Guest viewing is limited

THR Second hip recovery

It turns out it was a peptic ulcer from nsaids. A common occurrence, I understand, and now on the road to recovery with a few changes. All part of the adventure of the new hip!
 
I'm glad the cause of your anaemia was diagnosed.

We do try to warn people that NSAIDs can cause gastric bleeding. I don't think those anti-inflammatories are the harmless little pills the manufacturers would have us believe.
 
Hello and Happy Friday @Chrismcd
Thankfully you know what you’re dealing with now. I hope any discomfort you’re experiencing eases quickly.
Have a wonderful weekend!
 
It is coming together! Physiotherapist is mostly happy with me, except for rotator muscle group that is still weak and tender. The ulcer did take away nutrients so my healing is a bit slow but it should pick up now. I am feeling so much better, and energy level is returning and I no longer feel nauseous. Yes those nsaids - they are great when you need them but I guess less is best. Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement!
 
Surgeon is very happy, xrays look good. I am a bit behind in recovery but not much. He said just be patient!!! Anyway, that was such a relief. When anything goes wrong I immediately worry about the hip. But all good!
 
:yahoo:Excellent news....it will get better and better and you will get stronger as you are able to do more.
Take it slow and steady, try not to worry about the come and go recovery niggles, and listen to your body.
New hips rock.
 
Well done @Chrismcd ! I don't feel like "ahead" or "behind" are fair to use in recoveries. "Every hip is different" is way more equitable to the poor hips, which are working as hard as they can!

We ought to call it "the recovery spectrum"!
 
Great news! It’s always comforting to get the reassurance from your OS that all looks good on the x-ray. You’ll catch up in the recovery process, especially now that you’re feeling better. What one surgeon considers a bit behind, another may not. You’re making progress and doing well, that’s all that counts!
Happy Wednesday! :)
@Chrismcd
 
Wonderful news. You are on your personal recovery journey so no behind or ahead but just right for you and your hip. Have a good night.
 
Thank you all...great reminders of each hip is different! Good and safe weekend to all!
 
:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all continues to go well and you’re enjoying measurable progress.
Happy Nine Month to, Lefty, also! Don’t want poor ol Lefty feeling left out, lol.
A wonderful week to you!
@Chrismcd
 
It has been such an interesting journey with both of these hips, each completely different experience. I am making my way through the physio book which has become so important in this last (I hope) stage. I am hiking with walking sticks Every other day and getting around with a cane - my goal is to be done with the cane at 12 weeks. It has not been as fast recovery this time and it has taken time to have patience! Thank you for your support and encouragement!!!
 
Question...it is now 11 weeks and I can not fully weight bear on my new hip. Without the cane, I lurch and rock to move forward. I am doing all exercises and physio said yesterday that I have a weak gluteus medius ...working really hard at it, but even standing, it hurts like the devil with full weight and no support. I realize there were some setbacks - peptic ulcer and pulled muscle (medius), but please tell me my hip is okay!
 
Have you had among follow-ups with your surgeon, any xrays? Is this new that you're not able to fully weight bear? You might want to reach out to surgeon's office, if you haven't discussed this with them, and get a discussion going.

Another thought, if you've been checked out by the surgeon and told everything is good, maybe consider you're overdoing it. Not sure what kind of exercises the physio has you doing but they could be causing more harm than good. Maybe try stopping all exercise for a week or two, ice and elevate and see how you feel then.
 
That’s a good idea. Ice and a bit of rest at least for a bit.

Also good idea to call the surgeon. I talked to him about 6 weeks ago, right after peptic ulcer diagnosis. I had an X-ray at 2 weeks I think. So I will call tomorrow and see what he says.

I have not ever been able to put full weight on this hip but thought it was just a matter of time. Just today I started to be a bit concerned. I try to lift my good leg up without support and just can’t do it without contortions and pain. Then when I put the good foot down, it seems like muscle spasms kick in and the pain gets worse for a minute before calming down.

The exercises I am doing are those in the hospital bookevery other day. Super gentle. Only one new exercise by the physio and just started it last week and am definitely directed to not do it if there is pain. And there isn’t. So, I think that’s okay.

With the cane or walking sticks, I move quite well, which has kept me hopeful that it is just time related. But as I said, today I sort of woke up to hey it is week 11 and it should be further along or so it seems to me.

Thank you so much, that helps me feel like I have a plan at least.
 
If you are limping at all use a walking aid. It will not be possible to ditch any walking aid until you are full weight bearing. I would focus on gradually working weight bearing for now. When you start leaving your walking aid behind that's the signal that you are weaning off it.
 
:hi: Hi Chris, With any luck you’ve had a good couple weeks since you last posted.
Dropping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! Looks like a one year anniversary is coming up in a couple months for, Lefty too. :happydance:
I hope you have a lovely Thursday and relaxing weekend!
@Chrismcd
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom