TKR Seven years out, Right TKR

It's typical for some knees to clunk or make a noise. One of our advisors has one silent TKR and one that makes a noise.

Hi Julie - Both my knees clunk, the right one more than the left. I can't tell if they're getting a little quieter, or I'm noticing them less. My OS told me to expect some noise. Does it hurt?

I also have adhesions on my right patella. It feels tight and hurts when I go up and downstairs. Is that what you have?

One of our advisors has one silent TKR and one that makes a noise.
That's me!

My five-year-old TKR still clunks from time to time, while my two-year-old TKR is silent. It's not really significant and, since it doesn't hurt, I ignore it.

I hear it clunk in my head, but no one else has said that they hear it. I also feel it, but it doesn't hurt at all when it does it. No, not fun and that tibia pain is my biggest complaint now. I hope it soon goes away. I haven't heard too many people on here mention it. I guess you and I are just different!

Thanks everyone! No, there's no pain with the clunky sound, but it seems to be doing it more often then it was. @SwimGirl I don't have the tightness on the top of my knee but behind the upper calf behind the knee on the outside that keeps it from bending more~would that be adhesions back there?

It sounds more like a tight (possibly inflamed) tendon than adhesions.

Adhesions are quite rare, in spite of all the warnings the PT therapists bang on about.

??? Question ??? I understand that the knee clunking is normal. My question is has anyone had the clunking & felt it happen while rolling over in bed & causing pain? Sometimes I feel like my knee/knee cap is moving??? Not sure if that's possible... Each time I've seen my OS he takes an X-ray & says everything looks great & in place... Should I be concerned? Thanks for your help!

I used to feel that periodically too. It was only when I had my knee on its side when rolling over. Over the last couple months as my leg has gotten stronger I no longer feel pain when doing that.

Especially when I began sleeping on my side I noticed what felt like my knee coming out of joint. It was more surprising than painful, but I usually let out a yelp. A very weird feeling for sure!

@newlybionic @KarriB is this just a phase of recovery & nothing to worry about? And what can I do to make my knee stronger~more PT or certain exercises? Do you think wearing compression stockings at this point are helpful or hurting my knee? Im 8 months tomorrow & thot I'd be so further along...
I appreciate all your help with all my questions!

I don't think it's something to worry about but if this is a major concern to you then you can give the OS a call. I'm a few months ahead of you but I can't tell you when I felt better. I think it was just the additional time of walking, a little run of a couple of steps here and there and my daily activities that continued to strengthen my knee.

I think just daily living is fine and your normal routine. When I began biking consistently at 6 months and swimming at 8 months I noticed those popping out experiences happened less. As my OS said it can take a whole year to feel 100%.

When I'm on my side in bed, if I lift up my new knee sideways, like a clam lift, it is sometimes painful. If I twist the knee a certain way, it hurts. I, too, was hoping the pain would be over by now, but not so. Most of the time it's OK, but the pain is still worse than my old knee. I don't notice it clunking any more while on my side than other times, but the clunking doesn't hurt.

Hello again BoneSmarties! Be encouraged, new knees, that in time things it’ll be good. Don’t get too discouraged during the difficult times.
I have a question/concern~7yrs ago I had a RTKR & have been doing fine. But….last Wednesday, while playing hid & seek with my granddaughter, I wiped out & fell directly on my knee. It is bruised, swollen & very sore. My question is, could I have damaged anything??? Should I be concerned? Should I go see my surgeon? I know I probably broke up any scare tissue from the years…
Thanks for any & all input.

Do you have pain on weightbearing/walking or torsional/twisting knee movement? Better or worse bruising/pain since you fell on Wednesday? Feel any unusual rotational movement inside the joint? Do you have any overlying osteoporosis or bone issues?

To be honest if then bruising/swelling/pain is not getting better it might be smart to get a Dr to order some xrays.

I hope it starts to feel better.

Thanks Axx22~I can walk/weightbear as normal . I did twist it also when I fell so it’s sore on the outside. It’s hot to the touch & the point of impact (scar area) is puffed out. Is there anything I could have damaged since everything is metal inside? Do I need to worry about tendon/ligament damage?

I’m on a blood thinner, so I bruise horribly for any bump, but that’s clearing up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back