Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

I might have had surgery 30 years ago....? Sorry, it has yet to sink in.:sad:
 
Oh sweetheart - 30 years ago you could NOT have been having hip replacements! :wink:
 
Yes i had congenital mild hip dysplasia and had severe OA in right hip and mild in left.. I had both hips replaced. 4/7 and 7/28. I felt to young for all this. I'm 47 and now I see it can happen to anyone any age.
 
Severe left hip dysplasia at birth. Didn't walk until age 5... Walked without crutch at 7... Long time living with limitations. 7wks postop... Totally worth having surgery. Waited for a long time. Not convinced they could fix me... Fear... Not wanting revision later on... Waiting for technology and medicine to advance to the point where it is now. All in all, probably shouldn't have waited this long. Regardless... I am already feeling big improvement. Best wishes.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Like @313Lola, I had to put surgery off for nearly 6 months b/c of work commitments - I had two post doctoral fellows relying on me to finish their supervised professional experience for licensure.

Using a cane made a huge difference for mobility and pain control. Still couldn't walk very far, but there was much less pain. Seeing myself with a cane was discouraging, but oh well. Just think - along with a new hip, we get a vanity reduction for no extra charge!

If you enjoy biking, go for it - I found the ability to move freely buoyed my spirits tremendously. Cruiser or mtn bikes were comfortable. I also agree with the suggestion to do upper-body training and core work. Having a strong core really helps, especially getting in and out of bed in the month after surgery, when the hip flexor on the affected leg is offline. If you can tolerate the prehab exercises for hips, great, it'll help you get stronger faster after surgery. If it hurts too much, don't do them and don't worry about it.

Speaking from both personal experience and professional training, any practice that calms your mind will lower your cortisol (brain chemical, a part of our stress response) levels and thus help with pain. Meditation, guided imagery, relaxation training, diaphragmatic breathing exercises, etc. If these sorts of things are new to you, or even if they aren't, an excellent guided imagery practice for easing pain is at healthjourneys.com. Even better, Kaiser Permanente has this practice and one to prepare for surgery available at kp.org/listen, where anybody can download it for free! I've been sending students from the college health center where I work this site for years. [emoji12] mindfulness meditation body scan practices are also very useful for managing pain. Anything of this nature is most helpful when you do it repeatedly, a little bit at a time over a period of days and weeks.

Hang in there!



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
 
Ouch, what a long wait! Do you do any swimming? Pre-surgery, I found that spending time in a pool, particularly if it was heated, helped ease my discomfort a bit and take some of the stress off my joints.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
B/L Hip dysplasia here also, not diagnosed until recently. Looking at new hips in my future as well.
 
Hopefully something will open up unexpectedly?so sorry you have to hurt for so long.
I had issues manifesting mostly as low back pain and sciatica with no diagnosis for 5-6 years...the last 3 before surgery to a chronic evermore debilitating level.
I tried every over the counter and eventually prescription med and my experience with bone on bone end stage OA, did not find one to make a big difference with physical pain. A few numbed the brain which stress is a killer too you know.
And few helped with sleep that was also increasingly non-existant.
Keep your eye on the prize, it's still there. Try to keep healthy - and improving my upper body strength and losing weight was very helpful pre and post surgery.
Hang in there!
 
Not actually an adductor pillow but any old pillow will do in the early days!
 
I am years out of surgery, but I continue to keep my trusty pillow handy every night. On those nights when it gets pushed out for some reason, and I wake up on my back....inevitably it is an aching back. And as Jo says, it's just an ordinary bed pillow.

Sharon
 
I slept on my side, with a pillow between my knees, before THR and for a couple of months afterwards. Then I found that I was more comfortable without it, so I gave it up.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
I did for the first few weeks after each surgery but not after.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Does the dislocation fear ever go away? (like after 6 months post op) or is it forever?

Thank you again for all your help,
Liz
 
Most of us forget that we even have an artificial hip after a few months. Once you reach that point, you don't spend much time thinking about dislocation. It would be like worrying that you'll crash your car every time you get behind the wheel. It could happen, but it probably won't, so it's not something to worry too much about.
 
Same here.
I don't even think about my hips much now at all.
Joe.....
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom