TKR Sleepilu in recovery

@Celle, I'll try to post a photo of it later on today so I can get your feedback. Probably nothing to worry about, but just want to be sure. Thanks.

I know I've mentioned clunking before and at the 6 week check the surgeon said that some looseness was factored in with the new joint to allow for it to tighten. So why is it getting worse?!! I just hoped for reassurance from any ex clonkers!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Mine comes and goes. Not consistent.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15

Just noticed the clicking today, 3 weeks and 2 days out. Must be getting better. No meds needed today at all, not even motrin or aleve. Icing for the 3rd time today. No pt today but did do sit to stand (no push off or help) 20 times total, 5 at a time. Also did some flexion. Want to get down to twice a week so I can go do some fun things like crochet or knit classes. It has been really blah dreary damp weather in Michigan. Hoping for sunshine. Flexion yesterday was 115 degrees. yahoo

You're doing fine and that bend is something to celebrate. :happydance::yay:

Just go easy on the exercises. At this stage, once or twice is enough times for the sit to stand one. Don't forget ath thatyou'll also be doing a version of that every time you sit down or stand up again during the day.

Thanks for your praise. It sure helps cause I get so worn out. I know it is the healing process. I tried to talk my therapist to twice a week but I think maybe another week of three times . Nothing else to do in winter here in Beaverton MI. It is so nice to look through this forum for any problem that one might be experiencing. Friends all over the world.

I tried to talk my therapist to twice a week but I think maybe another week of three times .
Remember that your therapist works for you, not the other way round. You are in charge of what happens to your knee.
If you want only twice a week, then only go twice a week. You don't have to negotiate and you don't have to please your therapist.

I drove for the first time yesterday! 10 mins drive, 15 mins walk then drove home again.
I can feel my world expanding by the day!

have found week 7 to be more painful than last week.
I actually gave up trying to figure out why I had migrating pains that would pop up and aggravate me---I guess it is the boy's healing process, and they will subside in time.
The clonking & clunking & rattling seems to be getting worse instead of better.
When I returned to the classroom, my students reported that they could, at times, hear my knees making a few noises in stereo, but I think if you are focused on the noises, they will get louder---or at least appear to get louder, as you slower become more active.

Do my knees still clunk? Yep, from time to time I notice them, but as the muscle mass is built up, it muffles it a bit, and, as you continue to hear it, you actually become de-sensitized to it. Do not worry about it---it is simply your metal and plastic knee doing what it is supposed to do, and down the road, you will very rarely notice the feeling or the sound.

I drove for the first time yesterday! 10 mins drive, 15 mins walk then drove home again.
I can feel my world expanding by the day!
:yes!::yes!:That is a great victory in the recovery battles that you have been waging!

It is a grand step in reaching the "normalcy" that we all crave!

I'm 3 months out and my knee still clunks and knocks. It's worse if it's swollen but having been reassured by my OS that it's normal, I notice it less now. My knee also makes a painless tearing noise when I straighten it. Again, when it's more swollen; he reassured me that's normal too and caused by the movement of my knee cap. It can be a bit strange adapting to the vagaries of our bionic bits!

Another drive out and a 20 minute walk in gale force winds today! So lovely to see my old man (the dog) have some grass under his feet.
I got home, elevated and iced and didn't feel remotely guilty about the pile of ironing building in the corner of the room. It can wait is my new mantra!
I also got the hot water bottle of my twangy back of knee today & it's felt much better for it.

And to top it all ... I finally shaved my legs, massaged my scar and put my toe ring back on ~ way hay!

I am still very much taking it all a day at a time. Very noisy, clonky and gnawing again today.
I hate the noises, it audible clonks with every step.
Goal for this week is to get in the pool (Hence the leg shaving!!)

Ok, this is just a thought, but maybe your clunking has increased as your muscle tone has decreased (due to all the necessary resting involved in recovery). As I recovered my RTKR my old LTKR started clunking again though it had been long silent. Now that I am back on my feet and building muscle again neither knee clunks. Exception: when I sit on a bench or something high enough to swing my lower legs. You might be ready to begin gently strengthening at about 12 weeks post op. Ask your OS.

I think (& hope) you're right.
It clonks less when it's swollen so obviously is less noisy with less room to manoeuvre.
I am doing some gentle quad building now and I think getting back in the pool will be the biggest test!

I agree @Clipless. Not only is my knee noisier when swollen but also when I'm most relaxed. If I make a conscious effort to walk with a correct gait and keep my knee "together". The clunking is definitely less. It's very easy to shake it around to see if it still clunks! It used to make some horrible and painful clunks before the op. At least now they clunks don't hurt!

I am still very much taking it all a day at a time. Very noisy, clonky and gnawing again today.
I hate the noises, it audible clonks with every step.

Ok, this is just a thought, but maybe your clunking has increased as your muscle tone has decreased (due to all the necessary resting involved in recovery).
I agree---with the muscles strengthening and gaining muscle mass, you will notice those noises less and less. Another point to ponder is that you will become somewhat desensitized to the noises, as well. I rarely feel or hear the clunking that both knees made in the early days of recovery---they still do from time to time, but the noises do not concern me at all.

@Kelpie
No it's not a wriggle to clonk scenario. It's a clunk clonk on every single step.
I agree, we are just sooo focused on what's going on. Maybe getting back to work will be the best distraction ever!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exercise76
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom