounds like you are coming along in your recovery. Hope you can get in your pool soon.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi there. I'm suppossed to return to work at 12 weeks, next week, but honestly don't think my energy level will take me through a full day yet. And it's a desk job. I'm going to ask my OS for his support requesting a few weeks of part time work before going full time. I know everyone is different, but this has been my experience.
 
Going back to work is exhausting. I had to at eight weeks but worked 3 or 4 days a week until week 12. I did nothing at home though while adjusting. My hubby did all the cooking, cleaning and shopping for a couple months probably till month 5 of my recovery. Fatigue was my major issue! Good luck!
 
The nurse from my OS called this morning, and said it is fine to pursue the swimming at this point. She recommended talking to my PT for guidance on what to do at this time for aquatic exercise and following his advise. When I talked to the PT, he recommended walking in the pool daily for the next week or two and then adding additional exercises. However, at the end of the appointment, he said I probably wanted to massage the scar for a week (no deep tissue massage) before returning to the pool as the massage could reopen the wound.
Now, I am a squeamish person, (the reason I teach....I always thought I wanted to be a nurse), and the thoughts of possibly opening the wound truly frightens me! I am thrilled to be able to apply some oil to the scar because it does feel less tight, but I am worried about reopening the wound now. What has been your experiences? I am going to upload a couple pictures of the scar. They were made this morning...four weeks post-op.
[Bonesmart.org] Snooz is a "Snoozin" Susan
[Bonesmart.org] Snooz is a "Snoozin" Susan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom