THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Hi Schaargi,
I hope you get the results soon and an answer to what’s causing the pain. Hopefully then a plan can be formulated. Wishing you comfort, speedy relief and a pleasant weekend.
@Schaargi
 
Okay! I have three balls to juggle here:

1. Exercises: Although my standing exercises are pretty limited, I am still doing the floor exercises to keep my muscles engaged. At this point, any weight on my un-operated hip has the potential of causing that awful stabbing pain. It's fairly unpredictable. :sorry:

2. Surgical leg/nerve damage: At almost a year I think my surgical hip is ok. The muscles are definitely awake :yes!: but I haven't been able to really test it due to the other hip pain. I have a little bit of skin numbness but no big deal. My leg is a bit skinny and flabby still but I think that will come. The one thing I am concerned/disappointed about is my range of motion turning my knee to the side while bent (standing, I can barely get it to 30 degrees). Will I ever be able to do a plie? Not a deep one, but a medium one?

3. Pre-op (?) on the other leg? Sigh. Waiting for MRI results. Anyone have any ideas for managing the pain? Tylenol and Ibuprofen aren't doing a thing; ice and heat make it worse.

I will let y'all know what the MRI says. Fingers crossed for some answers.:fingersx:
 
I'm so sorry to hear of all this trouble you're having, @Schaargi. Hoping you get some answers soon, and better yet, some resolution. I'm rooting for you--and me, and all of us who are struggling.
 
Hi all,

Has anyone read the book Heal Your Hips: How to Prevent Hip Surgery and What to Do if You Need It?

My sister just had a consult with a surgeon who recommended this book to her. (Yes, my sis and I both have hip troubles!)
 
@Schaargi Good to hear that your nerve damage is recovered. My left without nerve damage has bigger numb area so I now concluded that the surgery itself will cause some level of numbness and it will take time to recover and for the nerve to rebuild. It is hard to tell if it is from nerve damage is what I feel.
My thigh with the nerve damage has recovered. However due to lack of exercise for a while (and because my other hip replacement) it has been weak and that's something I have been working on now.
So sorry to hear about your other hip problem. Crossing my fingers for you.
 
Hi @chialiyu !

Nice to see you here! Yes, the nerve damage looks like it's on the way out. Not completely healed or as strong as I was before but I'm pretty confident I will be able to get close. I have an area that is still numb and there is a muscle above my knee that I can tell isn't quite up to snuff yet. Yet. :yes:

Your numbness might just be that the nerve is still angry at this point, so don't worry. They told me it would take a year and I'm at 11 1/2 months.
 
Hi all,

I have the results of my MRI. My follow-up with the surgeon isn't until May 26.

Apparently, there are "abnormal" signals in the superior, anterior and inferior labrum, with the superior one being more linear. Just mild osteoarthritis.

So this debilitating pain is not really due to arthritis. Similar results from the MRI on my other hip before surgery. So I suffer from wimpy labrums?:shrug:

I'll talk to my surgeon on the 26th and will probably get a second opinion. I am having trouble deciding if I want him to do the surgery because I didn't feel much aftercare support and am weighing whether or not that's a deal breaker.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like that MRI didn't shed much light on the level of pain you're having. It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon has to say. Also sounds like a very good idea to get at least one more opinion... Wishing you the best, @Schaargi, wherever the road leads you next.
 
I went to my special PT yoga class today and did pretty well. Of course, I'm always better in the mornings, but it made me happy. I am getting a little better with Warrior 1, and the PT leading the class coached me a bit regarding the pressure I feel on the outside of my hips, which was great. It's so helpful to have someone right there to ask. Otherwise, I am trying to replicate it and explain it to my doctor, who wouldn't know Warrior 1 from Downward Facing Dog.:puppysmooze:

I also asked the PT yoga teacher about the labral tears and she said that some labral tears can be extremely painful, depending on where they are. That helps me feel better. I was worries that my surgeon would think I was exaggerating.

Anyway, the class was good. I am still taking baby steps but can see little improvements. :)
 
Here's my weekly exercise post... I'm still doing all the PT home exercises that don't hurt. I added forward leg lifts back into the routine, now that I know my groin pain is a torn labrum and not tendinitis. I'll go easy so I don't overdo it.

My follow-up for the MRI on my non-surgical hip is Wednesday, and then I get to see my surgeon again on June 9 for my one-year post-op appointment. Hope everyone has a good week!
 
Glad you are doing well, and are able to exercise.
I have a torn labrum and find a few gentle hip stretches keeps the pain away.
Have a good week.
 
Thanks, @Pumpkln

I appreciate your support. Actually, I am not able to exercise in any satisfying way. :sad: My exercise is limited to a few PT exercises and stretches. I have trouble stretching my hip flexors on the labral tear side because the pain kicks in before I can feel a stretch. It's a struggle. Sorry to be a downer. I'm having a rough couple of years.
 
There are no easy answers with labral tears. Is there a reason you are not having a THR on your right hip, other that the obvious rough recovery from your left THR?
 
@Pumpkln

I just had the MRI (had been through the cortisone shot, stretching, and the PT routine before doc ordered the MRI), so I am just now seeing a diagnosis emerge. I have an appt with the surgeon on Wednesday to discuss options. The MRI showed mild arthritis and doesn't seem to show anything that could be causing the intense pain.

This is the surgeon who did my last surgery. He is considered the best surgeon in the area according to skill (he's quite remarkable) but he's also the one who wouldn't write a note to my employer for modifications after 8 weeks and the one who told me my slow recovery was because I wasn't adding resistance and riding the bike more.

My insurance is being fussy so I'm also waiting for that to settle a bit before proceeding on to a second opinion with a doctor who might have a better bedside manner. I am struggling with the choice between a technically superior surgeon and heading to an "unknown."

I am likely bound for another THR. Thanks again; it helps to talk (type) things out. :thankyou:
 
Hi all,

Has anyone read the book Heal Your Hips: How to Prevent Hip Surgery and What to Do if You Need It?

My sister just had a consult with a surgeon who recommended this book to her. (Yes, my sis and I both have hip troubles!)
Our local library has this book, so I just put a hold on it...look forward to hearing what it says, though in my case I think the horse may have left the barn already :sad:
 
Glad you had an MRI, keep us posted on what your OS says.
Hopefully your second opinion will have a better bedside manner and excellent surgical skills.
 
I use a cool pack rather than a cold pack, by putting an extra layer of towel. I have also used Voltaren Jel.
You have to try it to see if it works for you.
 
I'm back from my MRI consultation with the surgeon.

He doesn't believe my arthritis is bad enough to warrant hip replacement and is willing to try a labral repair, with the caveat that it might not relieve my pain completely and that I will probably need a hip replacement down the road. He showed me a picture from the MRI, pointing out what he was seeing, including a small cyst.

He instructed me to avoid movements that hurt and wrote a prescription for Meloxicam to help with the pain. He said that "sometimes things like this just go away."

He also urged me to think about the options and get a second opinion, either with a hip replacement specialist or a hip preservation specialist (for arthroscopic labral repair).

I talked to him about feeling dismissed after the last surgery. He apologized for coming across that way and encouraged me to call (his cell phone) any time with questions, concerns or clarifications. That felt good.

I'm hoping that the Meloxicam relieves the pain enough that I can strengthen the right muscles through PT. Not sure what else to do. I can't stay away from the movements that hurt, as those include walking and standing. Fingers crossed that Meloxicam does the trick.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom