TKR Sewhat's 2nd Recovery thread LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrific! Now you need to take a new photo and post it. I am hoping some of that bruising has lessened over time.

I took a picture with my phone, but the phone needs charging, so I can't post it yet.

I know I woke up at least twice last night, but I can't remember how long I was up. H ubby had to go next door to be with the grandgirls when our daughter left at 7:10. I am usually up already. My first Parkinson's pill of the day is at 7:00. I wear a watch 24/7 that vibrates when I need to take my meds. I slept through 3 of these alarms. I have never done that before! At 8:00 he looked over and didn't see any lights on and had a bad feeling so he came back and woke me up. I had PT at 9:30. I can't eat for an hour after my Parkie pill, so I had to get moving. I was afraid it wouldn't kick in before I had to drive. But I made it .

At PT he wrapped my leg in a warm wrap and had me do exercises, then the bike, shuttle and the exercises at the bar on a 2 inch piece of foam. Then he brought out this thing that looks like half a ball. He put it flat side down and I had to step forward onto it. Then, to add more fun, he gave me a weighted ball and I had to juggle it back and forth between my hands 4 times while I stepped forward onto the hemisphere. That seemed more like a Parkinson's balance exercise. Then I got to use the Game Ready . My ROM was 123/0. He said Friday was probably my last day. Hubby will be glad. He can't get anything done with the girls here.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sewhat's 2nd Recovery thread LTKR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:wow: @sewhat , your knee is looking SO much better. All that reddish bruising is gone, and the scar is healing up very, very nicely! :yay: That is a huge improvement and I am so happy for you. :)

Oh, and that balance exercise sounds tough! :)
 
I slept through two alarms today. I guess I'm going to have to set an alarm on my phone. I never sleep past 7 normally. Today I didn't have to go anywhere, but I was in the shower when the girls got here.

@Carole4815 It doesn't look like the same knee, does it? Some of my bruised areas are still sore and my PT uses a roller on them. Not as good as a massage on the beach though,
 
Your scar looks really good for a month old!
 
Thanks Carole and sistersinhim, I'm amazed at how this recovery is going, so different from last time. Today is my last PT, I think.

I'm still getting up at night because I can't sleep, but I didn't oversleep this morning. Once I get past the sleep problem I can move back to my own bed.
 
Thanks Carole and sistersinhim, I'm amazed at how this recovery is going, so different from last time. Today is my last PT, I think.
That's great! I am on Medicare and for me they pay for 4 weeks in home, and then 4 weeks at a facility. So, my PT won't be done until early October. You must be so happy to be done with it already!

I'm still getting up at night because I can't sleep, but I didn't oversleep this morning. Once I get past the sleep problem I can move back to my own bed.

I am sort of in the same dilemma. My own bed sure looks nice to me sometimes, and in my case I don't share it with anyone, but still I have been sleeping in my recliner. The recliner is a great place to sleep, but in general my sleep has been more of a series of naps than anything. I don't think that would work if I was sleeping in my bed so I'd probably just be staring at the ceiling in the dark and fussing about not sleeping. Maybe I'll try it sometime in the next week or so and find out.
 
Today was my PT evaluation. I passed it. My new knee has a bend or 125 and my other knee is 127. He used a tool to see how strong my legs were and old was 52 and new 50. He said I could stop PT or go the whole 6 weeks. We decided to go another 2 weeks and work on Parkinson's stuff since it got cut short last year when this knee gave out. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. He had me sweating today with that weighted ball thing. He had to put a gait belt on me. That is hard to do!
 
I was packaging my pills for the coming week this morning when my son in law came over from next door. He said, "What is this? A pharmacy?" It looks like one. I used to get them already packaged for the different times of day. They came boxed in a big roll and I could tear off a day's supply and put it in my pocket. My insurance cut that short. They wanted me to use their pharmacy which uses bottles. So I have to spend every Saturday morning doing pills.
I usually get up during the night and change my frozen water bottles, but I didn't last night. I just used a pillow for my knee. I don't think he liked that. It's been hurting all day. I've iced it a few times and it feels better for awhile. I guess I'll take an ice pack to church.
 
Ice helped me a lot at SS and church and the ride to and from.
 
I had PT today. He's really targeting my thigh muscles. My left thigh seems to be tight and he used a roller thingie on it. He also had me do more of that balance juggling exercise. After therapy I went shopping at Walmart and got home at lunchtime. I had left work for my homeschooler, so we finished up school and I did a load of laundry. That's about all I did today.
 
That's about all I did today.
All? what you did was far more than most people do at only a month post-op, and more than BoneSmart recommends.
Do beware of doing too much, too soon. You're doing well so far, but remember that complete recovery will take a full year and there's no need to rush.
 
I took the 6 year old with me to get my allergy shot today. Hubby is having hip pain. It must be bad because he already takes hydrocodone for his back. He has a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and we'll take the girls with us and my daughter will meet us at the doctor's and take them to her work. Then we will pick them up when we are done.
I got my knee done so I could enjoy the cruise we have coming up in January, now he has problems with his hip. I think we better hold on to the hospital bed a little longer...
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's hip. Hopefully, it's something that will clear up and you can really enjoy that winter cruise!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's hip. Hopefully, it's something that will clear up and you can really enjoy that winter cruise!

The doctor ordered x-rays for my Hubby and so now we wait.

We had a good school day, she got 94 on her first spelling test and 98 on her first language test. She had a fun art project today making a house out of a paper bag.

Knee is doing okay, no therapy until Friday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom