THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

So happy to hear you are steadily seeing improvements.
A positive attitude and patience (not exactly my strong suit) is tantamount to recovery, in my opinion.
Keep the faith, you are doing great!:ok:
 
Okay, so this hip flexor pain isn't funny anymore. :headbang: I have had a rough few days with it and I looked back at my notes and realized I have been complaining of the hip flexor pain since my very first doc appointment. I know you guys (bonesmart community) are big proponents of ice, but what if ice isn't helping? Any ideas?
 
Lots of sitting and resting early days, which is on itself important, does often lead to tight hip flexors.

The exercises I found most helpful but done very gently and not in excessive repetition, were pelvic tilts when lying in bed engaging glutes and another very gentle stretch: lying with your behind at very edge of bed, I would let affected leg hang off the side and slowly lower towards the ground until a mild/moderate stretch is felt in the front part of the thigh/hip.
When I felt that this was loosening up, a week or so later I would do this exercise and at the same time, grab opposite knee and pull it gently towards my chest to increase the stretch.

These exercises were given to me by me by a therapist and he helped support my leg and make sure I didn't fall of the table when he showed me.
My husband helped a few times at home until I was confident with my muscle control so leg didn't fall dramatically ...
 
Also, you are far enough out to see if a little heat might help.
It is definitely a process...and regular old walking on flat surfaces in good shoes working on slowly lengthening stride can help most...for glutes and hip flexors.
The trick is always the balance of enough, but not too much.:good-bad:
 
Thanks, Mojo333! I have been doing the gentle leg hanging off the bed stretch but will try the others, which might be easier for me to do. Thank you!

It's been really painful the last few days, of course, right before I go back to work on Tuesday. (I got a little panicked)

Have you had any results from massage or foam rolling?
 
@Schaargi I had good help from PT with the right hip, which I'd given a tendonitis all by myself. She had very good hands. She asked where it hurt, looked at the scar, especially the little puckers/bumps, and pulled out a little vibrating tool with a cone-shaped rubber head attachment. Several sessions with that and her manual trigger point releases were very helpful. Unfortunately I overdid it twice again after that in the first year, and didn't seek therapy. One of my ODIC's was Mojo's "hang off the bed" stretch, which felt wonderful on everything except my painful SI joint, until one night it didn't. And I wasn't even elongating the stretch with the other leg. So clearly I went too far on that one. Be like Mojo, not me!
 
@zauberflöte, you crack me up! :rotfl:

I went to PT today. My regular PT is vacation so I had two different people today. Apparently I am a bit of a celebrity because none of them have actually worked with someone with extensive femoral nerve damage. I politely declined to give autographs (kidding). The first woman assured me that this pain is normal with an anterior approach, and the other PT dug in under my hip bone to do a psoas release. It helped.

Thanks, friends, for the suggestions. Keep 'em comin'!
 
@Schaargi oh psoas release would send me to the land of pain-free delight, I'm on my way to your PT!

Josephine wrote a post, probably an article in the info section, about just exactly how deep the psoas is inside there. Do you have a permanent divot in your abs and innards now?:heehee:
 
Do you have a permanent divot in your abs and innards now?
:rotfl: That made me laugh @zauberflöte. My massage therapist does it to me, she digs so deep I should have a permanent indentation. I bring my knee up and she manages to dig even deeper! I asked if she could feel it was tight. She said no, but she knew it was from my expression, groans, and the fact I stop breathing!

Hope the relief lasts @Schaargi.
 
I think that massage could very well help, but so much of the effectiveness of bodywork depends on your particular therapist. If you are close enough to Boulder for this to make sense ... then I highly recommend Victoria at FACWellness. Looks like, from the web, that they are open. I sure wish I was close enough for this to make any sense whatsoever for me personally.
 
If you are close enough to Boulder for this to make sense ... then I highly recommend Victoria at FACWellness.
Hi @cstinchcomb! I'm in the Springs, so that's almost 90 minutes in the car. It would probably undo the massage, right? You are right-- it totally depends on the practitioner. Do you know what kinds of questions I should ask of a new massage therapist?
 
@zauberflöte and @helenium, I didn't get a sent at all, and it wasn't even intense. Was he going easy on me because I was a first timer? (Actually, I am one of those people who always tells massage therapists that they can put more pressure on me.) I have a high threshold. I didn't know there was such a thing as a psoas release. I will need to seek it out!
 
Do you know what kinds of questions I should ask of a new massage therapist?

@Mojo333 might know. You could try to find a massage therapist near you who is also a hippie ...

I have a friend who lives up by the Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo ... he's very active, I'll ask him. He's also the type to really research things, and he's been living there for probably 20 years (time goes by, doesn't it?)

Yeah, I think that's too far of a drive; 90 min best case. You could contact facwellness, describe your situation a little, and ask either Victoria or Michael Scholl (the owner) if there's someone they'd recommend in the Springs who would be good post-surgery. Otherwise, it's really hard to tell from an interview. We could use someone here, actually ... but with the covid, ugh.

All the best for the long weekend.
 
I haven't had experience with a massage therapist...sounds delicious at 3 years out ...I was pretty much a chicken about folks with hands on therapy after an early on aggressive PT.
No putting an elbow in my thigh:flabber:
Not criticizing, for sure, just not familiar ..
 
Sorry, @Mojo333 , my memory's no good. I should have tagged @CricketHip, oops, for input. The lymph moving breathwork was really helpful to me early on.

I'm still pretty early but massage is starting to sound delicious here too. I don't know how it's going with the Surgeon Recommender here. It would be great if that could be extended to other practitioners and facilities like hospitals when time and budget permits.
 
Thanks, all! I'm going to ask the PT people if they have recommendations. I know a couple of massage therapists but not sure if they can do what I need. We have a lot of resources here so I'll keep investigating.:what:
 
Hi @Schaargi and thank you @cstinchcomb for the tag.
There are many different and effective techniques offer through massage therapy but for now it is a good thing to look for a LMT or CMT offers a therapeutic massage with at the most, moderate pressure.
My son and DIL live in the Springs also. My DIL had someone that she loved going to, if you’d like, I can ask her for their name?
Personally, I find good therapists who have their own practice, they can control their schedule and aren’t pressured to see too many a day. Well, most of the time, that is.
I’d be happy to research the ones you are thinking of, if you’d like.
 
@cstinchcomb its not too early for you to get massages, I started around 4 weeks, I believe.
I feel sad when I hear about elbows being used or digging deep, there’s so much more to a good session than that.
 
Thanks, @CricketHip! Is there a reason you recommend a moderate touch? I am usually the one who is always asking massage therapists to apply more pressure, so maybe I'm going about it wrong?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom