THR Six days post surgery<

Well one month in and my hip is hurting today after a crazy labrador came running out of a house barking at me.
Shot out of my skin and hip did a somersault !!
Grrr sat here recovering now :doggie:
 
Oh no! Must have been scary. I'ts good you're okay!
Rest and take it easy today.
Hope your weekend is a good one!
@Cathippy
 
Thanks @Layla
Was attacked by a dog several years ago leaving me with an infected bite and six weeks off work. No fear of dogs generally now but wasnt expecting this one which came out of blue !
Hip settled back into new socket now :)
 
Well lower and upper back not happy today. It is so difficult to manage this but trying to stay off phone and move round might help. Think I might go home for a few days this week as more to do there.
Also think I overdid walking yesterday and the dog as hip and thigh achy today.
Sigh..... :swoon:
 
Four weeks in and had started to reduce pain meds as ready too.
However over last week developed lower back pain, no surprise there as long term issues with back flare ups managed well pre hip probs.
Pain now mid and upper back and thinking back sleeping and crutch use not helping but unavoidable at present.
Any suggestions for things I could do to relieve apart from ice and pain meds given restrictions ?
Thanks
:eeeuw:
 
@Cathippy you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
Any suggestions for things I could do to relieve apart from ice and pain meds given restrictions ?
Sounds like you may be reducing your pain meds too early. There is no rush to do this. You need your meds to gain mobility.

Try a small pillow under your knees if you are back sleeping. This eases the pressure on your lower back.
 
One month Hipversary @Cathippy .:happyfeet:
One month out can be a frustrating time and sudden movements and small mishaps will cause new aches.
I had to break up all the sitting with short walks and stretching!
I have used heating pad on lower back while icing my quads!:umm:

Hope today is a better day...:console2:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wish you were feeling better. Looks like you received some good advice above.
I hope it works and your pain eases soon.
Wishing you comfort!
@Cathippy
 
Rang physio re back pain day before yesterday. Suggested I did some pelvic tilting exercises and change to 3 point walking gait with crutches which I have to use for 3mths.
Worse when I wake as pain in upper back goes through into chest hurting when I breathe. In more pain now than I waa at the beginning and putting me off walking more. Going to have to increase pain meds and concerned might not be able to drive as a result !
Feeling stuck now on my recovery journey :oyvey:
 
:console2:Have you had your back checked to make sure it wasn't injured during your dog incident?
Or your ribs?
I'm sorry you are hurting...is there an OS appointment soon?
Maybe a walker would do better if able to get it to height so you aren't leaning forward badly?
Hugs and healing vibes :angel:
 
Hi Mojo. No one to see me now till 14/1.
My surgeon insists on 2 crutches x 3/12 and if this pain continues which now affecting my hands continues I will end up too zonked on pain relief to do anything.
If still no improvement by Monday will ring physio again.
Appreciate hug, healing vibes and advice x
 
Hi @Cathippy
Sorry you're struggling so.
Try to take it easy over the weekend and see if it eases.
Wishing you comfort!
 
Pain in back shoulders and hands much better yesterday but think that is because I didnt use crutches on Saturday afternoon as was house bound due to weather ! Took my first few independent steps with no aids yesterday ....felt good.
Back on crutches today though as have to use 3/12 :censored:
Just have to hope my back gets use to them.
 
How long did your OS want you on 3 point gait with crutches?
6 weeks? Sounds like you are ready for just a cane...and that the crutches are really bothering your upper back and chest?
Perhaps he is a tad conservative and the crutches are really causing their own issues.
Guess you'll be running this by the PT today?
I never used crutches...many have, but sounds to me like you are ready to "graduate " to something that is less troublesome for your back.
 
Thanks Mojo. It is the surgeon who insists all his patients do this. Going to see how I go and do a bit of 1 and 2 crutches.
No Physio appt till 14th but can call them.
 
It will be six weeks on Saturday since I had my hip replaced. Threw the compression stockings off when I finished the blood thinning injections a week ago.
Moved back home after being looked after by my wonderful 88yr old mum yesterday. Ready now to be doing more...just need to get driving myself now which I can from Saturday.
Hip healing well but oh boy back pain is really bothering me now and struggling with using crutches as limited by arm hand and wrist pain as to how far I can walk.
Managed to get hospital physio slot Friday and hoping they will be able to help as not got appt with community physio till Feb. If no joy with NHS will pay to see someone the minute xmas is over !
Frustrated by ongoing limitations but only another six weeks...so glad no complications.
Really grateful to moderators on here. You do a fantastic job as it is very much a self help recovery process and would not hesitate to recommend you.
Wishing you and my fellow hippies all the best for Christmas.
Catherine

:merry christmas:
 
:wave:Good to know things are getting better:egypdance:

You are doing just great...so be patient. You will need to get Alot of mileage out of these hips to keep up with your mother:heehee:

Hope your holidays are bright!:treestar:
 
Last edited:
@Cathippy I have chronic lower back problems and they really kicked off after my LTHR. I saw an osteopath privately for few sessions. He also did acupuncture. Worth a try!
 
On behalf of BoneSmart, thank you for your kind words.

Losing those nasty compression socks is reason to celebrate in itself :yay: :happydance:
An 88 yr old mother with the ability to care for you still. How wonderful! You're blessed!
Only two more days until you can drive :driver: Watch out, here comes Cathippy.
I hope you find relief with your back issues. Wishing you comfort and a very Merry Christmas!
@Cathippy
:merry christmas:
 
Was seven weeks post op on Saturday so thought I would update on progress just in case I do end up needing the other hip replacing.
Still sleeping a lot at night and have short nap/s in day but know this is normal.
Doing basic hip exercises plus core ones daily ten reps but thinking I do need to get back to back exercises just restrictions making me cautious.
Walking using pedometer and this week averaging 40 mins a day. Using crutches but they limit me as cause upper body a d hand/wrist pain.
Walk round at home without crutches now and whilst against my surgeons advice seems to not cause any pain. Can do most things that do not require breaking restrictions which is frustrating as can see cleaning that needs doing. Grrr
Can carry plates to dishwasher out the back and bring light shopping in. Not good though pushing a trolley round store though. Hurts after.
Can shower using bath seat and dry toes with hair dryer.
Rest in between doing things and now using new back chair rather than always recliner.
Can see I have made progress but have set myself some new year goals.
Review and increase daily distance to walk daily...maybe twice daily
Go to baths for short time initially after next physio session 14/1 if ok
Get back on SW diet as eating too much of non healthy food at the moment
Think that will do. Return to work looks ok for 7th Feb as long as I get back into a more normal routine .... could not be getting up at 8.30 and dawdling round before getting dressed for ages
:loll:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom