Shocked & Surprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy,
Thought I would toss in my words of support. I too was overwhelmed by the whole idea of the metal implant and limped along in denial for over a decade. I love my physical activities and was afraid I would have to give up too much so I soldiered on. A couple of things finally tipped the scales for me this winter. The first was realizing that I was essentially skiing on one leg because my left hip was so painful. The second was when my family doctor of 18 years who said it was time to get me life back. This is a Dr. who has always advised against surgery until the last resort.

I took the plunge and had my left hip replaced on 2/28/12. I immediately felt better despite the initial surgical pain, the deep aching pain was gone. Within a week I could honestly report that I wish I had done it a couple of decades earlier. I was worried that I would feel the prosthetic device but I hardly ever think about it. One advantage of having the replacement at a relatively young age is you have a better chance for a speedy recovery. That has certainly been true for me.

As far as sky diving is concerned....well that sounds more frightening than having a hip replaced :).

This site and the people here have been wonderful. I discovered it a couple of weeks before surgery when my preoperative jitters were highest and definitely appreciated the support during the first couple of weeks post op.
 
I realize no one can tell me what, if any, limitations I'll have post-surgery, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever skydived after replacement? I really want to try skydiving (just once!) in my life and I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this after THR? Seems like everything else I enjoy doing I may be able to do once again after surgery (dancing, hiking, weight training). Just hoping this one-off extreme adventure won't be off limits.

Kathy I just saw this comment. I have not jumped since my surgery but I cannot imagine your hip, after an appropriate recovery period, giving you any problem. With today's chutes you hit the ground running, not with a thud like the old days. And if you slip and land on your butt you will just get up and laugh. It was lots of fun. Do it!
 
Thanks soooo very much to everyone for your compassion, advise, and patience! It's very helpful! Surgery is just over 3 weeks away yet, but I'm coming to grips with the idea. This board has made ALL the difference. I feel so much more aware and in control, thanks to the info. in the stickies and the advise of members. This is the first time I'll go into surgery so well informed. I'm also feeling more ready as the pain has increased. It's so exhausting! That's what I'm most hoping to find after surgery: my energy. Pain and such slow mobility really drain my energy. By the time I'm up and showered in the morning, I am exhausted. So, I sure hope my energy returns. I'm heading back to the classroom in the autumn (used to teach elementary special education) and I'll really need the energy to keep up with the work and the kids.

Still feeling emotional, too, but I'm OK with it. I realize that a major event like this coupled with pain med contribute to my lability. I just have a good cry and move on.

Thanks all!
 
Although everyone's recovery is a little different I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement in your quality of life. I completely understand the energy drain and the closer I got to surgery the more I seemed to give in to it and just stay put.

The first couple of weeks require a lot of adaptation but with pain management I found it tolerable and best of all, each week there was noticeable improvement. Tomorrow will be my five week anniversary and the contrast to my mobility and pain before is sometimes hard to believe. At lunch today I walked four blocks to get a sandwich without any pain. Five weeks ago that would have been unthinkable.

You have much to look forward to! A chance to be 40 again.

Stay in touch as the day approaches.
Don
 
Morning Kathy,

Don I love your posts they are so true, I love my new hip!

Wow Kathy you are brave, I thinks it's exciting and you must live the life you want to live. I do hope when you jump will have photos to share afterwards with us, please!

All the best,

xxooxx
 
I had my appt. with my family doc for the pre-surgery testing. The office staff lost the osteopathic surgeon's fax detailing testing required, so the doc did a physical and I have to go back next week for the EKG. Thankfully, the osteopathic practice will do the lab tests, since my gp's office is typically so inefficient. This is all becoming more real now. I have the surgeon appt. next week and the joint replacement class the week after that. I'm still not thrilled about needing a hip replacement, but I'm feeling more mentally prepared. Physically, I'm growing so sick of this that I say, "Bring on the scalpel"...LOL!

I have been doing some cooking & freezing for post-surgery. I've decided I need comfort foods like chicken and gravy, meatloaf, mac-n-cheese, etc. for my return from the hospital. We're eating better than we have in weeks...LOL! I'll be the first patient to gain weight post-surgery.

I'll see what the surgeon recommends re: skydiving. If it's out of the question, I'm OK with that. I'll simply find another challenge! I'm thinking that next year I may be able to join my friend on a hike up Mt. Washington! Woooohoooo!

Thank you to all of you!
 
Kathy, my doc thinks the device I have will last a good 40 years or more. That could be a problem....at 104, I might not be a good candidate for surgery again. But just imagine what the next 40 years will bring in terms of medical and technical innovation!

Go forward. Reclaim your life. One step at a time.

Sharon
 
Kathy I can't think of anyone here who was "trilled" about having THR. But sounds like you are really doing well with the preparations. Just keep busy! This is actually the hardest part - waiting for that day.

And yes - you will be hiking before you know it! That's guaranteed!
 
Actually, I'm doing great keeping busy when I'm up to it. The way it's going lately, I get quite a bit done one day, then exhaustion limits me the next day. I'm cooking and getting things together for post-surgery, as well as cleaning so the house will feel fresh when I get home from the hospital. Not to mention I'm trying to go out and have fun with my friends before I'm stuck in the house for a bit. On the days when I'm too exhausted to do as much, I've been reading and writing a lot. I started a hip journal as I read others have done. I think it will be a helpful log of this entire adventure. I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far. I'll feel even better after I meet with the surgeon again next week. I still have some more questions for him, including how many of these surgeries he does each year.
 
Kathy I can't think of anyone here who was "trilled" about having THR. <snip>


I got to tell you Kathy I am absolutely "thrilled" with my new life! I did not realize how bad the agony was since it built up over time. All gone!
 
Well, I'm getting to the point pain/exhaustion-wise that signifies that I'm ready for surgery. Give me my gown and throw me on the gurney...LOL! My family doc last week recommended I stop the Meloxicam (NSAID) I've been taking for 4+ years. I am now on the 5th day without and I'm really noticing the difference. The pain is even more exhausting. At this point I can mostly deal with the awful pain itself (it's not fun, but I have a pretty high tolerance and I know it will be of limited duration, I hope), but it tires me out, resulting in a very unproductive day. I'm still on Vicodin (Hydrocodone/paracetamol), but that doesn't seem to help as well as the Meloxicam. My back and knee are kicking in with aches as well, just to remind me they're not pleased with the Meloxicam removal :skeptical:

I'd been making great progress getting things done around the house, but things came to a halt today. I took almost a full dose of Vicodin and the resulting nausea grounded me to the couch...yuck. Kind of a bummer as I was looking forward to being hip patient of the year...LOL! You know, after my surgery when family and friends visit, I was hoping they would remark on how clean the house is, how lovely the snacks I'd have ready and I could do my "Oh, I just did a bit of washing up and cooking before I had the surgery" and they would all say how amazing I am to have gotten so much done while in pain and I would just smile and say, "It's nothing really." LMAO! :th_heehee: Guess my fantasy is over, especially now that my boyfriend had to put the potty chair on the toilet since I can't get up without handles anymore.

Again, I'm reminded how lucky I am to live at this time in history. I can't imagine how people 100 years ago handled this without our meds and surgery. :thumb:
 
Hi Kathy,

You have such a great outlook and YESSS shhhhhh Don't tell anyone you're probably going to win hippy of the year!!

Another true comment Hagar is right after the surgery and while you are recoving you suddenly realize just how much pain you had to deal with before the surgery. Hang in there you are almost there!

Lots of love,

xxooxx
 
So this evening was a cry-'cause-it-hurt-and-I'm-so-tired evening. Went shopping to pick up the last of the necessities for pre & post-surgery and by the time I got back in the car for the ride home, I was in tears. I have to admit to patting myself on the back through the tears for getting through it. Came home and told the boyfriend, "Your girlfriend is one tough lady!" I felt like I'd just finished running a marathon! Surely I should have been given a medal for finishing up the shopping using only a cane! I should have been pushed through the stores in a wheelbarrow! The next two weeks will consist of mucho sitting, that's for sure.

When the surgeon first told me how bad my hip was, I thought it sounded exaggerated because though I sometimes had bursts of stabbing-like pain, most of the time I just had discomfort. Now I see just how much my meds were helping me manage.

I ended up having a 10 min. pity party for myself in the car on the drive home. A couple times when I've felt weepy, I allow myself a time-limited pity party to person and feel sorry for myself. I am still pretty frightened of the surgery, which adds to feeling fragile. A close friend's father had a hernia procedure recently during which he had a reaction to the anesthesia which resulted in a trip to intensive care. That shook me up. The father is fine now, but it still scared me. I have had anesthesia before without incident, so hopefully that's indicative of future surgeries. Had my EKG Monday and all was well: my GP released me for surgery.

Sorry for rambling...I'm just feeling alone in this pain & exhaustion...pain does seem to isolate one.
 
Kathy please feel free to rant here. You are going through the toughest part of this journey. Unless you have been there no one can comprehend the pain you are in. That and the trauma of facing a major op. Of course you are weepy!

I cried for weeks pre-op. Go ahead and have a cry. Then get up and do something good for yourself. Watch a movie you love, call a friend for a chat, go out for a fancy coffee. Or... come here and chat. We are here for you!
 
Kathy,
I have not checked back for a couple of weeks but you sound like the rest of us at the pre-op stage. In addition to having to limit pain medication I think it is common for us to finally acknowledge we are in pain after fighting and denying for so long. Suddenly we admit it's there, want to get it taken care of but worry never the less.

Don't become too overwhelmed by the details of the up coming surgery since there are very capable and compassionate medical professionals who will lead the way. Do try to look forward to the new energy you will enjoy in a relatively short time afterward.

This Tuesday was 6 weeks for me and I love walking when ever I get a chance. 7 weeks ago I was chair bound. It takes a lot of courage to say it's time and you are almost there!
 
I too was shocked when the doctor said I needed a hip replacement. So shocked that I went for another opinion. My journey of my hip started with me falling town the stairs and tearing my meniscus in my knee. When I got the knee repaired for some reason I kept having hip and groin pain. Long story short, bone on bone hip from arthritis and needed replacement. It took me really a long time to come to terms with it emotionally. I was so glad I found this site also. My 2nd opinion really helped too cuz I like that doc much more and him do the surgery.

Sounds like you are coming to terms with it. I too, realized after they made me go off my anti inflammatory that it was covering up a lot of my aches and pains and by the time my date came, I, like you, was ready. Glad you found the site. Great support and so much good information. Good luck to you and I'll be checking in. Sounds like you are where you need to be :) -Cathy
 
Hi all,

Having a better day today. Saw the surgeon for the pre-op appt. this morning. After going over my questions, I feel more confident in the surgeon and the hospital. I go to hip class on Thurs., so I'm hoping that helps my confidence as well. The surgeon suggested that once my hip is replaced and I've recuperated, I won't need the NSAID anymore. Is that the way it's been for the rest of you? I've been concerned about the length of time I've been taking it (started it over 4 years ago for my back and after my back improved, it was continued for my knee/hip) and have so wanted to be able to discontinue the med, but was unable to due to this hip thing. Have you all been able to get off the meds you were taking pre-operatively?

While I'm on the topic of post-surgery recuperation questions, I have several additional questions. Is your pain mostly gone or all gone? Can you walk without an aid? Do you still limp? Can you stand up stright now?

Oh, some great news for me! My niece has needed some tutoring for a Brit Lit class she's taking and in exchange for helping her, she's going to finish my cleaning for me! Woohooo! After the surgeon told me today that a visiting nurse would be coming to help in the initial couple weeks post-surgery, I'd really like the place looking good. Just when the pain was getting to the point that I doubted my ability to complete my cleaning, something like this comes up to help me out. I swear, sometimes I'm the luckiest person I know!

Don't know what it's like where you all are today, but we're enjoying a beautiful sunny spring day here in PA! ~ahhhhh~ I'm rather glad my surgery is in the spring as I'll be able to get outside to walk when I'm recuperating. :thumb: Have a dazzling weekend everyone!
 
Kathy
I'm 4 months out from having both hips replaced at the same time - YES I am off all medications including NSAIDs - YES I am walking without aids - YES I can stand up straight (friends think I've grown an inch or two but it's really only the stand up straight that makes it look that way) and I only limp if I over do it way too much and that is more from back strain than from any pain or problem with the hips! It does take a while for the muscles to get strengthened and reoriented to the new positioning brought on by having nice, shiny, new fabulously working hip joints! If you've been out of whack for quite a while because of hip problems that adjustment can seem weird and uncomfortable at times - but it is just your body readjusting to a new normal :)

That is terrific that your niece can come help you with the house work! I found that having a clean and tidy house (well as much as possible) does help improve my mood - and makes me fret less about things left undone while recuperating!
And yes the spring sunshine will help too and make walking after surgery so much nicer than trying to do it in the rain :biggrin:

Wishing you the very best of success with your new hip!
 
Hi Kathy,

Ditto Deb, except I only had RTHR, but staring tall, no limp, off all meds, no hip back, back issues but not related to replaced hip, so all is good.. Often forget that at 5 months post op today that I have a hip replacement, seems so normal..

Not long now for you.. It is exciting and a miracle :)
 
"staring tall"
Whatcha bin staring at, Sandy? :th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom