THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

I went to my special rehab yoga class today. It runs every 2 weeks and this is my third class, so I've been going for a month.

I was able to feel improvement from the first time I attended the class. I can *almost* do child's pose now, which was painful the first time. I also feel a deeper lunge in my warrior poses. Thinking back on my first class a month ago, I feel more confident and stable, so I am now more hopeful that I can continue to improve without physical therapy.

I can't help but feel a bit abandoned but am trying not to take it personally. It helped a lot to go to yoga and think back on my first class a month ago. Things are looking up.:thumb:
 
Hi @Schaargi
I'm happy you are feeling encouraged and I am glad to hear you mention this is a "special rehab" yoga.
I'm hoping you are going slow and pursuing it incrementally and try not to do anything that causes pain or undue soreness. Overstretching can be bad on still healing tissue.

I always worry a bit about some of the poses and overstretching as when I look back at my recovery - 5 months out - I still experienced tightness and soreness after a long day and as I added "new poses" into my daily life back to work.:heehee:

I've never done formal yoga, though my DIL just became a certified instructor, I might check it out.
I'm sure you are staying in tune with your body and I'm glad you feel this is helping.

Hope I don't sound like a Debbie Downer, but I have been pegged the resident Cassandra at times :) :-) (:
Just want everyone to have great outcomes and stay patient.
Some things really are a matter of time which is completely out of our control.:bored:

Hope your Sunday is healing and happy.
 
Hi @Schaargi
I'm hoping you are going slow and pursuing it incrementally and try not to do anything that causes pain or undue soreness. Overstretching can be bad on still healing tissue.
Hi @Mojo333 ! Thanks for you kind comments and concern. I am such a chicken and afraid of overdoing anything, I am pretty sure I won't injure myself. All the students are pre- or post- joint surgery. I'm so grateful to have this class because I would probably not even try any yoga poses on my own.

The physical therapist gives all of us modifications and lets us know what might aggravate a hip or knee or shoulder. She has encouraged me to try a couple of things that I had no idea I could do! I love it when that happens!

Part of my general stress is that I am frustrated with my own hesitation to try new things, so this class is the best.

I'm wishing you a peaceful day with your extra hour! Thanks for replying.
 
Hello and Happy Monday,
I just read a post of yours elsewhere. Wishing you comfort and strength for today. I know you’re longing for life as you’re dreaming it will be. I realize it’s taking longer than planned and pray you’ll soon get there. Thanks for all of your kind contributions to the forum and for sharing your personal journey here, you’re appreciated.
Hugs
@Schaargi
 
Update on PT... I talked to my PT today. I asked why she wanted to release me, expressed my fears, and asked where she thought I should go from here. She basically said that the nerve is healing on its own now, so no intervention is needed there, and all I really need is strengthening, which I can do at home.

I am going to have one more appointment this month and one next month for a check. That appointment in December makes a lot of difference in my anxiety, so I'm feeling better. She gave me some more home exercises to do that help pinpoint some of my concerns.

My challenge now is to stay motivated to keep doing them. This is not my strong suit. I have trouble doing exercises for exercise's sake (it's so tedious!). It feels like I'm starting over with my healing but without someone to help guide me. It feels daunting but will try to stay in the present. One day at a time and hopefully it will continue to improve. I really want to be able to walk my dog!
 
Hi @Schaargi :wave:
I understand how having a therapist work with you keeps us "accountable"as I did go to a new PT at about 3 months post-op, after dropping it early days because it was overly aggressive.
They were working with me on gait, and some stretching for SI joint and strengthening .
I was sent home with home exercises too, which i also found tedious and self motivation seemed hard for me too.
I did try to do designate times to do them and did very small blocks several times a day vs lots of reps which was most helpful to me.
I'm sure you also are wearying of the "recovery game" and used to staying occupied with your work....along with the Restrictions in areas still with pandemic ....makes it easy to get down.
What kind of dog do you have?
Can someone go with you to take your dog so you can get out some too?
You have made such strides in your recovery....and have also been so helpful to other members with struggles.
I'm hoping you keep on keeping on....I could ask you everyday if you've done your exercises, if that would help?:heehee:
 
Thank you so much, @Mojo333! I appreciate your thoughts and words.

I walk every night with my husband, who has my dog on the leash. She's a 50-pound Dalmatian. So I do get some time outside with them both after he comes home from work. My PT gave me some exercises to improve my reaction to balance challenges. That gave me so much hope! That's what I will miss. I tell her my concerns and she comes up with an exercise to help get me to where I want to go.

Thanks for offering to bug me about my exercises. :giggle: I have a chart to mark them off and know I can keep it up in the short term. Looking at months on end overwhelmed me, so I just need to stop looking so far ahead and take one day at a time.They are just so BORING :bored:.

I gotta figure out how to help myself feel the confidence boost from when I go to PT and she asks my what worked and what didn't and helps me troubleshoot so I can get stronger the right way. Thanks again. Talking/typing through this helps me gain perspective. I appreciate you! :loveshwr:
 
:roseshwr:Oh, Dalmatians are such beautiful dogs...but oh so strong too.
The exercises can be booooring but the main part, I think, as you say is the feedback and attention one gets when working one on one.
Seems like after we get more independent and the flow of Get Well Soons commence, we can feel a bit isolated and restricted....if course, in this pandemic world there are alot of folks struggling with that too.
You used to be a very busy teacher and this must feel very slow motion-like to you.

Keep the faith...
You are doing well.:flwrysmile:
 
If I had your gift for writing @Schaargi, I could have written your recent posts myself!
I have a chart to mark them off
Me too! But I confess that after several days when I've not ticked anything I start another :whistle:...
They are just so BORING :bored:
I bet they're not as boring as mine!
My challenge now is to stay motivated to keep doing them
I found that regular PT contact helped me stick at them. But I had just 4 telephone appointments (Covid rules), and my progress was so slow she discharged me and left me to get on with all 18 of them myself. Loved Mojo's offer to keep tabs on you!
 
I have trouble getting motivated, so I turn on my music, and go for it. It's a great way to improve your mood, and before I know it ....my exercises are complete and my mood is much better!!
 
I'm at 5 months and my last official PT appointment was today. I went with a bunch of questions, mainly about various aches and pains and what to do if they continue. She showed me what I might consider buying online if my makeshift home gym equipment doesn't work, like the torturous (!) resistance band for my side steps with resistance. I'm using a Theraband folded over three times and it rolls up and cuts into my leg, so I might go for it. I also might need an instability pillow for balance, because balance is key to being able to walk my dog.

One of my issues is that my hip feels "stuck" at times and she thinks I might have reached the range of my implant. I hope not, as I want to be able to regain most of my range of motion, so I will continue to gently stretch and work with it.

I will continue to attend the special therapy yoga, which will help me gauge improvement, as we do the same thing every week. (Plus, it's a physical therapist who runs the class, so I can ask if I have questions). Hopefully it will keep me going, as I will be able to check in with someone every other week.

I will keep checking in, as I need to have connection with other "hippies."
 
Great update @Schaargi . Sounds like things are finally falling into place for you.

You will indeed continue to build ROM. For some of us it just takes longer. Keep doing what you are doing. It is obviously just what your hip needs.
 
I will keep checking in, as I need to have connection with other "hippies."

Great! We’re happy to hear it. We like updates and we like you too. :yes:

Congrats with moving on from formal PT.
Its all progress and a move in the right direction. :yay:
Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Day 3. Exercises, a recumbent bike ride, and rehab yoga done! Woot woot!
 
:yes!:Glad to see you staying motivated... Hope this is helping!
Happy Sunday @Schaargi
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom