THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Hi @Jaycey,

I was asking about clams because people keep asking me how my clamshells are going. So it must be very widely prescribed.

Anyway, now that my restrictions are lifted and I will be focusing on strength, I was wondering if my PT would prescibe them. If so, should i refuse to do them? They seem to be such a contentious topic here. I want to know more about them.
 
Yay! Went to physical therapy yoga today! The most satisfying pose was downward dog. Corpse pose ended up feeling like a hip flexor stretch (it will come). I'm so happy!
1003200903b~2.jpg
 
I was wondering if my PT would prescibe them. If so, should i refuse to do them?
It's up to you whether you do clamshells. They really do nothing for the hips. But they are a good exercise for building core stability and strengthening the upper leg muscles. They are usually given to new hippies too early in recovery.

Have fun with the yoga!
 
You sound so happy about the yoga. How wonderful to do something you really enjoy. Have a great day. :flwrysmile:
 
So glad to see the improvements and hoping today is a good day.:SUNsmile:
 
:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you’ve had a good week. Enjoy the weekend! :)
@Schaargi
 
Thanks @Layla!

I am doing well. My PT released me from the electrical stimulation protocol because she thinks that my nerves can activate themselves on their own! It's not pretty, but there's hope and I'm really grateful to her (my PT).

I left my job because they could not accommodate my restrictions, so I'm back focusing on my PT and relaxing from the stress.

At our house, it's pizza Friday. I love pizza! It's a good day.
 
Relaxing and Pizza:egypdance:
Might be two of my three wishes if a genie appears.:) :-) (:
Hope your weekend is Sweet and good on you for putting this recovery first....
 
My PT released me from the electrical stimulation protocol because she thinks that my nerves can activate themselves on their own!

Such wonderful news! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you’re not too discouraged with leaving your job. Now you have the ability to concentrate on your recovery without the added stress work can bring.

I love Pizza too! I hope you enjoy. :)
 
Here's a little update at 18 weeks...

My nerve damage continues to improve little by little. I still have numbness on the front of my leg from mid-thigh to just below the knee, but it isn't as intense (not as numb). The only time I notice it is when I am kneeling.

My hip seems to be doing well. I can sit cross-legged, but not quite as comfortably as previously, but I think it will come. It feels like something is stuck, but I think my restrictions for 3 months just made everything tight. I am gently working on my range of motion and am optimistic. I have a little groin pain when walking (this is new), and my PT said it is likely because my stride is getting longer, so I'm stretching muscles more than before. I also have a intermittent sharp pain in my lower back that seems to be due to tight muscles.

My biggest hurdle will be building muscle, as I have significant atrophy due to numb quads for so long. I have come a long way the past 4 1/2 months, so I hope they will continue to recover. I'm walking 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day, 5 times a week, so my stamina is also improving. I'm also practicing modified yoga, which is so very welcome.

While it was difficult, I'm relieved to have left my job teaching. My healing has made significant strides in the weeks since I left.

Anyway, just an update so I can look back at where I was at 18 weeks and for anyone else who might experience femoral nerve damage. Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Thank you for continuing to share your journey. It is so helpful for others to see how the different paths to full recovery can progress. Sending positive vibes for continued healing and progress. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for updating. I was always encouraged by updates from those who were further along in recovery than I was. I’m sure others will appreciate reading about your progress.

Thankfully you’re relieved to leave teaching behind. Now you’re able to fully concentrate on your recovery. Then...in the blink of an eye, the holidays will be upon us followed by a brand new year. Whew...Where does time go?
Hopefully 2021 will be a fantastic year for you!
@Schaargi
 
Hi all,

I'm reaching out for some support. I went to physical therapy yesterday and my PT wants to release me in November. Apparently, I am a rock star at doing PT homework (this is a bit unusual for me, but it's a motivation when you are concerned that you might be permanently paralyzed). I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep it up for months on end without checking in with a professional.

So, now I'm panicking. While I am truly grateful that my PT has done so much to wake up my nerves, I'm worried that I will never be able to get back to where I was. My nerves are waking up, but my muscles are atrophied, my stamina is weak, and my stability is shaky.

When will I be able to participate in a real exercise class? Will I ever be able to dance? Will I ever be able to walk my dog? Will I ever be able to go out without being worried that I will fall? We had snow on Sunday and I couldn't get to the mail box or do any shoveling because I'm just not steady enough.

I'm only 56. I am worried that I will walking like an 80-year-old who is constantly tentative and worried about falling.

I know I'm only at 5 months, but I can't stop the worry right now.

How will I know what to do to get to those goals?

I'm also having other issues with COVID and aging parents and a few other things, but this has pushed me over the edge.

I need some hope. I'm having a really rough day.
 
Let’s look at the positives you shared -
My nerve damage continues to improve little by little.
I still have numbness on the front of my leg from mid-thigh to just below the knee, but it isn't as intense
I have come a long way the past 4 1/2 months, so I hope they will continue to recover. I'm walking 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day, 5 times a week, so my stamina is also improving. I'm also practicing modified yoga, which is so very welcome.
My healing has made significant strides in the weeks since I left.

PT releasing you sounds like a good sign also. Before your last PT session share your concerns and ask if they will set you up with a list of exercises to engage in over the next several months. I’m sure they’ll be happy to oblige as they want you to succeed just as much as you want to succeed.

I understand it’s easier said than done but please try not to project, but stay present and enjoy the weekly or monthly strides you’re making. As you mentioned, you’re only five months post op which isn’t even halfway through the estimated one year timeline for full recovery.....that is for some, not all. Some take longer.

Since you’re dealing with other issues that are stressful, please take time to rest and disconnect from other’s problems from time to time for your own peace of mind. You’re doing well, making steady progress and will continue to do so. Have faith in yourself. I‘m sure much brighter days are in your future.

Sending a hug and lifting you in prayer for comfort, and peace of mind. :console2:
 
You have many things happening in your life and that is stressful and makes it hard to deal with recovery at times. I see you are experiencing improvements so that is all good and very positive.

If you are concerned about not having anyone to check in with, you can ask your doctor for a PT re-evaluation once a month or even once every 2 or 3 months as a way to help you gauge your progress.

As Layla said, take a breath and one day at a time with your devotion to PT homework you will see more progress. Wishing you a peaceful day and night. :flwrysmile: :console2:
 
If you are concerned about not having anyone to check in with, you can ask your doctor for a PT re-evaluation once a month or even once every 2 or 3 months as a way to help you gauge your progress.

That's a good idea. Actually, I will ask my PT for that, as my surgeon has not been very supportive (those surgeons seem to lose interest after a while)

Thanks for reality check and kind messages, @leejaa, @Mojo333 and @Layla! It was just a shock, as I am not feeling anywhere near where I want to be.

Whew! One say at a time.
 
@Schaargi
I think you have held tough through the unexpected complications and you deserve a little nerve wracked meltdown as you continue to struggle
Layla is right...there has been improvement and I know it may not seem fast enough or there is enough anxiousness about ongoing issues that it must feel hard to stay optimistic.
You have the PT protocol down pat by now and I know you can keep on keeping on doing what you feel is helpful...and at 4 months out there is lots of room for improvement.

We all deserve a pity party just can't turn it into a soiree.
:nah:
We're all rooting for you and unfortunately I can't give you any timelines ...but hope you know we care and your outreach to others on the forum amidst your own struggles shows me you are kind and generous.
Good mojo coming your way ...:friends:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom