Single or Bilateral opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had one so no opinion but it seems strange to try to say a surgeons motivation for doing them separately is just money when most of them are booked up for months. I believe they just have different experiences and beliefs for various groups of patients.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad I saw this thread. This was the next question I was going to ask. Is bilateral the way to go for me? I was reading about Billie Jean King getting her knees replaced in 2010. She asked to get both done at the same time. Her said doctor said yes but it's harder on your body.
But I a agree 100% about the doctors can get more money by getting you to come back for knee #2 .
Is it really harder on your body to the point to where you would have done better by doing just one knee at a time?
The cost is greater to do two separate surgeries. But surgeons (the good ones, anyway) do not make medical decisions based on how much money they earn from the various procedures!

There are more risks when both knees are done at one time. You are under anesthetic longer and there is a potential for greater blood loss. It is not a good option for some patients because of other health issues they may have. And, it makes for an extremely physical surgical procedure for your doctor. Some surgeons prefer not to do it for this reason. Knee and hip replacements are physically demanding because the surgeon must manipulate your dead weight leg at various times during the procedure. However, there are surgeons willing to do both at the same time, so if this is something important to a patient, they should seek out doctors willing to consider bi-lateral surgery.
 
I know my OS sometimes does bilats, but has said he evaluates each patient on a case by case basis.
For me, my knees were unequally bad so it made sense to do them a couple of years apart.
Also for me, the years of inactivity and RA issues made it better in my case to wait for the second one.
I know I was much stronger overall by the time I had my second knee done and I think it helped with my recovery.

The important thing to me, is that the OS is willing to discuss a patient's situation with him/her.
 
I would honestly hope that an OS would be more concerned about the patient than the fee for the surgery----I did have a BTKR eight years ago, and it was challenging, but not nearly as bad as many people would think it to be. You do not have a "good leg" to help you through---but I have to say that, if I had to do it all over again, I would do it exactly the same way.

You have one pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery. It can be a bit harder on the body, but it is worth it, in the end.
 
Glad I saw this thread. This was the next question I was going to ask. Is bilateral the way to go for me? I was reading about Billie Jean King getting her knees replaced in 2010. She asked to get both done at the same time. Her said doctor said yes but it's harder on your body.
But I a agree 100% about the doctors can get more money by getting you to come back for knee #2 .
Is it really harder on your body to the point to where you would have done better by doing just one knee at a time?

I am having BTKR on March 9th...these are my reasons for choosing to go this way
1. Both of my knees are equally painful, I don't have a "good" knee.
2. One of everything (except knee replacement)-surgery, anesthesia, hospital stay, PT, rehab, etc
3. Equal rehabilitation of BOTH knees-I have spoken to some people that didn't rehab their new knee completely because they depended too much on the bad one-which got worse in the process
4. In all honesty, I'm a little scared that I might chicken out on having it done again! One time for one big whop of pain and then getting on with life:-)
5. One time to depend on others completely, I don't do well with this at all!

Will let you know in the other side if I am glad with my decision, but so far those that have gone before me have nothing but positive things to say about it
 
Sounds like a good decision - I think the reason some doctors won't do it is when patient is not in as good health and longer anesthesia or more incisions to heal would not be good. And probably some doctors do not have the experience with it and hesitate to do it (and you probably don't want them doing it on you - so either go with your doctor's best or find a different Doctor).


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Doing bilaterals is hard work for the surgeon as well. Doing even a single knee replacement involves heavy lifting and manipulation. A surgeon knows his/her energy limit and will want to give of him/her best to all patients.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom