Guest viewing is limited

Scared stiff !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi asnell1955. I see that your date is coming ups very soon. I too was very anxious about this surgery, but you know what it wasn't that bad at all. I'm a little over 6 weeks out & my new hip feels great. It took me a long time to finally set the actual date because I so worried I'd be that patient that things just didn't go as planned. It is a big surgery & there is no going back, but the thing is what you've got now is actually pretty well shot & it isn't going to get better. The hospital & doctors have this down pat, and they want you to have a good outcome. Hoping this helps with anxiety, btw they let me take my anxiety pill the am of my surgery. Hope we see ya on the other side with typical recovery thread.
 
Hi gardengal, thank you for your words of encouragement , I feel like I'm in a tunnel and can't find my way out , the feelings of anxiety getting worse as I get closer , fear of unknown is hard to deal with but I'm on this site 24/7 to push myself toward reaching my goal with the help of you lovely Bonesmart friends , keep up the good work !
 
If you are in a tunnel - the way out is straight ahead - keep going! The surgery is not as bad as it sounds, most hospitals/staff are great and while recovery can take a few weeks, it's not so terrible if you just give yourself some time and be patient while you heal. My daughter is a doctor and when I was worrying about it, she just said "Mom, this is now just routine surgery". I told her that maybe it was for the doctors but it's not for the patient! But actually knowing that the hospital/Doctor/other staff do know how to take care of you is comforting. When things get bad enough that it's time for this surgery, it's just time to do it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
the feelings of anxiety getting worse as I get closer , fear of unknown is hard to deal with
As charmed has already said, this is a "day at the office" for your surgeon and the team. Trust them and tell everyone you meet at the hospital you are anxious. They deal with this every day and will do everything the can to help you stay calm and comfortable.
 
Asnell1955 I too was very worked up about having surgery. My husband was trying to get me to look on the bright side one day and I just got so aggravated I yelled "People die during surgery, you know!". His reply...."well, LOTS of people live!" And that just hit my funny bone and I started to laugh....yes, lots do live! And here I am five weeks after hip one looking forward to hip two in May. Just take it one day at a time. I read a lot of the post op threads prior to my surgery and that really helped me. Take care!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hello my friends I'm afraid I'm having some bad luck , woke shivering and achey with hi temp flu like I'm bed bound and feel so emotional ,why now I ask myself ,maybe sever stress but felt too ill to go for bloods today .
My surgeon told me if he doesn't operate this Sat he would discharge me but this isn't my fault !
Can anyone advise please ;(
 
@asnell1955, I have moved the above post from the hip surgery list into your own thread where it is more likely that you will get a response to your concern. I am going to tag @Josephine who I am sure can respond to this.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi My THR is booked for 27th Feb next Sat and I am so anxious I cannot sleep. I need both doing and have cancelled twice but now am "end stage disease" and can't walk due to excruciating pain, can anyone reassure me?
Yes, I can reassure you. I had mine done on Monday there and am home and comfy already. The relief from pain is incredible - that's not to say the leg isn't sore but I can sit or lie down without the locking agony I used to get and every day feels a little better instead of a little worse. The actual operation was fine. I was nervous going in but remember nothing from "I'm going to make you sleepy now" to waking up in recovery, feeling a bit shivery but otherwise okay. To be honest, it was the first time I have slept properly in a few months and even that felt good! I need to have my left one done too and now I just can't wait.
Go for it. You can do it and you will be so glad afterwards!
 
I'd be more concerned about you if you weren't anxious! But it's perfectly common for people to range between uncertainty and outright panic. This is a big deal and you will be handing yourself over into the care of total strangers that you will probably not even set eyes on and letting them do things you have no idea about and that is scary. Only crumb of comfort I can offer is that these strangers do this several times a day, every day of the week. Or to put it another way, for you this is a big, unknown and scary deal, for them it's just another day at the office. But you can trust them. I used to be one of those unseen and unknown people in the OR and I took care of every individual that came into my care just as much as if they had been my own mother or father. They will too because they are professionals and know their job. So the only thing you really have to fear is the unknown and that we can help you with. Read around here and be educated. It will help you greatly.
 
Good evening my Bonesmart friends I am running a fever and feel flu like.i am seeing a dr this evening , what ever this is either be textual or viral I feel my body is telling me I'm not in good health for surgery , this is the worse thing to happen just before surgery as anyone had this happen to them ?
Thank you for reading my post , bed bound pre op ;(
 
Sorry for predictive text mistake I meant bacterial or viral re above post
 
Oh my, how worrisome for you! I just read someone else's post who was running a mild fever the day of surgery, but her surgeon went ahead and operated. I wish I could remember who it was. I'm sure your surgeon will have a protocol that he or she follows. I'll try and find the thread and post it for you. In any case, I pray it clears up quickly before the 27th. Well wishes!
 
I've been blessed with such an easy recovery (so far) and I can honestly say I haven't had any bad days at all. I would describe my worst days as being just an inconvenience. I pray you experience the same thing once you have yours. Remember, sometimes things look like they're bad in our eyes, but maybe, just maybe, they are unseen blessings...just saying. Hugs! :-)
 
@asnell1955 - I truly hope you are doing better. I am sure this is nerve racking being so close to surgery. The Drs will know what to do. They see this all of the time. Try and not worry too much if at all possible. You are in my prayers
 
Oh dear, how scary and annoying! I hope you feel better and can have surgery as planned!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Thank you for your kind comments and well wishes , my partner is taking good care of me and with any luck I will have a new date soon .
Best Wishes Ange
 
Hi guys just to inform you my new date is 30th April, I will be login at regular intervals to check on your progress, please keep posting when you feel up to it , stay focused you're all doing great !
Healing thoughts to the Bonesmart Community :flwrysmile:
 
So sorry you had to postpone your surgery @asnell1955 . But you do want to be totally healthy pre-op. Take care and get well soon. We look forward to following your journey in April.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom