Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR coming up on Monday, two weeks after the first ~ Any tips on how best to get around?

@Layla Thank you! This holiday is certainly quite different to the ones that came before it! By this time next year, I'm sure I'll be decorating and running around in the hustle and bustle, completely forgetting about my new knees. It's hard to see that now but I know it'll come. I'm almost two months out from my last TKR and I'm just now transitioning to my cane and learning steps with it too. I think I've had almost 30 PT sessions between both knees and now with the new year approaching, along with a new and rather expensive insurance deductible to meet, I'm hesitant on continuing my PT. It's been a tremendous help and my therapists have been absolutely fantastic but the financial burden I'm going to deal with in the new year is going to make it really difficult to continue. Though I do my exercises at home fairly regularly, I'm worried that my progress will suffer or I'll miss out on new exercises that I should be practicing. I know it's a long road, I'm just hoping discontinuing PT is the right path. I wish you, and everyone here, a very Merry Christmas and a beautiful new year!
 
I'm just hoping discontinuing PT is the right path.
You are far enough along that you know what to do. Just use your knee normally and you'll be just fine. Your knee knows how to rehab itself. Just be careful to not overdo or your knee will throw a temper tantrum!
 
@sistersinhim Thank you, your confirmation helps to ease my mind about that decision. Happy Holidays to you and yours!
 
I'm glad I could help ease your mind.

:santa-dance: :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Though I do my exercises at home fairly regularly, I'm worried that my progress will suffer or I'll miss out on new exercises that I should be practicing.
There is no need to continually do a list of exercises. Everything you do in the course of your day gives you “natural PT” and will help your healing knee get stronger.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
@Jockette Thank you so much for your response! I'm soooo used to hearing that formal PT is the only way to get complete ROM, so it's hard to change that mindset. Then of course, the whole "window of recovery" tends to freak a person out as well, thinking I have one chance here and if I screw this up and don't stick with PT, I'm ruining my future progress. But I have researched enough to know that everything you said is true, I guess it's just getting past what the doctors tell you and believing in the process. Happy Holidays!
 
I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he was interested in was to see what my knee would do and never measured. He never even asked about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself and obviously trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need formal PT, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and do not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
 
I agree that all we mostly hear is “do your exercises!“ and it does intimidate us to fear not to.

If you have some that you want to keep doing, and if you think they help, then do them, but gently. But, as long as you are moving around and taking care of the things you need to do each day, you’ll be fine.

Also remember, a certain amount of rest is important to your recovery, also.
 
@sistersinhim Oh my goodness, 12 knee surgeries!! I'm so sorry that you went through SO many and I sure hope your knees aren't in need of any more! Well after 12, and you're doing great, that's amazing to hear and really reassuring to know. You're all helping me to feel better about my decision and I thank you for that ❤️
 
This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
The 12 surgeries were the combined count on both knees. I was born with knee birth defects and my surgeries started in the early 80s. Back then they said I'd have to have TKRs eventually. They wouldn't even consider them until I was in my late 50s. I made it to 65 before having to have one on the right. I'm babying the left knee because I don't want another one! I am very happy that I had it done, but wish I could have had it 25 years sooner!

You are young enough that you still have a lot of time to enjoy those knees! Don't let anyone say that you have to do this or that by this or that time. It just isn't so.
 
@Jockette Wow those numbers, without PT, are awesome! Forgive me for asking, but could her case have been the exception rather than the rule? I know some people just do better than others without even trying. Are those typical numbers for members that have skipped formal PT? I've read many member's stories here that have had amazing progress without pushing PT, but would you say, more often than not, that that's the case?
 
@sistersinhim Awww, at least you know how amazing your remaining knee will feel if it has to go through a replacement now!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and story, it's really been helpful seeing everyone's input.
 
I've read many member's stories here that have had amazing progress without pushing PT, but would you say, more often than not, that that's the case?
I believe anyone can recover well and have a good outcome without doing X amount of PT. As long as you are not laying in bed 24/7, your knee will get all the helpful movement it needs as you go through your day.

I believe that some of the poor outcomes are because of the inappropriate PT they did, not the lack of PT.

I believe that there are many aspects of this recovery that I just have to let Time take care of.

I believe in giving my knee the privilege of sorting itself out, especially in the early days and weeks.

I believe my knee knows how to heal and the less interference it gets, the better.

This is how I will recover if I ever have to do this again.

I did the PT route with my current replacement. I did almost everything they asked me to do, at least once. Because I thought this was what I had to do, to get a good outcome. It caused me a lot of pain, and took days to recover from some of my “therapy” sessions. I don’t believe the PT I did was helpful at all. In fact, I ended up with a diagnosis of acute tendinitis in my shoulder, because I gripped the sides of the table too tightly when my PT bent my knee too far, at one week post op! This pain was worse than the knee pain, and the dilaudud I was taking for the knee didn‘t touch the shoulder pain.

After almost 6 years here on Bonesmart, reading literally thousands of posts, I’ll know how to rehab my knee on my own, if there’s a next time.
 
@Jockette Your poor shoulder, that sounds like a nightmare and I can certainly see how that can happen!
There's one PT where I go that I jokingly call The Torturer, he's DEFINITELY about getting the job done. I've only had him a couple of times and he's more aggressive than my other two PT's but he's pretty good about easing up if he's called out on it, but he's had me gripping the table too.
Well, it seems more movement in my day is required and then I can feel good about saying goodbye to my PT this week. Yay!
 
it seems more movement in my day is required
More movement in your day is not required. It’s easy to fall into the Over Did It Club. Just go about your day and give your knee a chance to heal.

You are very early in recovery with both knees. Remember, this recovery takes about a year. You are not training for an athletic event, you are healing.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you had a nice Christmas and you're doing well. The holidays can be draining and probably even more so as you're healing from two recent major surgeries.
Wishing you many blessings in 2023!

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: Cheers! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Bax3
 
@Layla HUGE thanks to you! I hope your Christmas was amazing! Wishing you, and everyone here, the healthiest and happiest of New Year's! ✨
 
Four month anniversary for Lefty today! I Hope all is well with both new hips and 2023 is off to a good start for you.
Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful weekend!
@Bax3
 
@Layla Both me and my new knees thank you!! I'm back to work this coming Monday with no restrictions. I'm kinda nervous, but I plan on taking it easy and icing when I can. I'm just trying to shake the cane now, regaining my gait and balance has been a bit wobbly but I'll get there. Thank you SO much and I hope 2023 brings heaps of happiness to you and your family!
 
Back
Top Bottom