Guest viewing is limited

THR Seem to be going backwards

Should I ice, massage, stretch (and what stretches) or try and walk it out?
At only 3 months post-op, it isn't uncommon to overdo things. As we start to feel better, we can accidentally do more than our knees are ready to handle.

icing and elevating are still the best source of relief for pain and inflammation. But, I'd encourage you to also try some self-massage and easy stretches. Try all of the above and see what works best for you.
 
Yes have been massaging and it is helping. Thanks. It is pretty stiff when I get up from lying or sitting but after a while it eases up enough to walk a bit.
 
Yes much better today. Quite a shock though. Thanks for all the reassurance and advice.
I have been wondering about shoes going forward. I’ve read that one should avoid walking in old shoes because of the wear patterns built up pre-op. I mentioned it to my surgeon at the 6-week check and he seemed surprised at the idea. What do you think? I have a couple of pairs of beloved flat ankle boots that are probably 20years old that have lots of wear still in them!
 
@sadie1001 Look at the bottoms of those favorite ankle boots. IF you can see a distinct wear pattern on heels and soles then either get them resoled & reheeled or get new ones. That wear pattern is the old limping pattern from having a deteriorating hip. And that old pattern can keep you walking in that old limping gait .... and that is NOT good for new hips.
 
Last edited:
Good tip about shoes and boots. I had never really needed an excuse to buy new footwear but I do have one now.
 
As women do we need a good reason to buy new shoes??? Yes, I bought all new slip on type shoes as well as new slides to wear around the house.
 
It was quite painful to see my wonderful shoes go but I donated ones gently used which helped. I won’t mention my beloved boots. I am slowly getting shoes- I truly believe I walk differently now.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Treat yourself to a new pair of shoes. You deserve it! :wink:
Have a wonderful weekend, sadie!
@sadie1001
 
Thank you! It’s such a blessing being able to come here with questions and worries and have such support. Yes three months and I’m getting on really well. Exercising, especially my glutes which had practically atrophied and not supporting hips and back properly. My chiropractor has given me a small lift for the left leg and that has helped my back no end. Only 4mm but what a difference. I continue to be amazed at how tiny shifts have such knock on effects on the rest of the body.
 
Indeed they do @sadie1001 !
All the little changes and milestones add up and suddenly ... life is back to "normal," only way better than before surgery!
 
Thanks for sharing here, sadie. We appreciate it. Good to read the lift is helping ease the back pain.
You're doing amazing! Take care. :) :-) (:
@sadie1001
 
Harking back to pre-op shoes and boots, and use/non use post-op, is it enough to have them re-soled and heeled? Or are the wear patterns in the rest of the shoe too strong? (Leather ones, quite soft).
 
Hi sadie,
I wouldn't worry about relatively new shoes that only show minimal wear. It's impractical for us to toss all of our old shoes if they're only lightly worn and in good condition. I didn't.

As far as frequently / heavily worn shoes, those I'd likely replace. You want shoes that provide decent support as your hip and surrounding muscles heal. As we all know, worn out shoes lose their cushion. You want shoes with good grip also decreasing your risk of a fall. Your old shoes with uneven wear may not support your new gait which changes as our joint deteriorates, then once again after surgery. Consider investing in a good pair that you wear most often. Hope this helps. Happy Thursday!
@sadie1001
 
Six months on and everything is going well! I can do most things although haven’t tried a bath yet! A doctor friend of my husband who works in A&E, said that the cause of most hip dislocations they see are people with THR getting out of the bath! Obviously needs care but at this stage, I think it’s more about confidence.
I can now put on my socks, cut my toenails-continue to do the exercises, and walk for half an hour a day. Waiting for the weather to get better and then will do more.
All the aches and pains have subsided – occasional groans from various muscles and the odd shooting pain at the wound – but all in all I am absolutely thrilled not to hurt when I stand and walk. Every time is a lovely surprise!
Like so many people here I was quite nervous about everything! You guys have been such a wonderful support.
Thank you again and again
 
I think it’s more about confidence.
I agree with you. I had difficult descending stairs after my surgery and couldn't figure out why -- I finally realized that it was fear of falling.

I can now put on my socks, cut my toenails-continue to do the exercises, and walk for half an hour a day.
You are doing great! Keep it slow and steady and the rest will come.
:flwrysmile:
 
@sadie1001 This is a terrific update. I know I kept surprising myself well into my recovery when I did something that had been so natural to me before the hip got really bad without deliberating about it before hand. That's when I knew that I had gotten my confidence enough to let my muscle memory take back over. It was such a liberating feeling. Blessings as you continue your recovery journey and discover all those victory moments.
 
I am 7 months into recovery, I have taken the advice of Bonesmart and not tried to run before I can walk. Being steady does the best.I can now work in the garden nothing heavy like digging, but pottering around makes me feel good. I walk when I go shopping with a good friend who takes me. I would love to go on a decent walk, but I live up a hill, not like a mountain but steep enough to make me worry that if I get too far down I will not be able to get back home. I think it could be a confidence thing. My last post was about a painful scar that is getting much better now just itchy and the occasional twinge if I do something wrong, the twinge still happens. But I do find myself doing things I could not do 2 months ago. So I say be patient slowly does it better. I Know it feels like you can do everything because no pain like before your new hip. But it will come back slowly.
 
Back
Top Bottom