Showering For Two Days Before Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Suzette
Doing well thanks! I'm laughing right now because I visualized this Hibiclens as something containing Hibiscus with a wonderful aroma, but I can see by @LaylaHips post, I'm pretty sure I'm dead wrong! Lol!
 
@Cynthia777
My instructions for the hibeclens (which included a special wash cloth, as your are not supposed to use a regular cotton wash cloth) was to wash your hair, face and genital area with your normal shampoo and soap, rinse well and then scrub the rest of your body with the cleansing soap. Use clean towel to dry, put on clean bed clothes (if you wear any) and clean linens and blankets on your bed. This was the night before. The morning of, repeat, with the obvious deletion of clean bedclothes and linens, since you'll be heading to the hospital. If your OS requires 5 days...I'm sure he has his reasons. Just make sure not to use it on your hair, face or genital area as it has some ingredients that could cause irritation. Man...it's getting close, my friend. :)
 
I had to do the Hibiclens wash before my gallbladder surgery and I think I was over zealous and lathered up too much, because I was an itchy, grumpy mess the following(surgery) morning.. That is one of my biggest fears since we have to wash for a couple three days in a row. I wonder if Benadryl will help if it happens again?
I can say that I won't go Mr. Bubbles crazy with the lathering, though. :xmark:
 
I only had to wash with an antibacterial soap..used Dial. I took a shower the night before and again that morning...only because.. I have very sensitive skin...no problems.
 
really!!?? I may have to ask about that! I am dreading that itching.
 
yes, my only option listed is hibiclens. no mention of Dial.
 
Just wash lightly...no Mr. Bubbles (haha) the morning of. I did that before my hysterectomy and gall bladder. You probably just overdid! The anesthesia can also make you itch. I didn't have that problem...and I am really sensitive.
 
Oh dear, sounds like a lot of trouble and fuss. I didn't have to do any of the procedures like showers with Hibiclense, changing bed linen and pyjamas for 2 - 5 days running etc, but had to have thrombosis prophylaxis for 12 weeks post op. I would have found it hard. Changing bed linen is a pain if you have a bad hip and nobody who is there to help. It's amazing, indeed, how much the protocol varies from country to country, and even from hospital to hospital.

Preventing MRSA, however, makes sense especially since it's an issue in Europe, too.

But some think it's also possible to do too much. If you overdo cleaning, washing etc. you may lose your natural immunity - and then get infected after all. I wonder if anyone knows more about that and would like to comment on this.
 
Constance I didn't have change linens etc. That would have been very hard.
They tested for MRSA at the hospital for pre surgery.
 
I'm thinking, @CricketHip, as long as you don't use it on your face, hair and private areas, you may be okay. These were the areas I was told not to use the hibiclens because it will cause irritation. Good luck, dear.
 
In, the UK I just was asked to shower with anti bac stuff on admission.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom