THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

I understand that the principal is desperately trying to access all resources.. you can be as accommodating and charitable as Mother Teresa....once you take care of You.
Yes, I am pushing back and keeping my request for time off. If it's not approved, I will hold firm on hourly boundaries. It's unfortunate, as the quality of my teaching will suffer.
 
I am so sorry that you could not get the extra two weeks. I am amazed that the surgeon would not agree (Boos for him)
I was surprised, too. He was running late and in a hurry and I could barely get a sentence out. I tried to explain what my job was and he said he wasn't concerned with that. He was so dismissive! It's kind of weird, but I feel betrayed. Thanks for your support.
 
Well I guess you are going to have to be firm with this situation. I have many teachers in my family and the work is endless. It will take some discipline on your part. So sorry your OS was a bear!
 
Hi @Schaargi
I’m sorry to read this. I hope you’re allowed to get by with the bare minimum if you are unable to have the time you’re requesting off. Your surgeon sounds inconsiderate and dismissive, which is sad, I’m sure it was a big disappointment. With any luck today will be a good one in spite of it all and hopefully it’s resolved soon so you know where you stand.
Enjoy the weekend and stay in touch. We’re here for support. :)
 
Well I guess you are going to have to be firm with this situation. I have many teachers in my family and the work is endless. It will take some discipline on your part. So sorry your OS was a bear!
Am update to the ongoing saga... Even though my doctor cleared me with restrictions, I insisted that I am not ready to return. Seriously, I am not firing on all cylindars yet, and simply can't do the job.

Much fussing ensued (quite stressful) and I finally just went out and got a sub for myself. I put the absence in the system and notified my admin team. Then, the director of Human Resources called me at home. After talking with me, he agreed that I was "not fit for duty" and wants to go about it in a different way. The District will contact my surgeon with the request. Hopefully, my surgeon will rethink it and sign off. Gosh, I hate to be so obstinate, but I'm simply unable to do this job right now. I just need another couple of weeks to pull it together.

So, yes, @Jaycey, I am certainly being firm. It's terrible timing with COVID and everything, but it can't be helped.

I'm continuing to make really good progress with the damaged nerve. It itches now, which is a good sign, and I was a sore after a PT session last week. Yeah, you might think soreness would be a bad thing, but I FELT sore! Yay! Sore is better than numb!

Later, friends...
 
@Schaargi So sorry you have to go through all that stress at work. Recovery and Covid are stress enough. But you did the right thing.

Post my RTHR I went back to the office at 6 weeks due to pressure from my employer. I was OK in the morning but at about 2PM I hit a brick wall. Crushing fatigue. I left work and went home straight to bed. The next day I insisted on a phased return.

Sounds like that nerve is waking up! :yes!:
 
:fingersx: your surgeon signs off so you can be done with that... Relax, and continue getting better.
Hope your Sunday is sweet.:SUNsmile:
 
Sending positive vibes that the surgeon signs off and the extra stress stops. Have a peaceful day.
 
@Schaargi congrats on the nerve wake!
And also good for you for taking matters into your own hands. Sorry you had to do all that work, and I hope that between the district and the surgeon, agreement is found!

I don't believe you are being obstinate. I believe you are being "safety first", which is posted right up there at all the water coolers! Y'all are all expected to be superwo/man, and you generally are! -- but these are extraordinary circumstances.
 
10 week update...

I'm going to take a break from my work saga to tell you guys that my leg is definitely waking up! The numbness is shrinking little by little and I can feel some weird feelings in my quads, including itching.

I am walking or biking every day. I can bike a little more than 4 miles in 25 minutes (with just a tiny bit of resistance) on my mom's recombent bike, and can walk 1/2 mile in a little more than 15 minutes. I'm still icing regularly, massaging my scar, doing some gentle foam rolling, gentle strengthing exercises (no clams!) and gentle stretching.

Things are looking up!
 
Hello and Happy Monday @Schaargi
I do hope you get the time off you need. It’s too bad it has to be so stressful and become a job to obtain more time to heal from major surgery. It sounds like you’re making some nice measured progress. Keep up the good work and enjoy the week!!
 
Wonderful. Happy for your itches and twinges since they are signs of good things happening. :upright::walking:great job.
 
11 week update...

I'm continuing to make small improvements. My quats are doing better. I can step up on the 5-inch step at physical therapy and graduated to 3 inches on the step down (that one is harder).

I can walk 30 minutes around my neighborhood, and I am incorporating small slopes (a little scary so my husband accompanies me).

I'm really happy with how far I've come. The first couple days after my surgery, I couldn't even twitch my knee! I remember when I twitched it in the doctor's office, everyone cheered. Now I can sit in a chair and lift my foot to the point where my leg is almost straight, and I'm done with that awful leg brace.

The only frustration I have is my painful hip flexor. Dry needling at physical therapy helps, and they said to keep stretching super gently (I'm still on restriction for back extension because of the anterior approach).

The school district wants a certification from the doctor to clear me to return. I met with the physician's assistant to assess where I am, and she was much more detailed than my surgeon had been. Wow, the Fitness to Return to Duty criteria are pretty interesting for teachers. I hadn't realized how many physical requirements there were in my job description! The PA cleared me to go back next week with several restrictions, which are sensible.

We are still doing online school and will start with the kids on Sept. 14.

So, things are looking up! :happydance:

Can't wait for yoga and swimming soon...
 
Hi @Schaargi
You’re doing great and it sounds like you’re in good shape to go back to work on September 14th, especially given you have another couple weeks to gain strength and catch up on rest.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the week!
 
I can't wait to start doing more strenuous stuff too! I will be able to for the first time in years. I've never done yoga, but I want to bend and stretch like a rubber band now, with brand new hips. And I want to bike hardcore in the Spring. :D
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom