Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

@sequin98 Talk to your surgeon - some surgeons insist on what are called hip precautions which last for about 6-8 weeks. The usual ones of those are no bending past 90 degrees (so brushing teeth, sitting, etc is OK but bending down to the floor is not), no crossing legs, no hyper extension of the hips in any direction. On the other hand, some surgeons do not impose any restrictions. If your surgeon does impose restrictions, as I said, once the 6-8 weeks is up then you can do pretty much anything bending wise.

@sequin98 I agree with Deb-- make sure you ask your OS. I've had anterior, and the surgeon says there are No Restrictions but there are actually in reality of I'd like to keep these hips for a lifetime, as I would. So no more running for me, as it would wear them out faster, and I really don' relish the thought of doing this again at 80. My mom is going to be 90 in October, and her mom was 88 when she died, so I need to be a little careful! I also have been told of the position that will certainly lead to dislocation, so I think, all things considered, that I will not take up skiing or surfing at this time! If I were already god in those sports, of course I'd go back to them!

I cross my legs all the time, although I had to avoid man-style for about 8 weeks. Just until the proper things got to the proper stage of healing. I LOVE turning out and knowing I'm going to be able to sit tailor-fashion after this current one heals up. I cannot wait for that-- I've stayed off the floor and been an old lady for several years, and I wanna get on the floor!!

Oops, I have my good leg crossed over the op leg as I type-- not the best idea but I needed a change LOL...

I know I am waaay ahead of myself, but i am not a big bath person. My shower is a rain shower head, I have a safety rail. Do I really need to sit while I shower?
I wish I could sleep through the recovery.......

No need to sit when you shower. But you should have something you can hold on to while in the shower. In the early days you might not feel as confident on your feet. If you have a safety rail that's perfect.

Sounds like you are bit anxious about all this. Share your concerns here. Many of us have been in that space and we are happy to help you through this.

I too am preparing for surgery. I need safety rails for my shower. I have tile walls. Is there a special company that I can order and have them installed permanently? I tried a suction one and it kept popping out.

@Hipster48 you would need to get a local handyman to install something permanent. You can purchase rails from a good bathroom shop or mobility shop. Or try on-line.

It is amazing what you may eventually be able to do post-op.
You should though follow the early restrictions of your surgeon (6 to 8 wks ).
I'm a long while out now but for example I do gentle yoga which I thought I'd never be able to do again.
The only Restrictions I have imposed on myself No Running or Impact Exercise though there are even people who do this.
Get This life altering operation over then listen to your body.
Best Wishes.
Joe......

Definitely talk to your surgeon! Any restrictions will be based on their approach etc. I didn't have any restrictions, from day 1, about bending past 90 degrees, crossing legs, or anything like that.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I did appreciate having a shower seat for the first few times I showered as I didn't have much energy. It's worth looking into getting one, some senior centers have them available for use.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Tub vs walk-in shower might be part of the equation. My place has a tub and glass shower door - I tried sitting on a shower stool once, but found it to be more work getting situated than it was to just stand. The key for me was grippy tub stickers. Bought them in advance, and they made the world of difference. Be a nice complement to your safety rail. Used the walker to back my way into the shower, and to steady myself coming out of it. Worked great.

I also bought a nice long handled loofah/scrubbie to reach my legs and feet - way better than those cheapo sponges they sell at the medical supply shops. Great for getting nice good scrub all over.

Hi @sequin98

I took my walker into the shower until I was comfortable standing alone. The only other option I had to hold onto was the shower door handle, which was awkward and didn't feel adequate. I definitely would get permanent grab bars over any suction option. I would not trust it if it's not permanently affixed, not worth it, you don't want to risk falling with your brand new hip.....
A great week to you!

I have the tub/shower combination so taking a shower meant climbing over the edge of the tub. We "borrowed" a shower chair at our local rescue squad at no charge and I used it for about 2 weeks. They keep a supply of used medical equipment on hand for anyone to borrow when needed. It worked great. You might check around your area (dr office, senior center, PT facility, etc) to see if anyone knows of a place like this. I've also heard of people picking them up at thrift stores. If you can step right into your shower without stepping over anything and have a safety rail, you are all set for sure.

I can tell you surgery and recovery is much, much easier than I expected and so worth every little ache and pain because no more OA pain!! It is fantastic!!

I have it in both hips, but I am on the list for the right hip. The left is 'moderate' OA right now. I wonder what parts of me have been compensating.

Honestly, I wish I could hold someone accountable. My mom tells me over again how they checked.

Yip.
Not me though.
Wander through some of the threads and you'll find quite a few who have had hip replacements due to dysplasia.
Most are not posting any more because they have had good recoveries.
Best Wishes.
Joe.....

I had congenital hip dysplasia in both hips. And as Joe says there are many members on this board who had THRs due to this. Very common unfortunately.

Yes me too, just had my left hip replaced June 19th. My right one has no symptoms right own and hope it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yes I do. The left hip is the worst. Contemplating surgery. I haven't been able to convince myself yet.

At one time, my right hip was the worst. I originally went the the Orthopedic Dr for it and had xrays. I let it go for a while, and when it got worse, I went back and the left was worse. I think the Dr thought I was crazy. I don't get it either, but now xrays and MRI shows both have dysplasia, but the left is worse. Arthritis in both and cysts.

Honestly, I wish I could hold someone accountable. My mom tells me over again how they checked.
What would you expect to hold them accountable for? Whether they checked and found anything wouldn't have made a scrap of difference. You're born with this. If you have to 'blame' anyone, blame your forefathers/mothers. It's a genetic issue which probably goes back generations down your family line.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom