Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

Just wanted to share an update:

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with discomfort in my left knee - first time that has happened in a while. And then this morning, I am experiencing mild zingers in lefty, something that hasn't happened in a while as well. Thinking back on yesterday, I did a little extra, mild uphill walking in the morning, and then participated in a bean bag toss game with family at Easter brunch. I think I worked some muscles that haven't done anything in a couple of years. Funny my arm and shoulder are fine, no discomfort for the "throwing" arm, just lefty is protesting. Makes me wonder how to know in advance whether to participate in something or not. It didn't seem like that big a deal when I was doing it (the bean bag toss - they call it the corn hole game) but there's absolutely nothing else I can think of that was different about yesterday.

Other than the discomfort that lefty is exhibiting this morning (I can't really call it pain, feels like zingers, but on the pain scale I'd put it at a 2.5) I feel great! My sleep has improved to where I am no longer taking ambien, although I do wake up two or three times during the night. I think that is more age related than knees related. I am walking in my interesting and pretty new neighborhood every day, increasing my distance a little at a time. I am really glad that I made the move, and feel like my knee surgery recovery is back on track. I am able to stand for increasing lengths of time, and had no need to sit during the pre-brunch time around the kitchen island while the finishing touches were put on the meal by our hostess. I can honestly say that there were stretches of time yesterday when I did not think about, nor was I aware of, my new knees. Yay!!!

Looking forward to reading today's entries. Happy Monday all. I read where the NY Yankees opening day has to be postposed due to a snow storm. Funny kind of April showers, don't you think? Stay warm east coast of the U.S. folks.
 
Thanks for the thoughts about the snow. It’s rather dismaying to be dealing with it still. We got hardly any, just a little on the grass, but relations 30 miles away got 4 inches. It’s been a wintry spring so far.

The point will come for you, and maybe already has, where you realize your knees are doing really well and will only get better. Less pain. Longer standing. Longer walks. Longer intervals with nothing going on with your knees at all. They become... ordinary. Just knees. It’s a wonderful thing. :happydance:

I’m four months ahead of you and after yesterday’s cooking and moving around my Lefty got sore overnight, not helped by the way I slept, perhaps. So Lefty was sore this morning. I did stand a lot, for hours, cooking the Easter meals. Appetizers take an hour. The lamb and potatoes (peeling, cutting) and sides take another hour. Tending the meal and helping with someone else’s contribution added more time. And there are games and activities and there was a morning shopping trip. It was a bit more than usual. Our knees are still not fully recovered, so while they may be largely forgiving on a day to day basis, anytime they are subjected to much more activity they can act up. Usually they only act up a very little. That’s a huge improvement over six months ago!!! Isn’t it great to see that much progress?

Yay for living big in Colorado!
 
Gosh @SusieShoes you really put in a day's work yesterday. And the menu sounds devine - love roast lamb. I always get straightened out from my sideways mental position when I read your posts. It is so great to read your shares, as you had a btkr like me, four months almost to the day ahead of me. And yes, such an improvement over six months ago - I read some of my early posts this morning and I am so improved today. Much to be grateful for.

I just got a message from a RI friend (not a bonesmartie) who said they got 3 inches in Providence, but that it is all melted now. I have heard that we get spring snow in Denver, but today it is 72 degrees and I'm about to go out for a walk. Susie are you going to make Shepherd's Pie with the leftovers? I love Shepherd's Pie made with lamb - mmmmm, one of my mom's best dishes. :)
 
It has snowed aaaaaaall day today here in Montana! We get a break tomorrow and then more snow on Wednesday and Thursday. Lows in single digits. I am soooo ready for summer!
 
Last edited:
Sounds cold katchmo. No walks outside for you this week! I had a nice little walk today but I had no energy and the wind was blowing - bothered my allergies. Still it was nice to have the slider open this afternoon, to air out the place if nothing else. :)
 
@mlwreader I live right outside of Providence RI and by the end of the day most of the snow had melted.
Your report sounds wonderful! I'll post mine soon but too tired tonight. I do have to say that, just in the last couple of days, I've seen more improvement than in the last 2 weeks!!!!
 
I do have to say that, just in the last couple of days, I've seen more improvement than in the last 2 weeks!!!!

@SherrieT Yay!!!! Horray!!!!! :spin::flwrysmile: So glad to hear this. It's been a long time coming for you. Can't wait to read your update. Hugs.
 
The Easter lamb was devoured by hungry family, with just a few slices left over to make a lamb sandwich for Mr. Shoes. However, while at the butcher Saturday I also picked up some freshly cubed lamb stew meat and Shepherd’s Pie sounds like just the thing for that! Thanks for the idea!

Reading excellent updates is one of the great pleasures of BoneSmart.
 
Icing and elevating after an overnight with my grand girls,which included several trips up and down stairs plus dealing with a killer charley horse during the night. Could not get the duvet out of the way so I could stand up and get rid of the thing. Yanked my leg muscles fighting with the dang thing. Also climbing in and out of my son’s bronco plus walking the dog. So glad to be home -the girls were so good and helpful and sweet. Life is good.
 
Beds and bed linens can be treacherous. My cranky Lefty acts up most of all due to bed things --dislike of certain positions, kicking off sheets, rolling over on a too-soft topper-- and once or twice really complained about that thing you did, trying to escape from under a comforter. :blackcloud: Still, so much better than the original knee! Out of bed, Lefty is no trouble at all. Sorry you got a charley horse. Cramps are no fun.

Grandchildren are our reward for having had children and exercising the patience of saints.
 
I am so excited I had to post this right away. My internet was down and when I called the company, there had been a service outage, and the message was to disconnect the router, wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect and wait 5 minutes and the service would come back up. Easy for them to say, my router was on the bottom, shelf of the bookcase, and my son had tied up the cords to make it neat and tidy. The router wouldn't move very far. I was bending at the waist and got the thing unplugged, but couldn't get it plugged back in to reset everything. Now what.

I kept looking at the floor and picturing myself down there, the mind was willing, would the knees cooperate? I got a pillow from the couch. Also there is a step down right next to the bookcase which goes into my office. I can do this I thought. I knew getting myself down wouldn't be the problem, it was the getting up part. But I took the plunge anyway, because internet!!!!! And I got down there with no problem, and got the router hooked back up. Now to stand up.. . . .

Sitting on the step, I noticed how great my bend was with no discomfort. I could sit on the step with my feet up almost against my butt so my knees were completely bent and it was completely effortless. Got my feet under me with no problem, just no strength to stand up from that position. So I turned myself around and knelt on the cushion with one knee, and pushed myself up with the other leg in combination with my hands. Up in the air went my butt and then my whole body. I did it !!!!!!! I got up from the floor. No pain. Unbelievable. This is so freeing. I have books that I need to put on the lower shelves of that bookcase that have been sitting on the floor in front of the bookcase waiting to be shelved. Now I can sit down there and figure it all out. I have food in the kitchen, dry goods and canned, that I have not put away because the cabinet is below the counter and I was afraid I would not be able to retrieve it once it was down there. Now I know I can.

You guys are the only ones who will understand the joy of this day. Another step forward in my knee recovery. I feel so blessed and so happy and like I can take on the world. Yay me! Yay new knees! Just yay!
 
Yay you! It's amazing when you can do something again, after all the pain and fretting and doubt. Half the battle is learning to trust our new knees to do these things our original knees used to do.

I still can't just stand up from getting down on one or both knees. My leg muscles aren't quite there in strength. They are getting stronger, though. Until then, it's good enough to know that I can use my upper body to complete the job of getting up onto my feet again.

You are going to be doing so many things again now!
 
:yay::wowspring::dancy: What a huge step to freedom you have just taken! You'd better believe that we understand! I have to get up the same way you just did, and have for years. I bet you will get to the point that you can get up like a normal person.
 
:loveshwr::wowspring::happydance:

You, go girl!!!!!

A suggestion for those lower kitchen cabinets. I put things in bins and put the bins in the cabinet. Then when I want something I pull the bin out, as if it was a drawer, and either grab what I want or else I put the bin on the counter to get what I want. I’ve done this for a while because my back hurts if I bend over for more than 3 seconds.
 
That is so fantastic!!! You are brave :bow:

Yesterday I started to, without thinking, kneel on my bed with my left knee (the better behaved of the two) to reach across bed and stopped dead. I was too afraid to go any further to see if I could really do it. After reading your post maybe I'll get a bit of your "can do" attitude.
 
Well Sherrie I wasn’t brave, I wanted my Internet. I had the same experience as you making the bed the other day and I stopped before putting any pressure on the knee. This morning just seemed like the right time to try it. Not sure what I would have done if I wasn’t able to come up with something. Just thinking back on those awful weeks before surgery when I was so crippled -if I dropped anything and it went under the couch or the bed that was it - I had no way to retrieve it. My knees just hurt too much.
 
Not sure what I would have done if I wasn’t able to come up with something.
You would have figured out something! When I had to get on the floor when I was non weight baring, I scooted on my butt until I came to a chair when I could back up to and push up backwards with my arms. Eventually, I was able to get my rear on the chair and off of the floor.
 
How exciting @mlwreader. About a month ago, the physical therapist told me it was time to see if I could get up from the floor. Got down and got up much the same as you did. You would have thought I won the lottery as excited as I was. Progress is sweet.
 
ou guys are the only ones who will understand the joy of this day. Another step forward in my knee recovery. I feel so blessed and so happy and like I can take on the world.
Hi, @mlwreader - I've seen a few of your posts before and have appreciated notes you've left on my thread, so tonight I decided I would read your entire thread. It took me about an hour and I can tell you it was worth every minute - you write beautifully and thoughtfully and your story from early infection to independence and your move to Denver is compelling. Tonight's post is just amazing. I loved your story about your ability to get down on your knees and reset your router. I felt your joy and happiness and know exactly what you mean. At 13 months, I am still using a pillow or pad to get down on the floor, but doing so is absolutely liberating. Being able to get into the bath tub (and out again!) was a similarly exciting experience for me. So, yea, you! And thanks for your always thoughtful posts. I needed to read something positive tonight - and there you were!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom