THR Seeing the Light!

Just for your interest (or not) - now I am back at work I tend to go to bed at around 8pm and sleep on and off until about 7am when I need to get up again. Energy Drain is real - it is getting better though.

@SurreyGirl thanks for letting me know.
I cannot believe how I am dragging. Now that I have decorated four out of 21 little monsters, I am going back on ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Energy drain totally sucks, no matter where you are in recovery! I went to an evening event, out of the house last night, and I must say this morning I'm feeling much more chipper than the last few days. I think the positive energy created by friends, good chat and laughter, and maybe a glass of wine or two, definitely has made me feel more energized this morning. Of course, we'll see how I'm doing this afternoon! I am sorry, @lovesstars, that your recovery is taking so long, it must feel as slow as molasses and very discouraging. But I hope when you look back to early recovery, or certainly those hard, hard days before surgery when you were in so much pain and disabled, you're able to realize you've really come quite far and, with more time, focus and determination you ARE going to get to full recovery. Hang in there, and maybe think about scheduling something fun for yourself if you can. Best wishes...

A little bit at a time, @lovesstars ! That's a great monster :) I agree with @Barbaraj that it's good to get out, which you are. I got a big thrill out of having lunch at Dunkin' Donuts; took a photo for you. As you see, they are downplaying the original name, just going with initials now and saying "Dunkin'" in their ads, though again, it should be "Dunks" because that's what the locals call it. I'll post on my thread about the PT.

Attachments

• DD.JPG
    DD.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 110
Good old energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Rice Krispy treats are adorable. My granddaughter would love them.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@lovesstars

A little bit at a time, @lovesstars ! That's a great monster :) I agree with @Barbaraj that it's good to get out, which you are. I got a big thrill out of having lunch at Dunkin' Donuts; took a photo for you. As you see, they are downplaying the original name, just going with initials now and saying "Dunkin'" in their ads, though again, it should be "Dunks" because that's what the locals call it. I'll post on my thread about the PT.
Oh! I see! I just asked you about this on your thread! Consider it answered!!!

@lovesstars I had terrible energy drain at two weeks, when I moved onto crutches and did way too much over a period of three days, and it took me four days to recover. When I moved onto the walking/hiking poles, I also became quite tired, but it was more like being out in the fresh air and walking tired, not the crazy drain I had at week two. I get generally tired now, as I am doing more now, but am not sleeping as well as I could (still) at night.

Adorable yummy looking treats!
Hang in there...things are going to get better @lovesstars :tada:

Hi @lovesstars,

No, I did not feel exhausted doing more physical. When I started doing more mentally (returning to work for example), yes... but only for a short period (about a week). Keep in mind though that I have a desk job, and my employer is very understanding. After the first week back (graduated), I started feeling better. The special chair I had helped. Come to think of if, maybe I was exhausted and just didn’t realize it... because my patience was very limited, and I did get frustrated very easily.

For me it seems, every time I push myself a little further... well, okay, a lot further :)... I tweak something and need to rest and take it easy the next day. I am starting to recognize when Ian getting close to that point... but I still tend to push things too far.

I think we all just heal a little differently. Not just at different rates, but our symptoms of recovery . My work colleague had his hip replaced five years ago (at 50). While he took things very slowly, he did not have the same set backs as I have in terms of muscle recovery. But mentally, he could not focus enough to drive until after three months. Whereas I felt I could drive after two weeks but waited for clearance from the OS). Also like me, he was off the narcotics very quickly... but, he stopped taking all pain killers after two weeks, whereas I still take Tylenol at least once a day, and naproxen or ibuprofen every other day... but he limped for a good six month whereas my limp is non existent unless I am tired.

So the fact that you are exhausted in my opinion is normal... for you... and probably for many others... just as muscle tweaks are normal... for me.

Hey, just curious... have you picked up that book I recommended yet? Best $8 I spent, and wish I had picked it up before surgery.

Cheers

Thanks @wonkyhipoy . I didn’t get the book yet. It’s been a bit of a week. I will put it on my list.

At this point I am on Tylenol....and ½ Tramadol per day — and Celebrex. I am getting off the tramadol.
I am driving.
I think swimming two days in a row was lots of ambition and not too much common sense. I will go back to it — but every OTHER day.

Today I did a WHOLE lot — I was up early cooking...then attended a book talk late morning. This afternoon we test-drove four different cars (yes, I was in and out of that many cars) and talked to salesmen. Now resting but we do have a casual dinner tonight. From my vantage point, although I am so tired...I am also so grateful to be having a life. I am at 9-½ weeks.

Cheers back!

Yay!... for many reasons.
Adjusting the meds to your comfort level
Finding your sweet spot with swimming
Cooking
Making the book talk this a.m.
In and out of multiple cars for test drives, then surviving high pressure salesman :heehee:
Casual dinner out
You're Doing Great! :yay: :happydance: Happy 9 1/2 weeks!
@lovesstars

Wow, no wonder you are exhausted. Aside from walking, working, and playing with my little one, I am not doing much else. At week 4 I was doing some upper body weight lifting, but then decided I needed to save thaat energy for healing.

Cheers

And that was a great decision @wonkyhipoy . Plenty of time to build those biceps later xx

@lovesstars great to hear this. I think you are doing great for 9-10 weeks out and also learning your current limitations re exercise at this stage etc.. . Like someone else said, it is the 6 month and 1 year markers where recoveries appear to even out somewhat and the tortoises (me) catch up with the hares. At least I really hope so!!

Funny about the cars. I spotted the brand new MX 5 in a car park today and started drooling. Hubby patted my hand and said “let’s see if you can get in and out of yours first!” :-(

No mx-5’s for me.
I am looking for a practical car.
Something that can climb my steep hill in a blizzard...with four-wheel drive.

Last edited:
Just stopping by to say Hi :hi:
I hope you're having a good week so far @lovesstars
Hopefully your pain is well managed pain, you're able to get the rest you need, mixed in with some activity.
May your days only get brighter :SUNsmile:

Thank you so much, @Layla . That is very kind. I am down to Celebrex, Tylenol and only ½ of one Tramadol tablet per day this week. Hope to eliminate it entirely in a few days.
I am doing a lot of stuff...and body so tired at the end of the day...as you might expect.

I had one of your “AHA” moments yesterday. I went to the grocery store for the first time just with my cane...and I was not in pain. I was normal. I haven’t been to a regular grocery store since June. It was cool.

Sending much affection and appreciation your way.

Isn't it lovely to just be normal without PAIN?
And so much more improvement to come:egypdance:
Onward and upward my hippy pal!:yes!:

I'm very happy to read you're doing better.
I don't think having a healthy feeling of fatigue at the end of the day is a bad thing.
Just don't want to see you struggling with pain, obviously.

I'd love to hear about your Aha moments :happydance:
Navigating around the grocery store at your leisure, as opposed to leaning heavily on the cart, grabbing only what you need and making a B-Line to the respite of your vehicle is exhausting. I'm a sap, eyes just welled up typing about those days. I guess I'm still not far enough removed but also inherited a heavy dose of sap!
I found those moments came unexpectedly, getting in or out of your car and realizing there was no pain, doing your own pedi, putting on socks, or shoes. We each have our own moments but they're waiting around every corner.
THR - the gift that keeps on giving.
Hugs, love and best wishes for a great rest of the week!
@lovesstars

Ah, @lovesstars, it is nice to feel like yourself again, and those "aha" moments are pretty great--have had a few of them myself, always unexpected but always put a smile on my face. Glad you feel like you're doing better--yay!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom