THR Shiny new hip installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the swelling is the same as the day I came home.
Still very early days for you. Swelling is totally normal. Just keep icing and elevating.

Can you please give me your surgery date and which hip you had done? I will pop the information in your signature for you.
 
Did you have a chance to read the articles linked for you in the second post of this thread? They explain what recovery involves and the time it takes to see progress. You're only a week out! Swelling is completely normal. So is heat (your body is healing). Please try not to be impatient and give your body time to heal.
 
Did you have a chance to read the articles linked for you in the second post of this thread? They explain what recovery involves and the time it takes to see progress. You're only a week out! Swelling is completely normal. So is heat (your body is healing). Please try not to be impatient and give your body time to heal.

Yes I have. I was being a bit jumpy about infection and clots. I am seeing little gains in mobility and slight reduced swelling now. The doctor assistant called the other day and told me the doctor recommended some physical therapy. Due to the long time I spent limping to correct my gait and to help with the muscle atrophy that he witnessed in office.

But getting from sitting to standing position has improved dramatically in the last few days. Ice and elevation routinely, the numbness is slowly fading.


12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
I would just rest for the first few weeks - you don't need any PT yet. Let the hip and muscles have a rest they've been through a lot of manipulation and being pulled about during surgery. Good luck you seem to be progressing along fine.
 
My new hip is starting to feel better now with the passing of each day. The swelling and numbness are down. The muscle tightness has reduced slightly as well.

Using ice and elevation frequently, mostly at night. Starting to forget to take my pain medication. But still sticking close to schedule. It's been quite the improvement in one week.
[Bonesmart.org] Shiny new hip installed


12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
I am always so surprised to see people wearing pants so soon after their surgeries. I didn't even wear underwear for a few weeks and stuck with maxi dresses for at least a month. :blush:

Sounds like your recovery is off to an awesome start! Your attitude is great as well!
 
I am always so surprised to see people wearing pants so soon after their surgeries. I didn't even wear underwear for a few weeks and stuck with maxi dresses for at least a month. :blush:

Sounds like your recovery is off to an awesome start! Your attitude is great as well!

Well, I am staying at my brothers place. So I have to wear something. But once I get back to my place, there will be days of just wearing a robe.

Plus, having sleep or lounge pants on help when applying the ice packs or when wearing the iceman hip pad. Helps blunt the effect of the ice on the sensitive skin.


12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
Had my post operative appointment yesterday. The nurses were impressed with the condition of the incision. They said it looks great and to just cover it when or if i experience any rubbing or chafing. Little numbness persist but the thigh looks good. The swelling now is very minimal and only near the incision site. I have had no bruising at all. I find that amazing considering the amount of work that was done through the 4 inch incision.

Physical therapy won't start now until next Friday, had a snow storm move in Wednesday night that dumped eight inches. The roads weren't very passable so I had to cancel my first PT appointment.

Just relaxing and enjoying my time off.

Current picture of the incision:
[Bonesmart.org] Shiny new hip installed



12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
@thx11384eb hi there you seem to be doing very well and the scar looks great. Are you ready for PT? I never did any, just followed the mantra on here and my movement and gait are doing just fine now. They are right, walking is all your hip needs especially in the first few weeks. Keep well and have a great 2017.
 
@thx11384eb hi there you seem to be doing very well and the scar looks great. Are you ready for PT? I never did any, just followed the mantra on here and my movement and gait are doing just fine now. They are right, walking is all your hip needs especially in the first few weeks. Keep well and have a great 2017.

The surgeon said that he thinks a little PT is need for me to help my gait. It's been screwed up for a very long time. I also have had a lot of muscle atrophy on my left leg.

As of right now I can manage full weight on the new hip but the knee wants to lock sometimes when I try to take a step without a crutch.


12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
@thx11384eb the knee on my operated hip side was painful, swollen and not very flexible for some time. I asked my OS about it and he said it was prob due to all the manipulation and force used during the op itself. It's fine now. As for the duck waddle It does right itself in time. My gait was bad for about 5 to 6 years prior to the op so I know what you mean. Even now I do have to remind myself to walk "properly" or I can do a waddle LOL! It's a habit that the old hip got into while trying to keep us mobile. If in doubt about anything tag Josephine she will give you great advice or jaycey. They know much more than me. You are doing fine. Keep at it - it will get easier day by day. Best of luck.
 
Still early days for you @thx11384eb ! All this stiffness and aches and pains will ease. Ice and elevate. Cas is right about the knee being manipulated during surgery. My knee hurt worse than my operated hip post RTHR.

PT may indeed help you to retrain on your gait. Just be sure they focus on that and don't give you silly exercises like bridging or excessive leg lifts. You really don't need lots of exercises - just slowly walking in front of a mirror may help you with your gait.
 
PT may indeed help you to retrain on your gait. Just be sure they focus on that and don't give you silly exercises like bridging or excessive leg lifts. You really don't need lots of exercises - just slowly walking in front of a mirror may help you with your gait.

I agree. Bridging and leg lifts just sound counterproductive too me. Mirror work and some time on a treadmill might be the best. I have even stayed away from doing too much of the "at home PT" exercise. Just plain standing up and walking worked better and quicker for me. They were pushing the exercises the day after and all it did was cause more pain and swelling. I did do the ankle pumps though, I figure that is something sensible.

I had the same situation with my rotator cuff repair. The therapists all wanted me to do exercises multiple exercises, three times a day. Before I had the surgery I read a Canadian study showing that rotator cuff mobility was sometimes made worst by too much physical therapy after surgery. I only did the physical therapy with the therapists twice a week and did nothing at home. I had 92% mobility in my arm after six months. It's actually improved more since then, just using my arm/shoulder as normal. Sometimes the PT therapist are way too locked into their training and egos.

Just "listening" to our bodies is the best way to recover.



12/22/16 anterior approach lthr
 
I worked with the physical therapist on my gait. I had been limping for 2 - 3 decades! The PT had me walk down a long hallway with a mirror at the end and it really helped me to see how my walk looked and not just feel it. Does that make sense? Little things, like swinging my arms, were re-introduced into my walk. I found it helpful to work with the PT on my gait. Do what works for you.
 
Went to the physical therapist last week. My gait is okay, but my balance is off. The muscle atrophy in the left leg is a contributing factor as well as the added length to left leg. I am on one crutch now per the therapist, but still using two when out in weather or places with a lot of people. She said I am not stable enough without a crutch and I agree. I was able to have her move the leg/hip without any pain at all. Obviously she didn't really push it very far in terms of range of motion. She gave me a few very easy exercises to do. Most of them are just working on balance.

Did get my pain medication switched twice. The original pain medication that I was sent home with was hydromophone, which worked very well. Upon my first post op appointment they switched it to hydrocodone, which was giving me insomnia. I got four hours of sleep in four days. Now, they have switched me to tramadol. It seems to be working okay.

Other than that all is going well. Thanks for everyone reading this thread and giving me encouragement.


22nd December 2016 anterior approach lthr
 
Little update

Surgeon has officially released me to do "normal" activities. Of course, he said don't try to be a hero. If something hurts or if I need more time off from work to let him know.

He said my right hip will need to most likely replaced at sometime in the future and not to let it get as bad as the left.

Here are a couple of pictures to show the change in just a few weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Shiny new hip installed
[Bonesmart.org] Shiny new hip installed



22nd December 2016 anterior approach lthr
 
Yowser!! A nightmare of a hip @thx11384eb What an improvement now. No wonder your gait was off. Good to hear you're now gently working on this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom