Showering For Two Days Before Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cindy777 Hi flower in the UK I had to use ant-microbe moose all over my body from head to toe for 5 days after shower put ointment up my nose 3 times daily for 5 days and use vile mouthwash for days change bed etc to prevent MRSA etc it is well worthwhile no one wants to get any kind of infection so far it has been brilliant for me. You must be very near I send you kind and loving thoughts for a quick recovery xxx Mags
 
Hi Flower @narnybose, now I'm a bit nervous, as the only instruction I've been given is the showering...no mouthwash...no up the nose stuff...no other instructions. My surgeon seems very ho-hum about the entire process. He has done 800 direct anterior THR'S and worked alongside Dr. Joel Matta for years. I guess Dr. Matta is one of the finest hip surgeons in the US...THREE MONTHS to get in to see him and I couldn't wait.
 
@Cindy777 - hello, my hospital gave me special body shampoo "Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%
solution antiseptic", and said wash day before and day of surgery. Lather below neck, spend extra time
and attention around buttocks and legs and leave on for a few minutes then rinse. No shaving of
legs day before - 2 days before okay. Could wash hair normally. Nothing said about changing
sheets, although I did have fresh ones on the night before my surgery. Wore shorts, flip flops, loose
t-shirt and brought along a light jacket.

Had to wait for 3 hrs before getting assigned a curtained alcove with bed, hospital gown open to
the back, had to give urine sample because I had not been 2 yrs since my last period! I tried to tell
nurse, no way pregnant...was 1 year into menopause...
TED's compression hose put on non-operated leg, the other to follow me and be put on
later, nurse marked correct leg (right) with sharpie, asked repeatedly what hip. IV put in. Hair
net on head.
 
Hi @Cindy777 Don't worry about 'everybody elses' instructions... the ones YOUR medical team (OS/hospital) have given you are the ones YOU need to stick to. My OS was very ho-hum too about a lot of the stuff that seems to be ultra important to other surgeons... I only had one aspirin a day post op (no warfarin, pills, injections etc), I didn't have to wear TED stockings AT ALL and was up fully weight bearing on crutches a few hours after (Posterior Approach) surgery and had a shower next morning - all things that seem to have widely ranging "standard" protocols when you read up on it. Interestingly, with him seeming so blasé, I had to observe precautions for 12 weeks instead of the "standard" six... so that was obviously what was important to HIM.... I decided that as I had an easy ride with some things (like the TEDs) I had to take ALL his advice and do the 12 weeks :heehee:
 
This is very odd! I had to wash my hair with the chlorhexidine (Hibicleanse) stuff, and make sure I washed carefully round my nose, eyes, ears and mouth. Also to pay attention to the sweaty areas such as the armpits and groin. I ws also told to use clean towels each time but nothing about clean sheets! Wouldn't have done it anyway!
 
I've been instructed to scrub with hibiclens (chlorhexidine) from the neck down, paying special attention to the surgical site (left hip) for three nights before surgery. Can wash face and hair with my usual products. Clean pajamas and sheets every night for three nights before surgery. Don't know about blood thinners; I guess I'll find out when I have my pre-op appointment May 5 (surgery May 11). When I went for my pre-anesthesia appointment they swabbed my nose, mouth, and armpits for MRSA culture. This was negative, thank goodness. They also did an EKG and took approximately 2,000 tubes of blood for various tests.
 
@Cindy777 Don't worry about anything at all, You will go get brilliant care and at the end of it have a shiny new hip that will do what you ask of it when healed with not hurt you and will give you your life back. Your surgeon wants to make you better, the stockings are not as bad as some people make out I have to wear them for 6 weeks I don't even know I have them on. The injections DO NOT HURT I inject every day I am a total softie if I say they don't hurt then they don't. Take a deep breath and smile your life is going to get better very soon. Recovery is for a short time hip pain before it never stops!! I send you love and healing hugs xxx Mags
 
It just simply amazes me how every surgeon/hospital vary so greatly in their pre-op instructions! You would think with all the studies out there, they would follow some sort of similar protocol!
My body wash is called DYNA-HEX 4....any experience out there as far as it's lovely odor is concerned?

THANKS TO ALL WHO SO GRACIOUSLY TOOK THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!
 
Just getting in touch to see what was happening for you...

Sorry to learn you had avascular necrosis I understand that can be painful. I would imagine you are very ready for your Sept. surgery with being delayed from May.

re: Pre-Op body scrub
I was given for body & shampoo clorahexidine and did have swabs into nose and mouth in pre-op exam.

re: MRSA /infections in hospital
MRSA is being fought in every hospital in US for some time now, but the stats of reported cases may not be accurate as CDC Center for Disease Control. So the "stringent procedure" for patients pre-op does not necessarily indicate they have high number of patients infected with MRSA, it can be for prevention.

re: infection and anti-biotics administered during hip surgery, with my own experience of getting bronchial infection 2 days post op while in hospital, (and not being given any anti-biotic until I went to my primary dr.) difference of opinions & procedure if you have acquired infection....they should have or they would not give me an anti-biotic because of one administered during surgery...physicians vary.

re: acquired bronchial infection
I got no anti-biotic and after discharge went straight to primary dr. with full-blown bronchial infection acquired in hospital day 1 eve; (for 5 days only had breathalyzer with advanced mucos & coughing) it was post-hospital discharge...next day - - primary dr. gave me Bactrim and said I "should have had similar anti-biotic given to me when my symptoms were clearly bronchial infection"; coughing with bad mucous on 2-3rd day ! Being close to 60 it is known to go to pneumonia very quickly deeper into lungs here in FL (lung and chronic pulmonary issues are epidemic here subtropical climate and high pollen issues).

Ortho drs & Primary drs don't make the same decisions - - so when we go to the hospital for THR we are under the care of your Ortho surgeon and his staff (physician asst.) for those 4-6 days.
 
@Cynthia777 have you written your book everything always wanted to know on hip replacement. Lol...stop worrying pussy cat. Yes the stuff stinks, I had hibaclens..no nose stuff. Yes clean sheets and no nail polish. Start the stool softeners early and no heavy stuff like steak for a couple days before. Hmmmmmm...keep asking away you are going to be purrrrfect. See how much better I am, you too will be. Starting hugs, good thoughts, and caring hands your way. Oooohhh just thought of a cool thing and I know you will figure it out...you know how they have cruise counters that countdown the days, hours, etc...you need a surgery countdown. I can tell worries and anxiety are creeping in your thoughts. It's ok.:hog:
 
Hi Flower @narnybose, now I'm a bit nervous, as the only instruction I've been given is the showering...no mouthwash...no up the nose stuff...no other instructions. My surgeon seems very ho-hum about the entire process. He has done 800 direct anterior THR'S and worked alongside Dr. Joel Matta for years. I guess Dr. Matta is one of the finest hip surgeons in the US...THREE MONTHS to get in to see him and I couldn't wait.

Dr. Matta is my surgeon. I was able to get in for my surgery quickly, but he is on vacation now. That's probably why the wait is so long. The day after my surgery he did four more! He is busy. Quite wonderful, though. It's a good sign that your surgeon worked with him. I was really impressed with everyone involved.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@WarriorWoman
Thanks for all the info...much appreciated!!!

@sunbunny
You are too much girl! :heehee:
Note that this was my concern back in April! Now it's the odd dreams and all the pre-ops I'm dealing with!
I have one question for you...Before you had surgery, if you were able to take one Vicodin 10 a day and you stopped limping and had very little to no pain, would you still have had the surgery?
 
@Cynthia777 I might have questioned the need but the last week was pretty difficult confirming the decision. I was taking two vicidon and max amount of Tylenol and was still in pain. The hip was constantly catching and my back was a mess. I do remember many a crying jag saying I did not want to have surgery. And many after but now it is so much better. Good question about your pain meds. Solve it before you go. My OS wouldn't give more than a ten day supply. We had a thirty minute drive each way to pick up the prescription every ten days. A real pain..,then the drugstore was constantly out. Just an idea, if u r not using much now try saving a supply. I wish I had. Best wishes.
 
@sunbunny
Thanks for the thoughts and good advice. I have several left over Vicodin from previous dental issues and hubby's surgery, so I will save them for recovery. At times, I really wish I was in more pain...sounds dumb, but it would sure uncomplicate things! Hope you had a great time btw!
 
@Cynthia777, I had to take a shower with hibiclens the night before the surgery. I misread the instructions and also washed my hair with it! Yuck (re-read later and it said wash and rinse with your shampoo and conditioner, before using the hibeclens.) The directions said to wear clean night clothing, but didn't mention sheets, although that makes senses. The morning of the surgery, repeat. I had a 2 hour drive to the hospital and then waited another 3 hours before the surgery. When I put the hospital gown on they gave me warmed up wipes to re-wash the surgical area. Good luck, don't wash your hair with hibiclens!
 
@LaylaHips
That's hysterical! I'm happy you forewarned me, as brain fog has set in and I may very well have done the same thing!

Btw...this thread was from last April and now I have a new surgeon, so not sure what I'll be washing with. :-)
Thanks Layla!
 
LOL! Didn't realize it was so old. I was googling "how to get in and out of a clawfoot tub post hip surgery" and this discussion came up-can you believe it?!
 
@Cynthia777 I was going to reply too then noticed the date was April which made me think I had gone potty!

Just for the record though , all I was told to do was have a shower before going to the hospital. Then had to sit and wait for 9 hours in the waiting room..so the shower was a waste of time anyway ..

hope you are doing ok x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom