Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR coming up on Monday, two weeks after the first ~ Any tips on how best to get around?

I'm just trying to shake the cane now, regaining my gait and balance has been a bit wobbly but I'll get there.
Yes, you will get there. Something that helped me and many others is heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Good luck on your return to work! Let us know how it's going for you after you've been back at work for a bit.

A visual on heel-toe walking.
1674154708038.png
 
@Layla Thanks a bunch! I've been concentrating on the heel toe for about a week now. It's super easy with a grocery cart and a bit more challenging without anything but it's been my mantra here lately. I appreciate the diagram too!
 
Well, I returned to work this past Monday from a LTKR on 9/19/22 and a RTKR on 10/31/22. Before returning to work, when I wasn't walking around my house, I was elevating, all day and night, 24/7. Now that I've returned to work which is mostly a desk job but there's lots of walking in my day as well, I have sooooo much swelling! I'm unable to elevate at my desk because the clearance isn't available. I do ice them at lunch time but it doesn't seem to be near enough. Tylenol isn't really helping much. I've cut sugar, sodium, and all processed foods out to help as well. By the time I get home in the afternoon, I'm in quite a bit of pain from the swelling. It's even hard to do my exercises in the morning because of it, but I'm getting them done. I joined the gym to help with flexion but there's no way I can do the gym with how they're feeling now. I really haven't had any complaints during my recovery until this. Did I shoot myself in the foot by elevating as much as I did while I was off from work? Any ideas how to tackle it? My second post-op is next week and I was thinking of asking if there's a medication that might help with it. I'm kind of at my wits end after the last four days. Any thoughts are appreciated!
 
Hi Everyone! I've read SO much useful information over the past several months that helped me prepare both mentally and physically for my LTKR last week. I can't thank you all enough for your stories and helpful ideas. I have my RTKR scheduled for this coming Monday, two weeks after having my LTKR. My PT has been coming along ok but since my currently replaced knee is about to take over as the knee that should be doing it all, I'm getting quite anxious about it, as it feels nowhere near ready. I do have plenty of help, family-wise, I'm just concerned about the getting around part. How do you move around, get up from the toilet, get in and out of bed, etc... Any thoughts and suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! Oh, and if there are any other things that I might not be thinking about, please feel free to enlighten me on those too! Thank you! ❤️
Had bilateral knee replacement December 19. My knees are responding completely differently. RIght is healing well and quickly, left knee is raging in pain and cannot yet bare weight. So your next replacement may be completely different than the first. Use all the tools the hospital gives you; toilet support, leg lifter, walker etc. Lift your legs out of bed with tool. Don't forget, like me and try to swing your legs. The lateral movement is very painful at first. Like others have said, have lots and lots of patience with your self.
 
@1121@Turkey Thanks a bunch for your response but I posted this several months back. I'm very happy to say that both were done successfully (September and October) and you're absolutely right, they both had a very different view of what their recovery was going to look like! I sure hope you're doing well in your own recovery! That was quite the Christmas gift!
 
Did I shoot myself in the foot by elevating as much as I did while I was off from work? Any ideas how to tackle it?
I don't think your previous elevation / icing schedule has anything to do with you current swelling. What you were doing was working, but you're no longer able to keep that schedule now that you're back to work.

Swelling is a normal part of the healing process and the amount of swelling and length of time it's present varies from person to person. It can last up to six months and some surgeons even say up to twelve months post op before completely disappearing. Walking and gentle exercise should help. If it's possible to take a five minute walk every hour or so while at work, that may help. You can also do ankle pumps while sitting at your desk and make sure to stay adequately hydrated. Mention it to your surgeon at your second post op next week. He may recommend compression stockings for a time.

Jamie from Admin once explained that it is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg. You may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Hope this helps and you have a good weekend!
 
It is interesting that you still get swelling now you are back at work. My PKR is about the same age as your second TKR ( 25th Oct).I am fine if I ice plenty and move around but I got swelling again recently when I went to an exhibition and was standing looking at pictures.
I have a rocking foot stool which my daughter bought with a rocking chair for nursing her baby. I find it really great and put my feet on it and move gently whilst watching TV in the evening. Can you find a little rocking stool that fits under your desk at work or one of those little foot pedalled? I think if you could gently move your feet and elevate them even slightly under your desk it would help.
Good luck. Getting back to regular work is tough. I am pretty much retired and just do one day/ week by video from home. Even that can be a bit tough but I can rest the next day. Go easy on yourself.
 
Back
Top Bottom