Guest viewing is limited

PKR ShedEnd's road to recovery<

Do let us know how that chat with your OS goes!

I would have loved to tell you how the chat with the OS went, but it didn't happen. Showed up at the office 15 minutes before the appointment's scheduled time. They sent me for x-rays, which took about 20 minutes. We then sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes before they called us back. Spoke with the nurse for about 2 minutes, and then she left. We were then left by ourselves for another 45 minutes. At that point I was fed up. Went to the administration desk, put in a request for all my medical records, and left.

So I'll be looking for a new orthopedist to take me through the rest of my recovery.
 
Wow, that’s awful. How rude. I don’t blame you for not sticking around.
 
Did you get any explanation? I would have left, too! All that sitting around with a new knee!
 
@ShedEnd, it’s amazing how inconsiderate some doctors are. Of course it may be the staff / office manager and not the doctor responsible. Either way, you did what I would have done. I once told a doctor I was going start charging them for my time if kept waiting longer than 30 mins past my appointment unless they contact me ahead of time to tell me to come in later. Their response was I couldn’t do that. I told them I’d simply deduct it from my bill. Amazingly, I actually got a call the next time I had an appointment letting me know they were running more than an hour behind schedule and I could either come in later or change appointment. I changed to a morning appointment and then changed doctors.
 
No, we didn't get an explanation, and that was one of the main reasons we left. I can understand if something comes up and puts you behind schedule. I've waited over 3 hours for an appointment during one of my prior surgeries, but it was due to several injuries coming in that needed to be seen first. And each time they came in to tell us exactly why we were being delayed. This time they left us sitting there with no explanation, no estimate on when we would be seen. Kicker was we could hear the doctor talking to someone out in the hall - it was a medical discussion, but it wasn't with a patient. My wife classified it as medical small talk.

It was the cumulation of issues that led me to leave. Had it been just this, I probably would have been more patient. But after the sudden cut-off of the pain meds followed by the lack of communication with the skin issues, this was the last straw. I should have known from the outset that I needed to go elsewhere. When I first went to this practice, it was their urgent care section. The physician assistant that I saw basically diagnosed me as needing surgery, and they ordered an MRI. When I made an appointment for the MRI to be reviewed, they sent me to the sports medicine guy, who wasn't even a surgeon. The appointment with him was basically "Yep, you need an operation, so you need to schedule an appointment with one of our surgeons." Duh.

I just hate that I have to start over with someone new. I'm very tempted to just not go see anyone except my primary care unless something isn't going right. I've been to too many doctors this year that have just been an utter waste of time. I went to a neurologist for post-concussion symptoms - he ordered a bunch of tests, prescribed medicines, and then just told me that I'd have to live with the symptoms. I went to a urologist due to developing two kidney stones. He told me to drink more water. That's it.

So unless a limb is falling off, I think I'm done with doctors except for my primary care - I like him. And most importantly, I feel like I can trust him.
 
I don't see why you won't be fine with your PC doc. It sounds like you have a good relationship with him already. That's so much better than searching for a new OS. It that need arises, be sure to go to one that has no connection with your current OS. You don't want them to even be golf buddies.
 
Think that is the way to go unless something big crops up. Only ever had 2 appointments with OS....1 for diagnosis an 1 just before op as i had a few questions.

Never seen since, i was 'under' before he was in surgery and only had 2 x standard follow up at hospital clinics.
 
@ShedEnd, your situation with your OS is definitely not acceptable. Do you know anyone else who has had TKR? If so, maybe they had a different OS. Of course, you may not have many options depending where you live. If all is going well and no issues develop, you will probably do well with just your PCP. Let’s pray that is what happens.
 
@ShedEnd good morning! I live in central Florida and your experience sounds similar to mine following the surgery. For my first post op visit, I had to ask the MA to get him to come back in the room so I could get more pain meds. He upped me to 10 mg oxycodone and told me to break them in half. What a joke that was! My first week was amazing with no pain but a lot of swelling. The second week was when all the medications wore off after surgery. The pain was intense, plus I couldn’t sleep. I called the orthopedic docs office and was told to see my primary care doc for insomnia. I had one of the docs I work with sign off for my presurgery clearance, I don’t have a PC. SO....even if I did have a doc, it takes weeks to get an appointment. Plus I wasn’t sleeping due to what he had done to my knee!

I was scheduled to have procedure done in the hospital with a hospital stay for 2 days but 2 weeks before surgery his office called to tell me the hospital doesn’t take my insurance! I had this surgery scheduled 2 months prior! They called me the next week and told me the surgery was scheduled for September 10, a week after the original date as outpatient surgery. They squeezed me in to the outpatient clinic and then all other care got lost in the process. Had to call to see if I had any follow up appointment and they scrambled to get me in the next day. My whole experience was awful. I’ve had other symptoms like foot and hip pain that prevented me from sleeping until this week. Still have hip pain but foot pain and sensitivity is gone.

Went to PT on Wednesday and he bent my knee so far back I almost got sick. Then a few seconds later he did it again! This has never happened there. Had to cancel Fridays appointment because I could barely walk, I was shuffling. I’ve been out of commission since that session. Finally this morning I did some light stretching but my hip is still protesting. I am seriously thinking of quitting PT. We shall see how I feel on Wednesday, which is my next appointment

There are so many ups and downs to this process. Plus a lot of people don’t understand how traumatic this surgery is and think you can be up and about sooner than later. I’ve actually pulled up pics of the procedure and explained how invasive this surgery is on the knee.

My left knee radiographically is much worse than my right knee. But my right knee caused the most pain. So I got the right knee done first. And I can guarantee you I will NOT be getting left knee replaced! Between the many screw ups pre surgery to everything that happened post op it’s just not something I can see myself doing ever.

I hope your recovery is getting better every day. You’re in the right place for recovery. BoneSmart has been my saving grace. :doggie::catdance:
 
@flsungirl I'm also in central Florida - Tampa to be exact. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, and I hope the surgery recovery goes much more smoothly than the actual procedure did!

I have to say, my recovery really hasn't been that bad despite the prior 6 pages of complaining. Yeah, I was off my pain meds after a total of 3 days of adequate management, but it was never to the point where I couldn't take it. I've had my periods of questioning whether the surgery was the right choice, but I've also been given some signs that it definitely was for me (for example, before the surgery I had to be very careful on how I placed my foot any time I went up steps or did any sort of lunge - if it wasn't just in line it would cause pain. Now this is gone.) And I'm very thankful that I've been able to sleep without a problem from the outset.

Did my PT from home this weekend, and I can easily do everything they had me doing at the orthopedist. So I will definitely only be going in if there is something wrong...
 
@ShedEnd im on the other coast! Palm Bay which is south of Melbourne. It’s neat to see how will all,start this threads and the changes in postings as we progress. I’m glad you’re surgery and recovery are going well. I too have been in misery for years. The first time I stood with new knee I’m like...wow...that doesn’t hurt!

The insomnia was a beast! I truly think if I could have slept, I would have handled it better. I’m just glad I’m sleeping now. Im glad you were able to sleep. That was the hardest on me. After PT on Wednesday setting me back, especially the knee swelling and aching and hip pain, I’m looking forward to getting back to feeling better again. It’s been rough.

Keep up the good healing and thanks so much for sharing from the other coast! Hope your weather is beautiful, glad the humidity is gone...for now hehe
 
Well, it has been a quiet week or so, and that is a very good thing. I've been a bit more active around the house, but not doing too much in structured PT. This has allowed a good bit of the swelling that was still in the knee to go away, and my flex has gotten a good bit better. Last measurement was at 115 (at 4.5 weeks post op a week ago). I feel it has improved some from there.

I've decided to start back to work tomorrow. Told my manager that I'd be in for half days 3x this week, then full days 3x next week, then full days 3x the week after. Also told her that this was subject to change - I'd stay longer if I felt up to it, but would leave early if I started getting too tired. She was fine with this plan. Quite frankly, I probably could have stayed out until after Thanksgiving without much objection, but I really am ready to start getting back to normal.
 
It's really pretty early to be going back to work. On your work days, don't do anything but rest when you get home. You knee will need the rest. It's not just the work, it's the getting ready for work and then getting there. Then, getting back home. All these add to your work day's activity!
 
I guess it is a good thing that my posts here are on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis now!

First week back to work, and it was a bit rough, but I was able to manage without too much difficulty. Only went in to the office every other day, and only stayed for around half a day. That did wear me down a bit, and I spent most of the rest of the time resting up and icing my knee. Told my supervisor that I'd only be in two days next week and only for half days. Already have the entire week of Thanksgiving off on scheduled leave. We'll see where I stand after that.

Went to my first hockey game last night, but sat in the handicapped accessible seats rather than my season ticket seats. I was able to walk into the arena and get to the seat without a problem, and since the seats were basically nicely padded folding chairs, I was able to move it into a comfortable position. Too bad they lost the game though...

Still recovering, and it seems that I'm having more "one step forward" days without the following "two steps back." While I still have a good ways to go on the recovery, I'm at least beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...
 
Back
Top Bottom