Guest viewing is limited

TKR Seven years out, Right TKR

Hi @julesm86 So glad to hear you are doing so well. I remember how excited I was when I could do some of those first's...like going up and down stairs like a normal person, and the first time I could go all the way around on the stationary bike...I cried that time! It is exciting...and many times I thought I would never get there. But we do...amazingly we do! Good for you!
 
Julie, your recovery will continue to improve over the next months. You have come such a long way and will continue to see improvements. It has taken me 8 months on this slow train but its happened. My knee is strong, I can climb stairs, finally, and flex and extend and walk are great.
You will get there too.
 
Hi Julie, how are you doing? I found my knee to be quite achey over the last few days. It felt like the early days and worried me, but today it's better. This recovery has its ups and downs. Hope you're on an up!
 
Hi @mamazipp :wave: I'm so happy you're still here! :loveshwr: I've been quite achy also~hoping it's just the change in the weather! My knee has also been feeling "loose" lately~~not sure what that's all about??? :what: I still wear my compression stockings at work just for the support they provide. Also, I'm having trouble sleeping~staying asleep cuz I can't get comfortable or my hips start to hurt. :bored: It's all so frustrating! I'm 5 months out this week. Ahhhhhh... Thank you for all your encouragement! I pray we make it to a full recovery soon! I'm glad today was a better day for you! :)
 
Wow, Julie, I just looked up your hometown and I see you are practically in Canada! But far from where I am! The hips are so sensitive to our knee recoveries...the dynamics of walking seem to throw the hips out of whack. I am one who really felt better with compression stockings or stocking, I should say, as I only wore one. It seemed to help keep my whole leg supported.
Yes, this is a long haul. Hope your sleep can get more comfortable. It's hard to work with less than satisfying sleep. :bawl:Does your work keep you on your feet a lot! Can you elevate and ice at work?

I don't know about the loose feeling. Where does it feel loose? Is it painful or just strange? Ach, it just seems such a long recovery.
 
Thanks @mamazipp *** I do end up wearing the compression stockings on both legs as it helps my TKR knee feel secure & also on my left knee, that'll one day~~VERY far down the road :groan: need to be replaced, feel comforted from taking over thru this recovery. I'm a Medical Assistant in a busy Internal Medicine practice where I'm on my feet for most of 10-11 hr/day ~ I do ice and elevate thru my lunch, which helps. I'm pooped by the end of the day, and ice my whole drive home. I think the stockings help relieve some of the discomfort & also offer support enough to help me walk normal.
The loose feeling sometimes feels like I hear clunking sounds when I move my knee, not painful luckily, just weird???
I did get out my incline pillow, like the one shown in the BS instructions of how to elevate, and slept with it last night and it made a huge difference! :) YAY!
Hope you have a great night!:flwrysmile:
 
That clunking you are experiencing is quite normal during recovery. It will lessen with some time or at a minimum, you'll become less aware of it. As long as there is no pain associated with what you're feeling, please don't worry. We go through a lot of "phases" during this healing process and the "clunk" is certainly one of them for a lot of people.

Here's an article about it from our BoneSmart Library: Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
Julie, I have that clunking feeling and sound too. I don't notice it outside, but in the house it seems very loud! I don't have pain with it and hoping it doesn't last forever. But, maybe it will.
Your job sounds very hard on your knee for right now, but icing does help.

Have a great night too.:wave:
 
I have the same clunking at times. For me it seems to happen more often when my knee is swollen which is during my work days. As my swelling has decreased the clunking is getting less.
 
Hi Julie-- I had clunking and thank goodness the folks here told me it was OK. MamaZ (I think MamaZipp?) had a great description of the weirdness I was feeling. My 2.5 month knee is still clunking at times, but rarely.

I'm not able to log on as much anymore (working from home now), but if you want a non- bone chat, please feel free to pm me (I know we have to keep on target here--as we should!). Miss you! And please know you are on the prayer and thought list of friends, near and far!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sheliac ..... please don't worry about a few off topic posts in anyone's thread. That's not a problem. We realize that some banter back and forth is part of the bonding and recovery process. Nice to see you on the forum again and supporting your friends.
 
Hi Julie, I also have found I need to ice and elevate my leg when sleeping as well as when I first get home from work...as I'm also on my feet a lot! I'm actually still using the ice machine I came home with from hospital at 4 months out! Am so thankful for that thing! I've also been finding my hip and ankle of my TKR leg are "speaking" up more recently and a PT and a different massage therapist suggest they have seen this happen in TKR folks before, as muscles and tendons heal in new positions after the operation straightens the leg as mine has had occur. So, I'm stretching and massaging the achy places more, in hopes that will relieve some of the discomfort.
 
Hi Julie, how are you today? I can relate to what you said about the clunking feeling in the knee, it happened in PT once, and I asked the physio if he could hear it. He could but said its no big deal. I notice you also have a Stryker Triathlon, lots of us with those seem to have clunking.
I also liked the feeling of support the stockings gave me, although the it was like the battle of the bulge to get them on! I tried a thigh high compression sleeve a while ago but was very depressed to find that even the largest size was much too tight.
I hope you are managing to get some decent sleep now, it makes all the difference.
Tabby xxx
 
I couldn't stand the compression socks for one minute! Too tight! But my dad love son them and has worn them since his last TKR three years ago. Even during his THR recovery my brother would help him by pulling them on for him. My dad wears them every day now.
 
Hello Julie. Count me in with those that hear clunking in my head from my knee. No one seems to hear it outside, but I sure do! Also, I'm going on 6 months and still have to ice after doing extra physical things. I still swell and ache afterwards. I have found that ice helps more than Oxy for me! Good luck and God bless you!
 
How are you feeling this evening? I'm glad you found the pillow elevation helpful. I bought a couple of the elevators that I used for about 3 months then I switched to just one thick pillow. My extension is better now so I can do without the pillow at night. When I ice during the day I normally just sit in my recliner unless there's extra swelling. Then I elevate again.
 
Hi Julie, was thinking back to your comments about hips being impacted and I feel like i am starting to be more aware of this added impact. I seem to restrict my stride due to knee stiffness and now my hip seems more limited, too. I'm wondering what hip mobility things I can do, aside from a couple of exercises I was given, and some yoga or Feldenkrais movements. I also elevate my leg at night, but think it's allowing my hip flexor to shorten and be more restricted than is ideal... I think you're one month ahead of me in terms of surgery date, right: June 14 to my July 12? So, wonder if others have found this to be a common occurrence?

I'm glad to hear your supervisor sees that you need some relief and found ways to accommodate your need; that's very kind, and smart, too, since otherwise you might need to cut back your hours to help yourself heal. Your work hours sound really intense for someone so soon from a TKR, so just sending you support and encouragement! I admire your effort but hope it isn't stalling your healing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom