Guest viewing is limited

THR Sharp pain incision site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Patti - I have just started the statin drug about 3 mths ago. My cholesterol for the last couple of years has been just over normal range so recently Doc mentioned taking the statin drug. I will look up if there is a problem just stopping suddenly and have a break while I'm healing. I will try anything. I feel like such a wimp today and totally worn out. The muscle spasms are knocking me down. I've had 2 this morning so far. Being on the toilet brings them on and raising my leg to elevate also. I can't believe I felt better 4-5 days post op than I do now. I'm racking my brain trying to find solutions. I'm tempted to drastically reduce my Tylenol 3's as well. They are making me so constipated I'm on a truck load of Meds to remedy and even with all of them I still have to take glycerin supp. daily. I've been eating really healthy picking more fiber choices and water galore but I'm wondering whether the bowel issues are contributing to the muscle cramping/spasms as well?? I'll look into that cholesterol med right now Patti! Thank you so much. How are you doing?
 
Hello @MaggieHip
I just checked in on your thread ~ welcome! I am 7 weeks post op and I just want to shake my head at all the people who tell us to do our exercises! You will learn as you read through the threads that the hip recovery needs rest rest rest. I agree with everyone that you have been doing too much. Follow what your body tells you~ It is screaming in pain and spasms to tell you to sleep and rest. I am amazed at how much you have been doing~when I started out I thought I needed to push through the pain like we do at the gym. But this is different. Our muscles have been through the wringer!
Oh and dear girl~ the crying jags are normal as mentioned in the Bonesmart literature. I cry almost once a day and it's when I'm happy or sad. I never know when it will sneak up and my family is so sweet about it. Hang in there! You are a warrior!! Glad you found all of us!
 
Hello Sullivand! Just reading your post with so much support makes me want to cry...ha. I'm on emotional overload....That is just so thoughtful of all of you! I will allow my body to heal. My husband, however, is concerned I'm not doing everything the physio has laid out for me anymore. He's also a little bit afraid of me..giggles...where is all the emotional outbursts coming from. Cray Cray!! Lol.

How are you doing now?
 
@MaggieHip
The constipation may well be contributing.
I'm sure you've already re-read https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/
If you're a coffee drinker, one thing we would give patients in the hospital is "butter coffee", similar idea to "warm prune juice with butter". It really can be quite good, especially if you can get DH (that's for "Darling Husband", btw) to wisk it in the blender a bit so it's like drinking a latte. (It's actually a bit like the base of the Bulletproof coffee my son and I drink, and yummy with a little vanilla flavored stevia.) Best if you use Kerry Gold or other grass-fed unsalted butter.

You could print out the "mantras" and put them on your fridge as a reminder for your husband, and maybe ask him to read the articles Jamie sent you. And maybe remind him that it's your hip, not his : )

Patti in Vail AZ
 
Hi @MaggieHip
First of all lots of virtual hugs and sympathy. If I were you, I would do as you said, and def stop the codeine in Tynlol and just take the full dose of Tylenol, that made me feel a whole heap better. That constipation is toxic to the body. I remember thinking the constipation was worse than the hip op!!! I tried and tested the bonesmart way, a little gentle exercise at first followed by nothing but developing my walking. later going swimming.

Remember and remind your husband that you have had the bone at the top of your leg sawn off, the muscles and fat pulled apart, hip replacement screwed in, forced in or cemented in then all the internal stitches done. Why, logically should exercise help this so soon after the op? Just give your self lots of TLC (tender loving care).
My husband finds it difficult when I do not follow what I am told. I suppose they only want was is best for us but we have to listen to our bodies too.

Things will get better for you very soon. My recovery went in fits and starts but I got there and you will too.
 
DH - Darling Husband - that is cute. That is an interesting combination coffee/butter. I heard it was actually quite tasty. I will try that tomorrow morning.

I will print off the mantras and put on the fridge. Another good idea!

Thank you thank you -
 
@MaggieHip I understand about the constipation Omg!!! That was just awful in the beginning and I still struggle with it a month + later. Have never heard of the butter coffee.... and we have strong coffee around here. The lack of bowel activity added a whole emotional level of stress we didn't need. Here's to a looser weekend!!! :beg:
 
@MaggieHip
Yes our DHs do want the best for us but my OS said to me in his presence~ if it hurts don't do it! So my DH backed off my exercise discussion trusting me to do what is good for me. Now the other things- laundry, meals, picking dropped things off of the floor, fetching water
( to fight stoppage!) he is all in with my permission! They after all want to feel useful. :) and that is so sweet~ it makes me cry.
Cray Cray is ok! My daughters in their 20s come over to be with me and say to each other oh she's crying again~ they are so sweet~ it makes me cry!
 
I stopped my Crestor yesterday and the spasms have ended so I'm really thinking now that contributed to them. They were extremely painful and stopped me from doing any exercises. I tried decreasing my Meds to x strength tylenols instead of the Tylenol 3s. My constipation has really been a problem but yesterday no codeine but continued with softener/senekot & glycerin suppository and today things got moving but the pain on my hip and sharp pains while walking is draining. Do you think I still need the Tylenol 3's. I am now 10 days post op. I haven't done any exercises for 2 days because of the spasms with any movement but would like to start tomorrow.did anyone else have sharp pain on hip area when standing?
 
@MaggieHip
I am not a doctor but I would think you need a stronger med to keep that pain in control. I used colace for about three weeks with lots of fruit and veggies and water. If you don't want a narcotic~ many of us used/are using Tramadol along with acetaminophen. You could ask your doctor about it. I stopped the pain meds at 6 weeks post op. Again I'm not a doctor but the pain meds allow you a bit more mobility ~ your best therapy is walking! Hang in there!
 
Oh I forgot to tell you~ yes! I had the sharp pains too~ at the hip and in the wound. I think it's normal but if you are worried~ call your doctor to address your concerns ~ it is major surgery and it truly does hurt like the blazes! You can get through it!
 
Thank you Sullivand - come Monday I will call my case/nurse to see about getting tramadol. I am concerned if I don't take enough pain Meds I won't be able to walk much. I go for my first post-op appt on Tues as well. I really appreciate your input. Thanks a bunch!!!
 
Hi @MaggieHip - good to hear the spasms seem to be better.
I often wish they could send patients home with "2 of these and 2 of those, etc." so you could find out which works well for you before committing to a full script. I'm a fan of Tramadol, too, as it doesn't tend to make me goofy but I was taking a lot of it before surgery so I may have become accustomed to it. Now I'm taking just one or a half of one at night or when I'm not driving if I need it.
BTW - tramadol is classed as an opioid analgesic. It also is a mild norepinephrine/serotonin reuptake inhibitor - which can help give a general sense of well-being; this contributes to its pain-relieving ability with fewer side effects than stronger narcotics for some people. (Ref: standard monograph on Epocrates and RxList.)
It may take a couple of days for the constipation to clear out and bet you'll feel so much better :dancy:

Patti in Vail AZ
 
@MaggieHip I'm another tramadol fan here. Bigger guns made me terribly constipated and I know you had that awful experience. I could not take them. Tramadol is less binding but keep the colace etc. on board like @Sullivand recommends.
 
Hi Maggie. I was going to reply using your previous post about your routine but it;s a bit muddly for me so would you be a darling and answer my questions for me?

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Sharp pain incision site
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this
At physio or PT
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets

At home
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets 3 session a day
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets 3 sessions a day

I have just started the statin drug about 3 mths ago. My cholesterol for the last couple of years has been just over normal range so recently Doc mentioned taking the statin drug. I will look up if there is a problem just stopping suddenly and have a break while I'm healing.
Satins are infamous for causing muscle and joint aches and pains and cramps. Which I why I steadfastly refuse to take them! At my age I have enough aches and pain as it is without deliberately adding to them! Besides which, my cholesterol is only marginally elevated.
I'm tempted to drastically reduce my Tylenol 3's as well. They are making me so constipated
Well, they will, they have codeine in them! Best known bunger-upper known to man! Try just plain Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day and see how that goes.
 
Hi Patti - I'm doing good. My staples were taken out Tues and for the last few days I've been heading outside for small 5-10min walks on my crutches. After 5-10min my butt/side starts shooting pains so it lets me know I've had enough.

It looks like you had your surgery just before mine? How are you doing? It seems the last week I've noticed each day getting fractionally easier. I still can't put my underwear & shorts on my own. I'm wondering how long it will actually be before we can bend.

One thing I wish I could do is sleep on my side. I try with the pillow between my legs and initially it feels soooo good then my hip and all down my leg to my toes starts to ache and proceeds to get worse until I have to flop over on my back again..

Geesh. I wonder if anyone else has the pain all down the leg not just the thigh/hip/butt area? Let me know how you're making out - thanks Patti
 
Hi Patti - I had the posterior THR - what did you have? I can't believe you'll be up straddling your horse soon. At this point in my recovery it seems like an impossibility. I love my dogs but I believe horses are the most beautiful creatures on Earth - lucky you!!! I now understand why people ask which procedure I had done on my hip - anterior/posterior. Recovery is quite different. There are no surgeons in Calgary that do the anterior method. The no bending is hard to do. Patience is the key. I'm hoping I can play pickleball when we snowbird it in AZ this winter. There is a lot of bending to pick up balls and moving side to side. There was a woman I met last season who had a hip replacement 5 mths prior and she was doing quite well playing but she had the anterior method done. I'm quite excited today that I graduated to the cane. I asked my husband to video me on iPhone on my walk but unfortunately he didn't turn it on correctly- got some great shots of his feet though..ha Next walk...
 
Hi @MaggieHip I'm about two hours from Mesa, south of Tucson. So if you snowbird there again maybe we can catch lunch. I'm actually quite close to Voyager RV Resort which is a really popular snowbird haven - when I home nursed they kept me busy there in the winter. You should be strong enough to do a lot more by the time you get here.
Snowbird - the State Bird of Arizona ------>>>> :snow dig:

A lot of folks wait till they come to AZ in the winter for surgery - we have a really good VA hospital (the best in the system I've heard and it's where I retired from) and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale is now partnering with Tucson Medical Center. And my awesome OS and his team are right up the road - just in case you should decide to do the other hip. There's another excellent surgeon in Scottsdale does anterior - he was my first choice - did two of my friends who are now back riding. But he stopped taking Medicare and other insurance - all his surgery is now cash and carry. Darn concierge doctors! But our system is so messed up can't blame them.
The OS I saw is looking to make anterior hip replacement an "outpatient" procedure for appropriate patients - using a block with conscious sedation starting this fall to avoid the complications of general anesthesia. Exciting concept and the way I'd want to go if I need another hip or a knee. Requires more skill on the part of the anesthesiologist but also much safer.
Can you tell I love Arizona?

Patti in Vail AZ
 
I love AZ too!! No snow +++. AZ feels like a second home to us. Just wish we could spend more than 6 mths there. Apparently the Snowbird Association is working on that. :loll:

I had the block and conscious sedation. I was scared to have it done but it was awesome! You're awake but not really aware of what's being said or done. By the time you are - I wasn't in any pain - no nausea - It took about 5-6 hrs for the block to wear off but by that time I was on pain Meds etc. My Dr doesn't like to use catheters either so I was glad about that. It is the way to go for sure! My brother had both knees replaced a week after me and he had the same. Amazing he was up walking to bathroom same day.

It would be great to make a road trip your way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom