THR Shell’s new hip @ 41

And back to work this week. Damn that went fast but I feel I have turned a corner and am walking well without crutches. Managing 30+ minute walks around the neighbourhood and with the dog. No pain meds for almost a week just the aspirin and occasional ice packs when I feel its getting tired or swollen. Hopenim doing the right thing.
 
I slept with a pillow between my legs for several months, just because I found it more comfortable. I still keep one within reach and use it occasionally during the night just to be more comfortable. @Shellb. You are returning to work pretty early, do you have a place to keep ice packs at work? I found for my own early return that a jell pack wrapped on my hip with a 4 inch ace bandage let me ice while still moving around the office. I also found that I was completely wiped by the end of the day, luckily my wife continued to support me by cooking (normally my purview) until I wasn't so wiped out every night. Good luck at work next week.
 
Hello @Shellb
Not sure if you noticed, but their is a handy option for shaving in the Recovery Aids.
Scroll down to the Giraffe razor toward the bottom to see what you think.

I found a simple Body Pillow from Target for around $10 to be key in side sleeping for me. At over three and a half years post op, I still use it each night. It’s comfortable to use while on your side, between your knees, because it runs almost the entire length of your leg. I highly recommend checking it out.

Best Wishes on your return to work this week. It may tire you out. Hopefully you can rest upon your return home after work, not doing much else, until you’re feeling strong like Wonder Woman. :wink:

Have a nice day. :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @FCBayern It seems to be the norm here in NZ to have only 6 weeks of post hip joint replacement, plus thats all the sick and annual leave I have so need to work to be paid unfortunately.

I work 7 days a fortnight so hopefully thats doable. And this week my roster is a nightshift tonight (Tuesday), education day (8-4) Thursday and an afternoon shift Sunday. My 4 day week is next week. Two days in a row is the most I have with the way my roster works.

Def will be tired but ill survive am sure. We have ice in our geezers at work but taking an actual ice pack might be good. Not sure if I'd be better for more of a walking around type nightshift or a quiet sit down a lot one. We shall see.

Will investigate the big pillow thing too @Layla.

Will definitely be resting/ sleeping tomorrow And my kids are old enough to look after themselves. I imagine it'll be the swelling that ill notice post work. Will let you know how it goes. .

No covid running wild in my city as yet either. Phew. Although its up in Auckland in the community a bit so am sure it'll make it to us at some stage.
 
Right... I'm 7 weeks post op shortly and wondering when I can move on to using the Stationary bike and swim. Forgot to ask my surgeon about swimming but wound is all healed. No rush for the exercise bike but just wondering if there was an approx time frame.
 
Ended up digging a hole under some trees.

You buried your femoral head in the backyard? That's hilarious. I can't wait to hear the news stories 50 years from now when the new homeowners find it while doing yardwork.:heehee:

On another note, my surgeon didn't want me to swim until 12 weeks, but he is VERY conservative. He felt that flutter kicks would risk dislocation because it extends the leg back (I had an anterior approach). There are many others who think it's fine, so you will need to ask your surgeon.
 
Last edited:
Day 19 here and finally managing to sleep on my non operated side! Is bliss. Def not a back sleeper. Did wake myself up when I attempted to pull my knee up while side sleeping. But not damage done.

Pain is 0 at rest and maybe a 1 or 2 when swelling is increased at the most but still taking paracetamol and ibuprofen with meals. Only had tramadol at home for a few nights post op and then got itchy and couldn’t sleep so stopped it and that helped. My anaesthetist said they don’t send people home on oxynorm here due to addiction. Which is fine by me, didn’t need that at all. Had 3 or 4 x 5mg doses in hospital post op.

Am finding it amazing that some of you guys have your op and go home the same day! How cool. Not sure if that is done here in NZ.

Long weekend here with a public holiday and sunshine and dying to go to the beach! Next year eh!

Happy healing!
My surgery was last June. I was discharged 21 hours following surgery and back to work in three weeks. I work mainly a desk job so there was no lifting or much bending. Walking was the #1 best therapy. The soft tissue pain was the most uncomfortable. The surgery relived me of a lot of related pain. At 8 months post surgery I can everything I could do pre-arthritis. There are some things I opt out of. I don’t run long distances or perform heavy squats or dead lifts. I could, but I just don’t want to risk damaging the appliance.
 
Last edited:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress. Have you been swimming yet, or on the stationary bike? Let us know, we’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a good week! :SUNsmile:
@Shellb
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom