Guest viewing is limited

Set my date for Oct 21, a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are given two packets of the special wipes with the instructions to use the night before your surgery after your shower and on the morning of your surgery. One wipe for the front of your body one for the back of your body and to use especially well on the knee to be replaced. On the packets it specifically says not to use on the face or genital area. The emphasis is the knee.
 
I know this is a recovery question but I am not there yet. Hoping someone will jump in. My husband and I are basketball season ticket holders for our college. I know I will be missing the beginning of the season with my Oct 21 surgery. I was hoping to make the huge game the first week of December. I would rent a wheel chair and sit in handicap. Am I kidding myself? Or is this doable at just 6 weeks post op?
 
It could be doable with the wheel chair. What my knee really did not like was having it down (as if you are sitting) for any length of time. Even at 6 wks post op. Maybe if you got up and walked around that would help. Which I would do regardless. But every knee and recovery is different.
 
They had me dress the next day. OT came to help and be sure I knew how to maneuver the surgical leg.
 
Webbie - I crossed the 6 week mark last Thursday and I feel like I've had a good recovery. I'm not using any devices to assist my walking, but my pace is still slow. I think sitting for the length of a game would be difficult for me. Not sure how comfortable a wheelchair might make it. But I especially would not be comfortable in a large crowd that might be moving faster than me.

Since you have season tickets you might want to make your decision closer to the date. Even at the last minute you could pass them if needed.
 
I think it's doable, with a wheelchair. It's good advice to get up and walk a bit now and then. Even better to try and get a wheelchair that will support your leg out straight - but you will need to put your leg down when the wheelchair is being pushed, or else your sore leg is likely to get knocked by people, doorways, etc.
Ir could be a good idea to take a walking stick, so that you can use it to guard your knee.
 
So very proud of myself.....lost and kept off 5 pounds. Not a huge weight loss but a huge accomplishment for someone with other medical issues. I would love to loose anothe 2 pounds before Oct 21.
 
Dang, I just decided to read more on this site and in the library and have scared myself silly. What am I getting myself into?

Here I am worried about a basketball game. I have a cross country trip planned for Christmas. I leave on Dec 19. I will be flying so 2 hours, layover for 3 hours and then a 31/2 hr flight. I am trying to book first class so I will have more room. Having some doubts now.
 
@mla925 I recognize the knitting pattern in your avatar. I have made it a few times. Knitting is helping me pass the time. Time is dragging now.....2 weeks seems like it will never pass.

Thank you for your imput. It is helpful to know how others are doing post surgery.
 
@webbie73 - Knitting/crocheting is my favorite hobby. I thought I would be able to get quite a bit done on a shawl project during recovery but I didn't have my concentration back until week 3 or so. Magazine reading (and dozing!) was my top leisure activity for the first few weeks.

Regarding your December trip: I've just crossed the 7 week mark, so I'm about at the point you will be by the time of your trip. Given that, I think the biggest challenge may be sitting and having your leg down that long during the flights. First class would certainly give you more room to stretch that leg. Walk around when you can in flight, and find some where between flights to prop your leg up. I know there are "instant" ice packs that would come in handy, but who knows if TSA would let them through!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@webbie73
You might be able to make that trip by air. Do plan ahead and make sure you ask for wheelchair escort at the airports. This article gives some suggestions that might help:
Flying soon after surgery
 
Thanks for the links for air travel. I have used wheelchair assist before. I booked our trip in first class and we only have one plane change. Should not be too bad.the tickets are refundable just in case.

I had an appointment with the OS late yesterday. We went over anesthesia and pain control. I will have a femoral nerve block, a pain med cocktail and general anesthesia along with pain meds injected in the knee during surgery. I will be pre medicated for nausea and vomiting in recovery. I sure hope that medication works!!

When he was looking at my knee showing me the incision he would be making he noticed a surgical scar bottom right of my knee that is about 2 1/2 inches. It is from where a skin cancer was removed. he did not want his incision getting close to that scar so now I will have an off center incision.

In all I just wish the waiting around was over. Count down is on.
 
October 21 is this week! Today I will be pulling all my aids together along with clothes for the rehab center. LOL who would have thought 6 1/2 years ago when I got all my orthopedic aids such as a grabber, sock aid, walker,cane etc that I would be getting so much use out of them!

Tonight my dear hubby and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It will be 42 years on Oct 20....no going out to dinner the night before surgery!!!

At this point I just want Wednesday to come!
 
Oh forgot to mention that yesterday I had a therapeutic massage. The woman I go to massaged my knee.......it feels so good today!!!!!!! I do know this feeling will not last but oh how nice it is not to feel that ache and stiffness. She also worked on my bad lower back so I will be I will be in tip top shape for surgery and recovery.
 
The wait is over! Today I tie up loose ends like packing, stocking the fridge for hubby, changing the bed and tonight showering with the special soap.

Nerves have set in...think because I have done this joint replacement stuff before and I know what is coming and in a way dread it.
 
Dear Kathy,
Thinking of you and wishing you comfort and ease as you move through this process. Looking for ward to hearing from you after surgery. :SUNsmile:
 
I'm with you for surgery tomorrow - sheets are in the washer, freezer is stocked, just made (vegetarian) chicken soup for my return home on Thursday. May we both do well! My sister and husband just left this morning after a 4-day visit, so I haven't had time to dither about the surgery until now. Off to sterilize my body in the shower again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom