BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Seven years post OP and nerve damage improved but not perfect

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Campervan, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Simone

Simone member

United States United States
    I'm sorry to read that you are having the issues with your knee. I have no words as I am in much the same situation. I hope your Dr's can find a way to help you.

2. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    I saw my GP today and yes she thinks the swim fins are aggravating my TKR knee. So still swim, but no fins. I've taken diclofenac for a few days and its definitely settled it down.

@Josephine @Celle I've just come across this from the NZ Joint Registry. A 15 year report on joint replacements.
    http://www.nzoa.org.nz/nz-joint-registry

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Margaret, @Campervan

I'm glad your GP thinks your knee pain was caused by the fins. I hope it settles down soon.

Thank you for the link to the NZ Joint Registry report. I've only skimmed through it so far, but I intend to go back and read it more thoroughly.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Very interesting, Margaret. Thank you.

Did you know that of the three most used joint registries (UK, Australia and Sweden) three hips were classified quite differently in each country - like so

country-implant charts.JPG

It was concluded that the only variable factor in these was the surgeon! Go figure1

5. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Just goes to show that we're right when we say that the skill of the surgeon is the paramount factor!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    LTKR booked for 20 May so I've started a pre-op thread "Here we go again".

• Like Like x 2
  7. PooShay

PooShay Sr Bonesmartie

Margaret. I too had blocks, both femoral and sciatic. I'm bi-lateral, so hopefully done. If I'm asked I would definitely recommend against. I still nerve pain and damage, but mine is sensory only.

Good luck to your other knee in a few months.

Just celebrated 3rd year post op (where does the time go?) and all is very well for me.

Hugs.

8. Clipless

Clipless post-grad

Hi Margaret! After working my quads a lot harder I have finally got my extension lag to almost zero. Yay! It was difficult, and quite painful at first (as you said), but I feel much better now.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. You'll breeze right through it this time!

9. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    I thought I'd update my right knee thread and then go do my left one. So here goes for the right. I'm testament to the fact that recovery does continue after one year as I'm now 4.5 years.

18 months ago I'd been told the quad lag of 5degrees was likely permanent and some Bonesmarties asked the impact, which I've copied from the earlier post and then after each one I've put where things are at now. I think there has been some improvement in the lag.

- I'll never ski again - i've moved to another town where there are no mountains so it isn't in my face in winter and can't depress me. Sold all my ski gear before I left last August.
    - I can hike up the mountains - 'Still doing this but along river and bush trails - limited by my left knee which is 11 months old
    - The leg won't totally straighten when walking so puts pressure on other joints and other parts of the knee - i keep locking up the fibula head - this has all gone away, thank goodness
    - hamstrings go under tension so need occasional physio massage etc to release - haven't been to physio for about 6 months for the right one
    - the quad can't strenthen much more than it has so the knee will buckle but only occasionally, tends to buckle if I get slightly off balance where normally the quad would give extra control - hasn't buckled for a long time
    - the quad being weaker means the patella doesn't pull correctly - I think this is still a problem but only affects going up and down stairs/hills where I can feel a stretch across the knee cap
    - going up and down stairs, up and down hills there is pain/stiffness across the front of the knee but probably because of the patella not tracking but it does ease off the further I go - just the same

Range of this knee - somewhere between 120 and 125. haven't had it measured in a long time. Extension zero and to get this I think means the lag must have improved .

• Like Like x 2
  10. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Wow, that is a big improvement. Do you miss the mountains?? My husband is not able to ski now either and he is ready to move to the beach. Unfortunately I hate hot weather.

11. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Margaret, it's good to hear from you again, especially with good news.
    I'm glad to hear that you right leg is still improving. :yes!: :dancy:
    You've had to be so patient with it.

12. Clipless

Clipless post-grad

Congratulations on 4.5 years and less quad lag!

13. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    @skigirl do I miss the mountains? yes and no! I miss the hiking tracks as you'll know they are different to bush/forest tracks which is what we have in the north of New Zealand. I definitely do not miss the cold. We are now well into Autumn and I'm still in cargo pants or shorts during the day. And I have a joined an awesome choir of 60 voices and singing some stuff that I only ever dreamed of singing. In three weeks time we have a concert where the main piece is Puccini's Messa di Gloria.

@Celle and @Clipless that you for the well wishes.

My left has been playing up these past couple of days but it didn't stop me spending an hour today cleaning all the tiled floors in the house. I've bought a steam mop which makes it easy.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Such a long time since I posted and Hi to all those still around that I knew. Both my knees are great.

BUT I have developed multiple (at least two) ganglion cysts in my right foot. They've been appearing and disappearing for a couple of years and weren't painful, just annoying, and would be gone within 3 days of appearing. Now they are painful and hanging around longer. I know I can have them aspirated or surgically removed but I am concerned for infection of my knee/s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Campervan, it’s nice to meet you, though I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances.

You are kind of famous around here as we often share your ROM journey with members who are worried about their ROM.

I’ll tag @sistersinhim she is having a similar situation with her foot.

How’s the nerve situation doing that you wrote about earlier?

16. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Margaret,
    Nice to see you again, sorry you are having trouble with ganglions.
    How are you doing otherwise?

What ever procedure you have, the OS will be sure take into account you have TKR's and proceed appropriately.
    When I had a skin cancer excised (it is gone) and end up with a community acquired MRSA infection. I went to an infection doctor, he the risk is extremely low of the infection traveling to my knee, pretty much I would need to be immunocompromised or in very poor health.

If you would like to change the title of your thread, post it here, a moderator will change it for you.

17. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

hi @Campervan. You need to find out what is causing your cysts. When I had mine drained, the doctor did an ultrasound before hand and discovered that I have a spur that were irritating my tendons and causing the cyst. I had it drained and it filled back up in just a few days. My OS has scheduled a CT scan and will operate to remove the spur and whatever else needs to be done. I sent Josephine my xrays and she suggests I go ahead and do the surgery because each time the cyst is drained it is a possibility of getting an infection in the foot.

Has your doctor told you the cause of your cysts?

I will tag @Josephine because she can much better answer your question than I can.

18. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Where are these sited?

medial view foot-horz.jpg

Or is it anything like this?

Mortons Neuroma 2.jpg

19. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Margaret, it's good to hear from you again, but not good that you're having a problem with cysts.

I hope that Josephine can set your mind at rest and that you go ahead with getting rid of those nasty little nuisances.

20. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Josephine
    Thank you for your help. They're around F5-G6 on right foot. Here's the ultrasound report that I had done in March 18 but now my foot hurts more often and for longer. The pain radiates from under my ankle, under the outer side of my foot and across to my big toe and everywhere in between.

Indication
    Lateral midfoot lump.
    Findings
    No signs of arthritis. No fracture nor focal bony lesion.
    ULTRASOUND RIGHT FOOT
    Findings

Corresponding to the area of concern on the lateral foot in the region of the distal peroneus brevis tendon attachment is a bilobed, anechoic, avascular cystic lesion, most likely a ganglion cyst. The component plantar to the peroneus brevis tendon measures 9 x 5 x 4 mm and the component dorsal to the tendon measures 17 x 3 x 7 mm. The distal peroneal brevis tendon appears normal.